Shite matches that you love

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

While 'good' is in wrestling is very much subjective, what matches do you find yourself going back to which by your standards are shite and why?

I barely watch wrestling nowadays, but this gets an annual run out in the Mears house at Halloween along with Beetejuice.

It's absolutely horrendous by any conceivable metric, but also wrestling in its purest form. Four comicly large men doing awful pretend fighting. Kane is the smallest by a distance in a four man match! How could you not love it?

• Paid Members

Sting vs. Triple H is a big one for me - everyone I watched it with live hated it at the time, we were laughing our heads off at most of it, and a friend told me how he watched it with his mate who, after Triple H's Terminator entrance, stood up and applauded saying, "fair play, that's the shittest thing I've ever seen". 

Watching it back now, removed from the context of the time and knowing Sting ends up having a great run with a company who actually appreciates who he is and what he brings to the table, and it's just ridiculous bollocks and a good laugh. Sting cutting a sledgehammer in half with a baseball bat is one of those things that should never have got off the drawing room table, but cracks me up every time.

There's some bits and pieces from latter day WCW too - the gauntlet that Jeff Jarrett wrestles against George Steele, Jimmy Snuka and Tito Santana on one episode of Nitro, and all of the promos around it, is atrocious, but I get a kick out of it every time. 

And then there's Jimmy Hart and Norman Smiley in a Hardcore match, absolute daft gold:

Most legends things, for example-

The gimmick battle royal.

Anything post 1993 that had Bushwhackers, Sgt Slaughter, Brooklyn Brawler, Kamala etc.

Also, the hardcore battle royal in 2000 (which may have been great or shite I can't remember, but I really enjoyed it)

The 4 Doinks match Vs Bigelow's team at Survivor Series 93 was bad but hilariously good. 

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members

Virtually any storyline-driven big nWo main event from 96-97 that Meltzer or Fin Martin said was shit, I invariably love. I was ridiculously into the story and would rewatch the lot of it. Of particular note were the War Games matches in 96 and 97 which apparently were rubbish (compared to others, fair enough) but I was totally engrossed in, and ESPECIALLY the utter bollocks battle bowl/Rumble hybrid main of Uncensored 97, Luger/Giant/Steiners vs Hogan/Savage/Outsiders vs Piper/Benoit/Mongo/Jarrett. The Total Package completely being his best 1997 hero self against insurmountable odds, and The Stinger showing up and finally showing his cards. The clips of this shown on the next night's Nitro as aired on TNT (which I caught by accident) made me a fan of the nWo angle, Sting's new character, the Scorpion Death Drop AND WCW all in one go. But apparently it was shit?

• Moderators

I wonder how much money they spent on this stupid contraption? The first one hilariously doesn't even have Khali in it because he got injured in the run up I think.

You know what goes great together? Big lumbering idiots and a match type that relies on athleticism.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

@Chest Rockwell I'm pretty sure that was the PPV when loads of the roster didn't appear due to 'Elevated liver enzymes' (aka steroids). 

I envision the Punjabi Prison clogging up space in the Titan Tower basement forever. The wrestling version of this 

images-2.jpg.65c7f9b2bed0481bacd8b51b830a4d4a.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Wrestlemania X7 Hardcore title match. For some reason I absolutely love it and watch it randomly

That reason is Kane driving a buggy.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I don't care about the prestige of the WCW title, 

That's logical, neither did they.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Sting vs. Triple H is a big one for me - everyone I watched it with live hated it at the time, we were laughing our heads off at most of it, and a friend told me how he watched it with his mate who, after Triple H's Terminator entrance, stood up and applauded saying, "fair play, that's the shittest thing I've ever seen". 

Watching it back now, removed from the context of the time and knowing Sting ends up having a great run with a company who actually appreciates who he is and what he brings to the table, and it's just ridiculous bollocks and a good laugh. Sting cutting a sledgehammer in half with a baseball bat is one of those things that should never have got off the drawing room table, but cracks me up every time.

There's some bits and pieces from latter day WCW too - the gauntlet that Jeff Jarrett wrestles against George Steele, Jimmy Snuka and Tito Santana on one episode of Nitro, and all of the promos around it, is atrocious, but I get a kick out of it every time. 

And then there's Jimmy Hart and Norman Smiley in a Hardcore match, absolute daft gold:

I'm gonna agree with Pat here. Everyone needs to give that Norman Smiley/Jimmy Hart match a go at least once. One of the WCW hardcore matches not for extreme spots, but just delightful comedy. Jimmy's walk as clambers around in the armour is hilarious. At one point Norman gets powder thrown in his face and starts crying. It's fantastic. Also for late 99 WCW, the crowd are LOVING it. Super enjoyable nonsense.

The triple cage match. Always. 

I genuinely think it's the most visually impressive looking wrestling gimmick match ever. The Slamboree match is perfectly respectable and somewhat of a minor miracle given the circumstances, but it's obviously lumped into WrestleCrap lore because of the Arquette stuff. 

Then you have Wargames 2000. If it doesn't bring a grin to your face that this thing made it to cable TV then you and me are probably very different kinds of people and yes, I'm confident in using this as a litmus test to prove it. A simulacra of everything wrong with 2000 WCW distilled down to its purest concentrate. It deserves to exist and I'm glad it does.