AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

11 hours ago, Supremo said:

He likely won’t be out of work for long. Seems Kevin will fit like a glove with the QAnon nutcases in NXT.

He isn’t talking about OUR Ian, is he?

• Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

Danielson vs Ospreay is happening… PAC is back (and coming after Okada!) … crazy bumpfest main event … Collision business is picking up! Yes please.

Good bit of angry “don’t hit me with a kendo stick” stuff from Toa Liona too. I have to ask the question. The question. Why was Toa Liona never part of Meat Madness? What happened to kill Meat Madness? A whole series of Dark Side Of The Ring dedicated to this, please. I will not stop banging this drum. The meat was there. THE MEAT WAS THERE!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
The line formatting looks a bit funny and I wondered if I could fix it, but I can’t. I haven’t actually edited anything, okay?!

• Paid Members

IMG_7805.thumb.jpeg.61ca5332c7051fccca69e2d2ed30e2b5.jpeg

IMG_7810.jpeg.27353face8f0a9983d6abab037682412.jpeg

IMG_7806.jpeg.0ecb6aaf512baac418918a2077e71569.jpeg

IMG_7811.jpeg.82732568136cb4cc0785fd3e29e6bfdf.jpeg

IMG_7808.thumb.jpeg.07def2c34759ad1c49cc7f86e70e396f.jpeg

IMG_7809.png.0855d40b18d5672481aa6c44dc9d60a0.png

Excellent Collision. Very enjoyable colliding all night long.

No Kevin Kelly! Result! Didn’t miss him at all.

Great opener. No surprise at all that Bryan Danielson gave Shane Taylor his best match in AEW. There was also a real magic to Danielson finally getting close to Nigel McGuinness and subtly staring him down. There’s real money when they eventually pull the trigger on that, presumably for Wembley. Nigel’s done an amazing job building it up. Ospreay and Danielson agreeing to a match like gentleman was a nice change of pace. “We’re both fucking amazing, shall we be fucking amazing together?” Fingers crossed they don’t cancel each other out and end up having anti-chemistry like Okada and Danielson do.

Speaking of Okada, this new dickhead character with The Bucks is already clicking massively. Such an inspired act. I only realised on this show that The Bucks wore the Okada-style dressing gowns at the pay per view, teasing the turn ahead of time, before they’d even boxed off the Sting stuff. This is why The Young Bucks are the best. That six man tag at Big Business looks amazing.

Fun angle with Copeland and Christian. Always love a masked angle. Props to Cope for his dedication to the bit. Looks like he was out there with signs from the moment they played Elton John at the start.

Nick Wayne continues to impress. He’s such a brilliant prick. Blowing kisses to the crowd and giving the camera a smarmy wink as he gets the three count, with the most punchable face of all time. High hopes for this young lad.

Chris Jericho without Judas? Woof! That’s all he has left! This thing with Hook is going to cause serious damage. Hook’s supposed to be the cool, laid back, crisp-scranning killer. The Gen Z Taz or Goldberg. It really betrays this character to have him knocking about as best mates with someone as uncool as Chris Jericho in 2024.

Solid match and banter from Mariah May and Toni Storm.

Collision’s worst trope is always the way in which guys randomly appear out of nowhere, suggesting there’s a portal between ROH and Collision, but of all the times guys have snuck over, The Infantry impressed. Real confidence and poise in that promo with FTR. You’d think they’d been on TV for months. It’s really impressive how much the Continental Classic has rebuilt faith in AEW tournaments. I can’t wait for this tag tournament. 

Wild, fun main event. Mark Briscoe continues to be one of the best babyfaces in the business today. Always taking crazy bumps, always the most charismatic man onscreen, fantastic seller, I can’t help but root for him. He and Daniel Garcia should eventually join forces. My boys! Shout out to Double J, too. He put a shift in here, with brilliant, crazy old man hair.

So yeah, another enjoyable episode of AEW television. Good vibes, solid pro-wrestling, momentum continuing to build, hitting that sweet spot of delivering great stuff in the moment whilst giving you loads to look forward to. 2024 has been fantastic thus far. Especially at the top of the card, it’s a great problem to have that so many guys feel like they not only could be World Champion but should be World Champion as soon as possible. It’s a coin toss between Samoa Joe, Swerve, Ospreay and Okada. All feel ready to carry the promotion. Wild to think these two dancing idiots will probably headline Wembley stadium against one another. Maybe Tony can pony up the cash to use the track on pay per view and recreate this spot as a celebration of how far both guys have come.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Can't add much more to the above but yeah, fun episode. I love fat Shane Taylor and his lovely punches.

I think if Jericho was willing to change up his character to acknowledge that he's old, washed up and boring as fuck and embraced a parasitic career-leech scumbag heel character I think you could actually tell a pretty good story between him and HOOK. But I don't think Jericho would be happy to check his ego and admit that he's shite now for this story to work.

