• Paid Members
1 minute ago, organizedkaos said:

we're completely at the mercy of the what Tony Khan wants and whilst he wants an audience he only wants them on his terms..

1 minute ago, organizedkaos said:

whatever they want to do they're going to do because the reason they have this position is because of the money they have

2 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

If the child suddenly decides they don't like a toy, that toy isn't TV anymore. If the child suddenly decides they want to re-enact some vendetta against a school bully, we have to watch that

2 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

It also makes it hard to get invested because there's a sense we're just experiencing the whims of the emporer. They might bestow on you favours because of their mood but conversely they might decide to burn everything down.

Genuine question, how is this any different from when Vince McMahon was running WWE?

3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Genuine question, how is this any different from when Vince McMahon was running WWE?

It's not, and it led to some execrable tv from WWE over the years.

However, Vince grew up in the wrestling industry and worked in it for years before getting the book.  And over the years his booking decisions led to the industry booming to extraordinary heights.  So he has that in his favour.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Loki said:

It's not

Exactly.

13 minutes ago, Loki said:

And over the years his booking decisions led to the industry booming to extraordinary heights.  So he has that in his favour.

And in 5 years Tony Khan has created a viable number 2 wrestling promotion for the first time in decades, put on some incredible matches, stories and one of the biggest wrestling shows of all time. He has also put on some execrable TV. Which isn't really relevant at all to my real point which is that every wrestling promotion in history is basically at the complete command and every whim (no matter how petulant, idiotic or childish they may be) of the promoter.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Good old whataboutery…

In all seriousness, as @RedRooster alluded to, is Tony Khan really a ‘nice guy’ though?

Yes he gets excited about wrestlers he signs, which may be endearing to some. But ask Big Swole and others he’s had a wobbler about if he’s a nice guy or not.

Tony Khan’s major advantage over any other booker is his financial clout that he inherited by virtue of his birth. A hill I’d happily die on is if you gave Scott D’amore AEW’s budget it would be a better product all round.

Edited by garynysmon

I’d love to know what Tony Khan makes of WWE’s current approach to storytelling; and if he recognises how similar it is to how it was handled during the golden era of AEW. I’m also curious as to who was responsible for that approach - was it Cody? The wrestlers involved? Tony Khan himself? A combination of the above? And what led to the change in approach? 

Rather than invest in more big name stars, I would love to see him invest in strong creative voices and appoint a new lead booker. Scott D’Amore is available, but im sure there are others. Maybe he could steal a few writers from WWE to work with the wrestlers, or launch a recruitment drive to identify promising talent from the creative industries who may be able to ensure storytelling is consistent and that plot threads are followed through. I absolutely think that AEW can remain the home of great wrestling; while improving the aspects of the promotion that are weak - but it would involve Tony Khan accepting his own limitations and making difficult decisions about his own involvement.

• Paid Members
Just now, garynysmon said:

is Tony Khan really a ‘nice guy’ though?

Probably not. Human beings are complex. He's definitely done some nice things and has definitely done some morally dubious things. 

Just now, RedRooster said:

And what led to the change in approach? 

Quite simply, I think every booker has a life span. After about three years they usually start running out of ideas.

13 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Quite simply, I think every booker has a life span. After about three years they usually start running out of ideas.

I think that’s bang on; but I also think Tony Khan has taken on more than he can cope with (ROH, Collision, Rampage) and is unwilling to relinquish control of any of it. It’s a flaw loads of people have - myself included - it’s hard to hand over your own projects to someone else, placing faith in them to handle something you care a lot about correctly. Ultimately though, the more you stretch yourself, the weaker the end result will be. Vince McMahon had the same issue with delegation, it’s not uncommon.

46 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I don't think it is? I stopped watching WWE around Chris Benoit and outside of maybe a couple of shows I've not watched since. Myriad of reasons but as time passed and I was tempted to start watching again the fact the general concensus was bad wrestling + no confidence in storytelling I never went back. I kinda assumed what I said applies exactly the VM era of WWE but also i've not watched so can't comment.

I'm invested in AEW being good because it's the only wrestling I want to watch and when it's good it's a delight. There's so much there to like but as someone who digs long form storytelling and like you, doesn't want petty real life fights on screen I worry about these things cos if continues like this I'll stop watching and no more wrestling again.

Better Than You BayBay - Cole smashes his ankle jumping from a ramp. MJF starts doing handicap matches and being beat down to carry it on and compensate for Cole gone. MJF ends up getting injured too.

Golden Jets/Callis Family - Omega goes down with diverticulitis.

RUSH - gets back to work with the C2 and gets injured early on.

Mox's run with the International title is scuppered by a concussion. Leading to Fenix run which ends because he's injured as well and out 6 months and counting.

Jamie Hayter's and Thunder Rosa's title reigns all end due to injury and what looks like year long absences in both instances.

Punk's title reigns regardless of all the backstage drama.

I can't think of a company that's been as jinxed.

@LaGoosh I read a comment the other week that aew wouldn't succeed if it had to make money like every other business. Although that isn't actually true. Any business that is owned by a billionaire could loose money and still function if its not a public limited company. If TK wants to spend his money bankrolling a wrestling company who cares. If you don't like it don't watch it if you do like it watch it. I'm not actually sure though if aew is loosing money though I'm just saying 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, no user name said:

If you don't like it don't watch it 

If we subscribed to that, the Raw thread would be a quarter as many pages as it is!

I think the thing with AEW - for me anyway - is that it was an opportunity to almost start with a clean slate and do things "right". For all WWE may be trying to do now, we know there's multiple dark clouds hanging around various people and they'd have to do a total clean out in order to really set things completely right. And that's blatantly not going to happen.

But I guess if you know enough about the wrestling business then maybe you just accept that no company is going to be completely clean and maybe the hopes were too high for AEW. It just feels like a lot of us were really rooting for it to be the decent alternative that showed you could do things right in the industry. I know they've done a lot right but the cracks started to show and the questionable decisions started to creep in and it has obviously been a lot of pressure for TK from different directions and it does take its toll.

It's silly really but it does feel a little more disappointing knowing the chance they had when it was launched and became successful. It has managed to achieve a lot but it has been dragged down into a lot of shit that many hoped it would avoid.

• Paid Members

Say what you want about Tony, but it is funny that every time he fucks up he always has a four and a half star match in the back pocket to offer as an apology. This should absolutely rule.

For the people in here who were loving them some Triple H and taking a shit on Ospreay, maybe wait until you get a bit more information first before you start.

From the Observer - Will's partner wanted to stay in the UK with her family because she lost her first husband due to suicide, and this was something both WWE and AEW were aware of. Hence why Will felt it was a real dick move and he needed to address it.