Shite matches that you love

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

perhaps my favourite thing about that match is babyface Scott Steiner wearing the stars and stripes in Canada, and nobody thinking that might be at least part of the reason the crowd are shitting on it.

For a man who claimed to love the NWA & WCW, Triple H fair butchered the careers of some big WCW names who came across back then. Scotty, Booker & Goldberg did not emerge from feuds with Haitch with much credit or momentum. Steiner was pretty much finished after his run with him, wasn't even on Mania that year just 3 odd months after his debut and (presumably) on a decent contract. Was farting around with the likes of Test & poxy La Resistance by the end of the year.

18 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I sometimes wonder if HHH deliberately made Steiner look shite as revenge for Ric Flair. Which is embarrassing school yard shit but...

He made look Big Bad Bill Goldberg look dumb too. Less said about booker the better. Vince doesn't think wcw is as good as the wwe. It was that simple. 

On 2/26/2024 at 11:54 AM, tiger_rick said:

Thought this was a thread for shite matches?

😍

Agreed. Never quite understood the shade cast on Jake/Martel at Mania 7. It’s probably that Meltzer panned it so the ‘cool kids’ all jumped on. It was never going to be a five star classic but listen to the fans in the arena reacting. They were lapping it up. Even when there was a point you could see Jake’s hand UNDER the mask through the sneaky viewing slit that had been designed in the mask, it couldn’t shake my enjoyment of it.

Edited by SpykeDudlei1

Jake & Martel work a match where two people 'can't see' as perfect as can be. Simple spots, some gaga from Martel and Roberts being super smart in how to get a crowd popping by POINTING vaguely at wherever Martel is. That's probably a great example of the 'psychology' Roberts is acclaimed for. I think it's snobbery. Now the James Storm/Chris Harris one though... Fucking hell!

• Paid Members

The thing I liked most about it was that the story hinted at Roberts, along with his snake-handling and mystic promos, having a touch of the supernatural about him.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Loki said:

Steiner's definitely lacking ring fitness and starts sucking oxygen in so hard the front row begin to pass out.

I'm pretty sure one of Steiner's feet was absolutely fucked as well during this period to the point it basically barely worked. But yeah, diabolic that Steiner was completely blamed for their bad matches considering how generally shit Triple H was during this time.

• Paid Members

it's the curse of Triple H matches. He's great when he's prepared to work someone else's match, but those occasions are so few and far between that the only ones that come to mind are his matches with Foley, and his match with Daniel Bryan. The rest of the time, no matter who you are, you have to work his twenty minute slog of a match whether that makes sense or not. 

When he fought Reigns at Wrestlemania, the show was already running so late that, feeling encouraged by the fact that in the Daniel Bryan feud and match he showed himself as prepared to bump and sell and play the part of the heel boss getting his comeuppance, I honestly thought Roman was just going to steamroll through him in short order for an impactful win, but nope, 27 minutes. Same thing with Steiner, with Goldberg, with Brock Lesnar, and in the 'Mania match with John Cena, the story leaned so heavily into Triple H being the better "technical wrestler" after a couple of years with the likes of Angle, Eddie and Benoit of teaching the audience that a technical wrestler is a good thing to be, that it felt like if the entire thing had been set up to cut Cena off at the knees in comparison to H they couldn't have planned it any better.

I can't think of another wrestler - maybe only Hogan or Cena - who I think has been part of so many counter-productively booked, miserable to watch matches and angles, yet still has a strong list of genuinely great matches to show for it in spite of themselves.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

the story leaned so heavily into Triple H being the better "technical wrestler

Still think it's weird they ran with the Triple H=great technician narrative for so long. He's a pretty brilliant brawler but a fairly lousy technician. 95% of his offence is based around irish whips! 

42 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Still think it's weird they ran with the Triple H=great technician narrative for so long. He's a pretty brilliant brawler but a fairly lousy technician. 95% of his offence is based around irish whips! 

Yeah but he does that alternative version of the Indian Deathlock so he's fucking Karl Gotch innit.

• Paid Members

Any match that Sid has been involved in.

Any match with The Warlord in it. 

I can't really be objective about those two. I sometimes see people say things like "Oh the Sid match with HBK/Bret/Benoit is actually good". To me, they all are. Because Sid's on screen.

The good 'Lord, if I were to nominate a match of his, it would be vs British Bulldog at WM7. I assume that's considered shite, because all of his work is, but to me it's a belter. 

On 2/26/2024 at 4:48 PM, BomberPat said:

perhaps my favourite thing about that match is babyface Scott Steiner wearing the stars and stripes in Canada, and nobody thinking that might be at least part of the reason the crowd are shitting on it.

Wasn't this the No Way Out match? I recall both being pretty poor but the Rumble one was the entertainingly bad one!

In fairness I love Scott Steiner and him as a singles or Steiner Bros is pretty much always my go to if I can't think of anything else to watch. Such a shame that he was so banged up and poorly treated for most of his 02-04 WWE run, as his WCW latter days character could have been an absolute winner there at the time. I was pleased he was able to redeem himself somewhat in TNA with some banging main event matches with Joe and Lashley, plus the brilliant promo stuff too 😍

I was only just listening to the Scotty episode of How2Wrestling (very good pod btw, and Jo is my fav wrestling Twitter person).

One thing not really mentioned about that WWE run was that he was actually pretty damn over still during the Stacey and Test shit, that stuff is super fun lower card trash.