Shite matches that you love

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, gmoney said:

Any match that Sid has been involved in.

This is me too. Most of my favourites are stereotypical workrate perverts’ usuals. But I loved Sid. He was convincing, and the powerbomb was the bollocks.

• Paid Members

There’s a lot old Survivor Series matches that get called shit, especially from 1990 where half the roster is protected by count outs or DQ. But I loved The Warriors against Mr Perfect & Demolition - even with Ax’s hair. It helps that Ultimate Warrior, Texas Tornado & Legion Of Doom was a dream team for the era, that Demolition never really lost their aura for me as a child and that I was a huge mark for Perfect and especially for the PerfectPlex. And yes, it’s rushed, four blokes are sent out in one over the top DQ and it’s a bit WCW seeing Kerry walk out wearing a belt he’s already lost in the ring but it hasn’t aired on TV. But I love it all the same.

3 hours ago, jm29195 said:

with some banging main event matches with Joe and Lashley,

I'd forgotten about that Lashley match.  That had absolutely no right to be any good - Steiner was knackered and Lashley was still in his phase of being impressive looking but fairly boring.  And yet they had a great brawl.

Favourite moment from Steiner's run there - him being goaded by the crowd into delivering a Steiner Screwdriver to Petey Williams (a move he'd probably not attempted in a decade). and flipping the crowd off in the middle of it.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, gmoney said:

Any match with The Warlord in it. 

The good 'Lord, if I were to nominate a match of his, it would be vs British Bulldog at WM7. I assume that's considered shite, because all of his work is, but to me it's a belter. 

I haven't seen it in years but when I was a kid, I got the UK Rampage tape and I fucking loved that Warlord/Anvil opener. I absolutely loved the backstage promo later too. Warlord's in the opener on SummerSlam that year, which is a real sleeper favourite of mine, and the match with Davey at Mania is decent too. I liked him. No idea why he was so shit in Royal Rumbles.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I haven't seen it in years but when I was a kid, I got the UK Rampage tape and I fucking loved that Warlord/Anvil opener.

The thing I remember most about that was them fucking up the entrances so Anvil's music plays and Mel Phillips is 90% of the way through announcing him, then the camera pans to Warlord halfway down the aisle.

"Well that's hardly the Anvil" says Vince on commentary. Bet that wasn't what he said when he pressed the talkback button. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, jm29195 said:

Wasn't this the No Way Out match? I recall both being pretty poor but the Rumble one was the entertainingly bad one!

You're right, I'd conflated the two in my head, possibly because I couldn't believe they booked a rematch after the first one!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Warlord's in the opener on SummerSlam that year, which is a real sleeper favourite of mine, and the match with Davey at Mania is decent too.

If you enjoyed Tornado/Bulldog/Dragon vs Warlord/Power & Glory, there's a chance you'd enjoy the match the three babyfaces also had with the three man Orient Express on the SummerSlam Spectacular which I saw on YouTube. Really rare use of Sato once the regular team had become Kato & Tanaka/Bad Company, until he came back as Shinja.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, air_raid said:

If you enjoyed Tornado/Bulldog/Dragon vs Warlord/Power & Glory, there's a chance you'd enjoy the match the three babyfaces also had with the three man Orient Express on the SummerSlam Spectacular which I saw on YouTube. Really rare use of Sato once the regular team had become Kato & Tanaka/Bad Company, until he came back as Shinja.

Yeah, I've seen that. Remember it being mentioned on the SCG shows Liam did with Kyle Ross. Not sure if I'd seen it before then. A three man Orient Express is definitely an odd thing to see.