• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

One of my favourite wrestling inconsistencies is how short term every wrestlers memory seems to be. Like you'll have The Rock and Stone Cold teaming up on Raw when three years previously The Rock had thrown Stone Cold off a motherfucking bridge! I've held far longer and deeper grudges in my life over much small slights than attempted murder.

My earliest memory of such nonsense is the idea that Jake The Snake would team with Earthquake so soon after the fat bastard killed Damien.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

The Mariah May/Toni Storm story is one of my weekly highlights. It's such a bizarre story with everyone in it acting so weird but it's just absolutely loads of fun. I'm not sure who is in love with who or what exactly the relationship dynamics are but it's just a really great bit of character work done in the background of the main title feud. I think it's probably the best thing they're doing at the moment and I can't wait to see where it goes. Really hoping they don't rush any heel turns. Let this go on for months until it's ready to explode.

Luther is such an underrated part of it all, too. A miracle they found something useful for him to do and he's played it out superbly. Fair play to him.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

One of my favourite wrestling inconsistencies is how short term every wrestlers memory seems to be. Like you'll have The Rock and Stone Cold teaming up on Raw when three years previously The Rock had thrown Stone Cold off a motherfucking bridge! I've held far longer and deeper grudges in my life over much small slights than attempted murder.

Wow, I've done a lot more internal logical labour than I realised when it comes to wrestling. I always put that kind of thing down to the fact that, wrestling (kayfabe) being a combat sport in which your average participants' emotions and mindsets are very different to everyone else's by necessity, borne of a set of "warrior culture" values of respect for someone you've fought, hurt, bled or been bled by, etc., you're not necessarily going to hold onto grudges in the same way as civilians - it's often talked about with real combat sports that fighters have to get into a mindset in which they have to find a way to detach themselves from their humanity, or dig up some kind of hatred or animosity against another human being they would otherwise have no problem with, and therefore have to be able to drop straight after the match.

So, to me, it seemed reasonable that people who have to do that on a regular basis would have the emotional flexibility to do that. Of course, it falls down with real combat sports, because there are plenty of fighters who detest each other because someone went too far over the line in the build-up to their fight - and that's usually way tamer than what happens in wrestling storylines and angles.

Posted (edited)

He became a bit of a low-key favourite of mine by proxy of Best Friends being one of my favourite AEW acts ever. He was the only one who was never going to break out the gang, but he was/is really good as the utility tag team guy for me. The Awful Waffle is also an amazing looking move. @LaGooshmentioned All In and one of my favourite shots of the night was Best Friends after Stadium Stampede, all busted open, barely but triumphantly dragging themselves down the aisle, arms around each other with 'Jane' blasting out. Finally getting a few years of national exposure isn't a bad final chapter for a career like his.

Edited by Chili
Half thumbs up

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I've always had a soft spot for Chuck while not being hugely interested in seeing him wrestle. 

My own personal recollection will always be “There were always three guys I’d read about in PS right when DGUSA and Evolve were getting traction, and I’d never seen any of them wrestle. Johnny Gargano, Jon Moxley and…. Christ, what was the other one called?”

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

My own personal recollection will always be “There were always three guys I’d read about in PS right when DGUSA and Evolve were getting traction, and I’d never seen any of them wrestle. Johnny Gargano, Jon Moxley and…. Christ, what was the other one called?”

Stop being so harsh on Chucky T. He must be doing something right. Converse’s flag ship shoe is named after him, outside of Michael Jordan and George Best, how many people have a style of shoe named after them?

• Paid Members

I love Chuck. He's one of those guys that I never thought would get a TV run before AEW came along, and I love that he was part of a featured act.

He's one of the most genuinely funny people I've ever met in wrestling, and was basically a real life version of Orange Cassidy's old "super talented wrestler who doesn't actually care about wrestling that much" gimmick; practically everything he did for years was just to pop himself or his mates, and then every now and then he would bust out a match or a move that was absolutely brilliant.

He will make an amazing coach and producer, and has already been a great trainer for years. Would love to see him in a non-wrestling on-screen role again later down the line.

Any time to share this, though the whole match is so much better than just one clip:

https://youtu.be/jDw0ivvq9Nk?si=zxhQ2sAnxTinQHbo

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Stop being so harsh on Chucky T. He must be doing something right. Converse’s flag ship shoe is named after him, outside of Michael Jordan and George Best, how many people have a style of shoe named after them?

p8422949_b_v13_ab.jpg

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Konnan has shoes named after him as he is a Cuban heel. 

I'll get my cloak. 

Today in things I learnt today, always thought he was Mexican.