SuperBacon

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

I'm a huge fan of Cheers, loved Frasier to a lesser extent back in the day, but I find myself asking the same question over and over with the Frasier revival: "Why is this happening?"

To get Paramount+ subscribers. 

8 minutes ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

Good point. I'm still a little salty they've walled off Lower Decks. 

I was the same with Yellowjackets which they moved off Sky for the second season.

Luckily I seem to have access to my old Paramount account on Sky still for some reason so making the most of it while it lasts.

• Paid Members

In the 3rd episode when they showed a flashback of Frasier hosting that undignified Dr Phil style TV show it just made me wonder why they didn't set the revival during that period. Hope we see more flashbacks or an episode set then.

Frasier's son's a bit bland so far, not gonna be too critical 3 episodes in but I do hope he develops a bit.

Kelsey still has it as Frasier and the character was always so formal and fussy that him being 20 years older doesn't make that much difference. I like how he's even more successful and rich now and smells great.

I used to fancy Lilith, I wonder if she's still hot 

13 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

In the 3rd episode when they showed a flashback of Frasier hosting that undignified Dr Phil style TV show it just made me wonder why they didn't set the revival during that period. Hope we see more flashbacks or an episode set then.

Frasier's son's a bit bland so far, not gonna be too critical 3 episodes in but I do hope he develops a bit.

Kelsey still has it as Frasier and the character was always so formal and fussy that him being 20 years older doesn't make that much difference. I like how he's even more successful and rich now and smells great.

I used to fancy Lilith, I wonder if she's still hot 

She's 64 and she looks it, but not in a bad way she's still a good looking woman. However she was hot, I would say hottest in a film called Tadpole, which is a very low budget film but has quite big names in it with her, Sigourney Weaver, John Ritter and Aaron Stanford. 

I'm on episode 3 of Frasier. It's okay, Frasier is often funny, sometimes Lyndhurst is but he still has that very punchable face (which worked for Rodney). Freddy I'm torn on, he has moments but he comes across as a bit of a nob even though he's supposed to be the guy who helps out the single mum and cared more about saving people than getting a degree. I kind of feel they've tried to mirror Marty moving in with Frasier where he was a bit of a nob about it. So far he hasn't got the warmth of Marty but that may come. David Crane is just forced and feels out of place and to be honest not very funny. 

I feel it lacks the charismatic side characters, but that comes with time so it's probably unfair making comparisons with a series that ran for a decade. 

I don't mind David, but I'm finding it hard to get on board with Freddy. He seems and looks so dramatically different from his previous incarnation that it doesn't feel like the same character. Recasting always comes with risks, I guess. The actor is perfectly fine - he plays the part well, I'm finding the change a bit more jarring than I maybe should. 

I really like Lyndhurt's character and I think he plays the part well. Although the character is clearly very different to Niles, there are things he says that you could imagine Niles saying; and interactions he has with Frasier that feel a little Frasier/Niles. 

I do miss the old cast - and I'm looking forward to see how they use Lilith and Roz. I really hope there are a few surprise appearances on the horizon too - whether it's someone from Cheers, or the original series of Frasier. It would be nice to see Daphne or Niles make an appearance at some point, or even someone like Bebe Glazer. I suppose that plays off nostalgia more than they're going for - but fuck it, sometimes nostalgia is nice. And I'd like to see what these characters are doing now. 

• Paid Members

All of the cast are shit, except Frasier and Rodney. I did a quick IMDB of a few of them, and they barely any have sitcom acting experience and it shows. There aren't that many three camera sitcoms being made (which is a genuine shame, there's nothing wrong with a good sitcom with a laugh track, despite what guardian hacks might have you think). There are way too many corny jokes and lazy conflict in it that makes me think it was either written really quickly or with very little care, which is a shame. 

That said, I did find myself chuckling occasionally, almost exclusively in scenes with Kelsey and Rodders, so I will power through and hopefully it picks up a bit. 

Edited by gmoney

Finally got caught up on the first three episodes a couple of days ago.

The first episode was a lot of scene setting and didn’t yield many laughs from me, but Frasier’s talk with Freddy about missing Marty’s funeral was top draw from both of them, and the tribute to John Mahoney at the end of the credits absolutely did me in.

Jury is still out on David, he hasn’t been properly fleshed out yet, same with Nicholas Lyndhurst as Alan. My only frame of reference for Nicholas Lyndhurst is OFAH so I’m pretty indifferent to him. Some stuff lands, some doesn’t.

It isn’t anywhere near the calibre of the original show of course, but there is plenty there to enjoy, and it does “feel like Frasier” rather other sitcoms that came afterwards.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

She's 64 and she looks it, but not in a bad way she's still a good looking woman. However she was hot, I would say hottest in a film called Tadpole, which is a very low budget film but has quite big names in it with her, Sigourney Weaver, John Ritter and Aaron Stanford. 

Bebe Neuwirth, for me, looks her absolute hottest in The Associate, when her character attempts to seduce Whoopi Goldberg's black-woman-disguised-as-old-white-man. Will check out Tadpole though 

So that was the one where it is supposed to pick up? It was…middling at best. I think the problem is the new characters, more than anything else. I’m slowly realising that what I’m wanting to see isn’t so much a continuation of Frasier’s story as it is a continuation of the story of all of the main characters from the original series. It’s not bad, but it’s not making me laugh much at all either. 

Edited by RedRooster