What a pointless thing to hype. It confirmed Punk's story pretty much & made AEW look incredibly small time. Imagine WWE hyping & then airing 'controversial'  footage of Danielson or Edge to no real end, after they both had left the company. TK shot himself in the foot for no payoff whatsoever. He really needs someone to give him a reality check and nudge him back to what his initial vision of AEW was at this stage.

• Paid Members

Tony Khan's a fucking idiot, I'm afraid. Absolute clueless cunt. All he knows is how to put a good wrestler against another good wrestler. When it comes to angles and interest past the initial "I wouldnt mind see them two wrestle!" he's rotten.

• Paid Members

So they've announced the PPV schedule for the year. Of note is that WrestleDream will be in Bryan Danielson's hometown in a 20,000 seat venue. Guessing that'll be his big retirement match.

Also Forbidden Door in June is in Long Island so a potential MJF return.

18 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

You know what's maddening to me here, Jack was kept off TV for how many months after just *that*? Seven?

After seeing it, give him another seven.

No real reason, I just don't want to lose the one positive that came from this shite.

9 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

What's the reach? I said I hear they're producing some good shows but the lack of buzz is backed up by all the metrics. They've really struggled and I think there are plenty of chickens over the last couple of years that are coming home to roost.

I don't know, I haven't watched it. But the point was that they put this majorly petty shit on TV at a point where critically, at least, some people like what they're doing. Seems ludicrous.

They've always been like WCW, and in a lot of ways that was a positive. The network, the production, the voices, the C shows and a lot of the booking gave that great pang of nostalgia. Sadly stuff like the bloated roster, the lack of control and the every growing content have given bad WCW vibes. WCW were around a long time, rode one great peak and fell and fell to their death. I don't see AEW going anywhere while Tony wants to spend his money but the peak and fall is very similar but massively sped up.

Their metrics are fine. Warners Bros are championing their ratings all the time. They are getting 100k+ PPV buys every month, on track to do 60k+ at Wembley. They've hired a new live events chap who will take over from someone who was booking shoes in the same cities, in massive buildings. Getting 3k-6 for weekly TV is great and 10k+ for PPVs is great too.

It was pretty petty, but if you watched the whole segment, it at least makes sense. Bucks twisting it and blaming FTR for it. FTR cutting a promo about how stupid they are for going on about it. It was fine. The news cycle moves quickly, people will have another thing to moan about soon anyway.

How exactly are they like sped up WCW? Nitro was great from 96-98, and then awful until 2001 when they shut their doors. AEW has been around for 5 years, almost the same amount of time as Nitro, and they doing good business, as I outlined above. WCW was putting out some of the worst wrestling TV ever produced in 2000, AEW had the continental classic 3 months ago and an all time great PPV last month. It's clearly not the same.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

819,000 viewers.

So a stunt designed solely to pique the interest of hardcore fans who follow all the backstage stuff didn’t break through. What a shocker.

On the WCW stuff, WCW always felt worse than it was at the time because it was up against peak WWF. I find a lot of 1998-99 very watchable personally, certainly never boring. 2000 I will concede was fucking terrible though.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Showing the All In footage was really fucking stupid. No idea what the point was. Hopefully now it's out of their system and they can just carry on producing good TV.

Copeland has been a revelation in AEW. I get a massive kick out of seeing him do things like a headscissors. Him, Briscoe, Kingston and Willow Nightingale is the faction I didn't know I needed. When did his Spear get so good, too? I'm still haunted by his 'running hug to the leg' he used to bust out on 2010 Smackdown.

Didn't mind Ospreay having a dig at Triple H at all. His "if you're not in it for the grind, I don't want you" line was such a ridiculously stupid and petty way of deflecting that he didn't land the signing he wanted it deserved a Nelson Muntz-esque 'ha-ha!' But he put on an average Wrestlemania, so we'll let it pass I guess.

