SuperBacon

On 10/9/2023 at 5:42 PM, SuperBacon said:

Ghosts

No idea why its taken me so long to start this, but I blitzed the first series yesterday whilst ill (have I mentioned I'm ill?)

Absolutely lovely stuff. Simon Farnaby is one of the most underrated comic actors in this country. He is just brilliant. His expressions as he concentrates to physically interact with something "sent me" as the kids say.

Although I did think of something whilst watching it. If ghosts have to physically concentrate to interact with something, and can walk through walls/doors etc, how are they able to walk then? As surely by this logic they would just fall through the floor and keep falling forever?

I've watched a series a day and finished it.

It was absolutely wonderful, The Captain and Pat being my favourite ghosts, but they were all great.

It also had so much warmth and heart and I got genuinely upset when (series 4 spoiler) 

Spoiler

Mary gets "sucked off" and the way Robin deals with it all.

Lovely show. Can't wait for the final episode at Christmas. 

Frasier (The Rodney Years)

It's...not too bad. There is sadly no Niles, but Niles son does a passable Hyde Pierce impression in his appearances. The voice in particular is well done.

Lyndhurst plays his part well, some exposition in the opening scene brings us up to date, and I'll probably watch the whole lot until I forget its on.

Freddie is a bit of a twat though. 

5 tossed salads and scrambled eggs out of 10. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Frasier (The Rodney Years)

It's...not too bad. There is sadly no Niles, but Niles son does a passable Hyde Pierce impression in his appearances. The voice in particular is well done.

He was my fave character in it, an even more weird and neurotic than his dad Niles Jr gives better balance as a Niles replacement than dry old Rodney does.

I thought the first episode was fine, although I watched like 30 hours of married with children this week so admittedly my old fashioned sitcom tolerance is quite high. It wouldn't be fair to judge it on one episode cos there was so much exposition and trying to fit everything in that there was barely room for jokes. I'll check out the next few episodes to see if it finds itself.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

5 tossed salads and scrambled eggs out of 10. 

The reviews have said that the show really kicks in about 4 episodes in when everything has bedded down. I think I actually sighed in delight during that first episode. Its just nice to watch new Frasier and it not be god awful.

• Paid Members

Episode 1 of new Frasier made me cry a little twice and I’m not ashamed to admit that.

My expectations were low but it was a lot better than expected. I like the reverse role of Frasier as Martin and Freddy as Frasier.

• Paid Members

Thought the 2nd episode was OK. It does remind me a lot of early Frasier where the pilot really nailed it to get the ball rolling and then it middled out and focused on growing the characters. I don’t want to start over-analyzing it (no pun intended) but I’m just happy it’s not shit.

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Oh I hope that's an intentional typo.

Reminds me of the great Peter Shilton anecdote. 

Plymouth Argyle had been relegated and he was giving a rallying talk to the team saying they can turn this into a positive and rise like a pheasant. The team looked bemused as he kept saying it until one piped up with “Gaffer, it’s rise like a phoenix”

“Is it? Well I knew it began with an F.”

El Diego forever. 

• Paid Members

I started watching Cheers a few days ago, I'll probably rattle through Frasier and new Frasier afterwards. I saw some reviews that said the new show really hits its stride after 3-4 episodes, presumably once everything has been properly established.