SuperBacon

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Factotum said:

According to the writers, the original idea for the new season was to have Frasier and Niles open a Theatre together, but David Hyde Pierce turned it down. They also wanted to include the funeral but again, David turning it down meant they couldn't.

I'm a bit gutted that we didn't get this, but in a way doing something new with the character at least gives it a clean break. But damn you David Hyde Pierce!!

I have a feeling if this season does well enough the previous cast might be more willing to return. Frasier ended barely on a high so I understand not wanting to come back and ruin it.

That being said I did see on Reddit that the first half or so of the season has the wrong feeling because the crowd is made up of execs and VIPs rather than fans, but they realised halfway through it wasn’t right and opened up lots more seating for fans.
For better or worse too apparently Kelsey Grammer eventually ends up interjecting the crowd when they react wrong in places, telling them to stay quiet or wind their necks in whooping and hollering at things. I think the latter half of the season might feel more like Frasier.

• Paid Members

I haven't read any reviews from the US media about it, but a lot of the UK reviews focus on the weirdness of Nicolas Lyndhurst being in it. I wonder if that four episode learning curve is a little less of a struggle to people not having to get over the fact that they're watching Rodney Trotter/Gary Sparrow in proper American telly. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I wonder if that four episode learning curve is a little less of a struggle to people not having to get over the fact that they're watching Rodney Trotter/Gary Sparrow in proper American telly. 

It could be four series and I don't think it would compute with me. Frasier is my favourite sitcom ever and I am enjoying the reboot but it's baffling. Every scene he's in my brain's going 'that's fucking Rodney that is!' It doesn't help that Nicholas Lyndhurst looks looks like a tombstone with a bunch of limbs stapled to it, and that he could be wearing a full gimp suit and you'd still know it's him beneath it. The bloke is Rodney down to his marrow, you put him in a brown suit and it's Rodney in a brown suit. He speaks with airs and it's Rodney doing a plummy voice because he's trying to chat up Cassandra.

Edited by Gus Mears

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

For better or worse too apparently Kelsey Grammer eventually ends up interjecting the crowd when they react wrong in places, telling them to stay quiet or wind their necks in whooping and hollering at things. I think the latter half of the season might feel more like Frasier.

I did read that his Directed episodes are the best. He gets the show down to his core, so yeah think it'll get better.

For all you Frasier fans with a Gameboy colour

play in browser or download for GBC or Analogue Pocket here https://edward-la-barbera.itch.io/frasier-fantasy?fbclid=PAAaYbGwCi0gRpoWgEKcgQKrcKDgQYNLv9ehP7SfVPisXR9X2HRN1SUM-xskU_aem_AVzMU0E-_HQx6bIHRThZNqvdNnjX1xTOQrIX7fWYDnhdFobYbSCjcLbMa1ClZfYvHhE

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Finished it last night. Only about half hour long but a fun little game. Chock full of easter eggs.

• Paid Members

I'm a Frasier virgin. Sort of, anyway. It's been on our telly a million times on Channel 4 in a morning but I've never paid attention to a second of it. The first episode of the 2023 one is the first one I've ever watched properly. I've now seen it twice because me and the missus watched ep 1 & 2 last night. I like it. Very warm and funny. Big Nick L fan but he sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm hopeful that will settle down.

I then started the original series and I'm 6/7 episodes in. Really enjoying it but too early to form an opinion. One thing I find a bit soul destroying with Yank sitcoms is the realisation that there's about 3 million episodes of everything to catch up on! 😁

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

I'm a Frasier virgin. Sort of, anyway. It's been on our telly a million times on Channel 4 in a morning but I've never paid attention to a second of it. The first episode of the 2023 one is the first one I've ever watched properly. I've now seen it twice because me and the missus watched ep 1 & 2 last night. I like it. Very warm and funny. Big Nick L fan but he sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm hopeful that will settle down.

I then started the original series and I'm 6/7 episodes in. Really enjoying it but too early to form an opinion. One thing I find a bit soul destroying with Yank sitcoms is the realisation that there's about 3 million episodes of everything to catch up on! 😁

I caught the 3rd episode of the new one last night and I'll be honest I'm really enjoying it. I don't find Nicholas Lyndhurst that distracting because I never thought much of OFAH and have maybe only seen a couple of dozen episodes.
I think the main negative about the new one is the supporting cast just isn't as good as the original, and even as a standalone they're not that brilliant. I'm not sure how to explain it, but the original Frasier always felt like it was regular people that sometimes said clever and funny things but the forefront was their character and personality. This one feels like the supporting cast are always trying to be funny rather than fleshing the characters out. So now you don't focus on the relationships between characters, you focus on the jokes they make and if they land or not.

I think that's why the first episode landed better than 2 and 3 for me, because it was about Frasier and Freddy, and Freddy and Martin, and wasn't there to just make jokes and pause for laughs. It's why the episodes of original Frasier that are a total farce stand out more over time because they were so rare. The restaurant, the radio play, Niles' silent comedy bit, for example.

• Paid Members

I watched part of the first episode (it's on Facebook), and while it was likeable enough, is the rest of it so fast? It feels like every scene is desperately running into the next one, and just cramming as much stuff as possible into the run-time. It felt more like Big Bang Theory in terms of pacing.

• Paid Members
On 10/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, FelatioLips said:

I think the main negative about the new one is the supporting cast just isn't as good as the original, and even as a standalone they're not that brilliant. I'm not sure how to explain it, but the original Frasier always felt like it was regular people that sometimes said clever and funny things but the forefront was their character and personality. This one feels like the supporting cast are always trying to be funny rather than fleshing the characters out. So now you don't focus on the relationships between characters, you focus on the jokes they make and if they land or not.

Saw the third one of the new series and I'm about 10/11 eps in to the original series. I think the first point here is pertinent. It's not that the characters in the original were massively fleshed out. There's been little to really define Niles, Daphne or Ros in the original so far. There's no big backstory given to anyone, it's subtle. The new characters are slowly being given bits and pieces of character too. However, they're just not as interesting.

I think the whole thing is dumber too. That's probably just a modern TV thing but there's a real dumbing down of the characters and the jokes. Probably good for an idiot like me. It's not Mrs Brown's Boys, don't get me wrong but it's a clear difference.