Commentary loads better without Kevin Kelly but I'd like them to add a third man. My fave commentary moment this week:

Nigel: Danielson using the ring post to his advantage, what a cowardly cheat!

Tony: So you never did that in your career?

Nigel: Well it was ok when I did it.

EDIT: another point I love. Pac is the subject of some of the best and most consistent long term booking in AEW. No matter what - he fucking hates The Elite. From day one - no matter what form it takes or whatever is going on he just bloody hates them and wants to fight them all the time. So The Elite getting a new member and Pac returning and immediately trying to fight that new member was just wonderful.

Edited by LaGoosh

Props to Cope for his dedication to the bit. Looks like he was out there with signs from the moment they played Elton John at the start.

Ahh I just realised he would've be the one with the Mariah May sign she posed with - I was wondering why that person seemed intent on fully staying behind their sign.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, organizedkaos said:

Ahh I just realised he would've be the one with the Mariah May sign she posed with - I was wondering why that person seemed intent on fully staying behind their sign.

Copeland still hasn't forgiven Danielson for turning his Wrestlemania 37 main event against Roman into a Triple Threat. Love easter eggs like this.

image.png.75076713bf3ae8b3873b4bcbfe554f0d.png

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Collision 09/03/24

Excellent opener. Shane Taylor even more intense than usual here. All fired up, talking loads of shit during the match, always a huge fan of that. Danielson seamlessly switching from Eddie's villainous nemesis to the most sympathetic babyface in this David vs Goliath match. Really good stuff from both, Taylor methodical in control but everything he did looked great and felt significant, Danielson hanging in there and building a ton of sympathy on the way to his comeback. 

Loved Schiavone accusing Nigel of backing down when Bryan teased confronting him, and Nigel going "naaah I've got nothing to do with him". Tremendous. 

Simple and effective promos from Danielson and Osprey, the match is going to be outrageous. 

Very much enjoyed Okada bullying the jobbers. Dripping with arrogance. Okada was always going to get a babyface reaction on only his second full time appearance here but I still like the direction a lot. Pac return was awesome, the six man will be awesome, sign me up for the Pac vs Okada singles match whenever they want to go to it. One of those classic "oh shit yeah AEW has *this* match in the pocket now" moments for me. 

Mariah May and Trish Adora was solid. I love Trish Adora's kneeling german suplex. Post-match was loads of fun, Toni Storm segments haven't missed for quite a while for me now. I was still ready to believe that Mariah wasn't winning the Toni award despite being the only nominee. 

Patriarchy/Copeland stuff was great. So cool that Copeland sat there with different signs throughout the first hour. 

Titan vs Jericho was pretty good. Titan a lot more fun to watch than Atlantis Jr, Rugido and Magnus. None of them even in the same universe as Hechicero though. Miss that guy. Speaking of luchadores, I hope they've sorted out a new gimmick for Black Taurus and he'll be here to save Rampage from Top Flight and Private Party soon. Post-match an unwelcome reminder that we're getting the tag match instead of Hook vs Toa. Thanks Jericho. 

Patriarchy/Copeland stuff was great. So cool that Copeland sat there with different signs throughout the first hour. 

Solid promo from FTR. I appreciate it when a babyface acknowledges a major loss and takes it on the chin. Little bit of vulnerability goes a long way I think. Couldn't quite believe how good The Infantry sounded. They have been an automatic skip button act for me on ROH pretty much the entire time I've been watching it. Maybe it was the home town power up, maybe they've been improving this whole time while I've been skipping. Either way this was the first time I've ever found them remotely entertaining. I also googled what Magic City in Atlanta is and their Instagram page was very enlightening and I was only reading it for the articles. 

Mistico/Angelico was OK. Was hoping for slightly more whacky holds and counters. Probably didn't need AEW guy vs CMLL guy in exhibition singles matches twice on the same show. 

Main event was a blast. Wasn't even 15 minutes long but it was absolutely packed with thoroughly entertaining nonsense and madness. Sonjay being knocked on his arse by Brody was great, Jarrett taking out Brody was great, Briscoe is always great, HOB are at their best in multi man chaotic sprints. 

Fun show and, like Dynamite, set up or progressed plenty of interesting new directions. Mistico vs Angelico was the only slight lull in the show for me, other than that the pacing and variety were there. The Osprey/Danielson follow up and the Pac return also stopped it feeling like a filler episode, which it very well could have done sandwiched between two very significant Dynamite episodes.

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

PAC starting his promo with “A tellt ya!” is a beautiful thing

He was bordering on too geordie for me, and I am good at understanding accents. The septics will struggle to understand him I tellt ya.