SuperBacon

• Paid Members
On 10/27/2023 at 11:25 PM, RedRooster said:

So that was the one where it is supposed to pick up? It was…middling at best. I think the problem is the new characters, more than anything else. I’m slowly realising that what I’m wanting to see isn’t so much a continuation of Frasier’s story as it is a continuation of the story of all of the main characters from the original series. It’s not bad, but it’s not making me laugh much at all either. 

Yeah this was the weakest one for me. There was at least twice where you felt the moment original Frasier would have cut away but this one didn't and kept making jokes and it was very jarring. The secondary characters just really aren't doing it for me.

1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Signed up to a free trial on paramount searched Frasier and can only see the original 11 series and a trailer for the new one. Am i missing something? 

Sorry Chest, I have no idea. I've been using a less official approach.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Thought it would be the most convenient way to watch but fuck it, I'll have to go the other route I guess! Cheers

The way I'm watching it splits this Frasier up from the old Frasier, so maybe Paramount does the same?
I'm surprised it's not just on the main page.

11 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

The way I'm watching it splits this Frasier up from the old Frasier, so maybe Paramount does the same?
I'm surprised it's not just on the main page.

@Chest Rockwell - this is what happens with the new Frasier, weirdly. I've been watching it through the Paramount app on Amazon Prime, which is possibly an easier option if you're looking to watch it through legitimate means and are having trouble with the Paramount Plus app. 

18 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Yeah this was the weakest one for me. There was at least twice where you felt the moment original Frasier would have cut away but this one didn't and kept making jokes and it was very jarring. The secondary characters just really aren't doing it for me.

Given that the claim was that the show really found itself at this point, I am left feeling a bit apprehensive about the remaining episodes. I'll keep watching, but it's mainly for the nostalgia - knowing that Roz and Lilith will be showing up soon. Frasier was always an ensemble, and I think that's maybe the problem for me. I wanted to see a continuation of a story - and while you get that with Frasier himself, it's a bit like a brand new sitcom which just happens to have Frasier in it. 

32 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Thought it would be the most convenient way to watch but fuck it, I'll have to go the other route I guess! Cheers

I haven't used the search function so can't comment on how rubbish that is, but every week I've just gone to the 'New to Paramount' section and it's been there and worked fine.

• Paid Members

Saw the fourth episode. Really rough stuff. Doesn't help that I've now done two series of the original and it's so fantastically superior. Even the farcical episodes are miles better than this tosh. Like the tremendous episode where Frasier sets up a date for Daphne but the bloke is gay and thinks he's on a date with Frasier. Or the episode where Daphne is upset about Frasier going in her room which inevitably ends up with everyone, including Eddie, in her room.

The point made about the ensemble cast is so spot on. Scenes with Niles and Roz giving each other stick are a highlight. Niles being infatuated with Daphne is another. They should never get together. It's too funny as it is. Martin is brilliant bouncing off everyone. Frasier's the least funny person on the show most of the time but he's a brilliant island in a sea of chaos. They've tried to keep that but it's a sea of shite.

• Moderators

I have watched the first 4 eps now. Yeah, it's clearly not a patch on the original so far, but I don't hate all the non-Frasier characters as much as you guys all seem to.

David is clearly the best one. But Eve is decent, Frasier's colleagues too, I even like the guys from the fire station now they're giving them a bit of depth.

The biggest problem for me is Freddie as the number 2 character in the show. I don't really find his character believable (as in it doesn't make sense to me how the Freddie from the original show turned into this guy). I'm also not too sure about the actor. Maybe a better actor would be able to sell the character to me more believably, or maybe the overall writing of the character is just too weak. But I find it really ruins seeing this as a continuation of Frasier, and it feels more like some alternate universe / reimagining nonsense. 

I enjoyed the 5th episode. I like Alan and Frasier together and David is probably the best thing about the ensemble cast.

20 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The biggest problem for me is Freddie as the number 2 character in the show. I don't really find his character believable (as in it doesn't make sense to me how the Freddie from the original show turned into this guy).

Agreed. He's the weak point. I would love if they showed the elements of old Freddie appearing every now and then. He's just not very good.