As shite as Jericho is, I really enjoyed the trios match. Shane Taylor Promotions finally won a match! Shibata and Hook have such a cool energy not even Chris Jericho (who is slowly turning into Krang) can diminish them.

Tony Schiavone's 'what a night!' as Mariah May kissed Shirakawa got a hearty chuckle. Dirty old get.

Alex Marvez is absolutely shite at everything, but somehow it's adorable. His shouts of 'turn on the lights!!' were hilarious.

Good main event. Just your standard Dustin Rhodes high-drama match. Thought the blade job added a lot as Dustin looked like he was struggling for everything out there.

A decent Dynamite (other than the obvious 'what the fuck is Tony Khan thinking' moment).

12 minutes ago, sukhy said:

Their metrics are fine. Warners Bros are championing their ratings all the time. They are getting 100k+ PPV buys every month, on track to do 60k+ at Wembley. They've hired a new live events chap who will take over from someone who was booking shoes in the same cities, in massive buildings. Getting 3k-6 for weekly TV is great and 10k+ for PPVs is great too.

I bigger issue at the start of the year was booking really small towns that would be lucky to get a WWE House show, let alone TV. When AEW do almost no local advertising. Those shows were never going to do well.

There's been a change on the booking and advertising shows today. They've announced all the PPV locations for the rest of the year. WrestleDream last year popped up with about 5 weeks notice last year.

Just now, garynysmon said:

819,000 viewers.

So a stunt designed solely to pique the interest of hardcore fans who follow all the backstage stuff didn’t break through. What a shocker.

When it comes to overall viewership I would consider that more the casual fans, not the hardcore.

They went from a .23 for the last two weeks to a .30 Which is the highest demo rating they've done since the Samoa Joe v. HOOK Dynamite back in January.

21 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

819,000 viewers.

On the WCW stuff, WCW always felt worse than it was at the time because it was up against peak WWF. I find a lot of 1998-99 very watchable personally, certainly never boring. 2000 I will concede was fucking terrible though.

It was up 29% to be fair. The big test is next week as to how many of those fans decide to stick around or were just there for the Punk scrap. The main aim was surely to get fans to tune in, see what else is on offer and stick around.

32 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I bigger issue at the start of the year was booking really small towns that would be lucky to get a WWE House show, let alone TV. When AEW do almost no local advertising. Those shows were never going to do well.

There's been a change on the booking and advertising shows today. They've announced all the PPV locations for the rest of the year. WrestleDream last year popped up with about 5 weeks notice last year.

Spot on, they've hired new people to do their live events and that's a big change. WWE are on a hot streak, just don't follow them round the country like the last guy who was booking the shows was doing.

Not a general AEW thread I know but just to chuck in some more positivity, I needed some cheering up tonight so I watched All In from Wembley again. Well...not all of it...but sort of like how I'd watch back X-Seven. Skim here and there, but sit there entranced for the best bits. It's interesting now how even on the night it sort of felt like the biggest night in company history came maybe a year after what actually was their biggest creative and momentum high point. All In seems like a show in spite of itself. Something built up on the good faith of shit that happened before its build up. 

But I don't mean to be negative about it. It's...insane. It's equally mad as living in a WWE boom period. Such a good show. Totally mad. The two guys in your main event coming out in the sunshine on the pre show to a molten response. 

They've always done that. Can they do it again? Fuck knows. But it'll be equally mad either way if that was it for them. 

I'm with everyone else and clueless what they thought they would achieve by doing it and there not cool and edgy they have tried to tie it to the current feud with FTR but it had no connection they just wanted to fire back at punk for having his say on the hillwani podcast which I think he came off really well and reluctantly spoke about it not to carry it on but to put it to bed so every time he does media it's not brought up anymore.

Neither one of them came off great,I think it's also pretty convenient they had the footage perfectly there but no audio so you can't hear the conversation and lead up to the end scuffle which I think is kinda important but not seen it being mentioned but it's probably not going to change or clear either of any wrong doing so I hope it's fucking out there system and they can move on