AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

He was bordering on too geordie for me, and I am good at understanding accents. The septics will struggle to understand him I tellt ya. 

Whisht! Lad, haad yor gob. He’s gaan canny and it’s a thing of beauty. It’s not too Geordie til he changes his music to Blaydon Races. And I’ll pop for that ‘n al.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Divvent ye mind, surn

As someone who left the North East 25 years ago and hasn't lost the accent, Pac's commitment to being absolutely as Geordie as possible in promo's is one of the main reasons that he remains my favourite character in wrestling.

When he said 'I NEARLY POPPED ME CLOGS!!!', in his return vignette I nearly shat myself laughing. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

When he said 'I NEARLY POPPED ME CLOGS!!!', in his return vignette I nearly shat myself laughing. 

That he followed it up with a "....BUT I DIDN'T" in the style of Athletico Mince's Lenny Biscuits made it even better. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

As someone who left the North East 25 years ago and hasn't lost the accent, Pac's commitment to being absolutely as Geordie as possible in promo's is one of the main reasons that he remains my favourite character in wrestling.

I loved him yelling 'D'yunnerstan me?' to Okada, and everything about Okada's facial expression clearly conveying that he did not.

• Paid Members

Shibata/Danielson wasn't the classic it wold have been in years ago but it was still pretty great. The main thing that stood out to me was the "taking turns hitting each other" spot they did at the end which actually worked perfectly and made sense here unlike 99% of other matches it takes place in. Usually it's just a thing wrestlers do with the story of "let's see how tough we are" with no huge logic to it but here they really built up to it. Both men were equally matched throughout the entire match and had exhausted all their usual moves and tactics on each other but after all that neither of them had yet managed to gain any real advantage over the other at any point so it simply had to come down to "ok, let's just hit each other until one of us cracks". With the story of mutual respect laid into the foundations of the match it just worked here where it rarely works elsewhere.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Collision 16/03/24 

Shibata/Danielson was a delight. I loved how during the technical back and forth exchanges and counters they both looked like they were trying to outfox and outmanoeuvre each other. It wasn't just doing a sequence of holds to show off how good they are at grappling, and some of the counters played with my expectations of how that sequence would normally go when two guys *are* doing chain wrestling for the sake of it. 

Shifting through their game plans in perfect sync, matching each other throughout with nobody dominating or establishing control for any length of time. As @LaGoosh says, the bit where they sat down to trade blows almost felt like them deciding to settle it over a game of rock/paper/scissors, like a tie breaker. The finish was also perfect with that in mind. The whole match gave the impression they could have gone for an hour with neither being able to tap the other out or land a strike the other couldn't withstand, so it had to be that one second difference of one of them snatching it in the struggle. 

Just beautiful pro wrestling from two of the greatest. Loved it. 

Actually didn't hate the House Rules stipulation this time! That might be a first. Solid match here, stretching and smacking the hell out of each other. Thought Julia did a good job of showing how much of a struggle it was and how much pain she was in, came across as a scrappy and hard fought win against a more powerful opponent. Gorgeous moonsault to finish it too. 

Cool Hand/Ruby vs The Knights spilling over onto Collision now, feels like bonus content. Knight's promo was silly. You want to fight me? Nice Joke. Oh you'll get your fight, but not tonight. We'll fight, but not now. LET'S BE 'AVIN' YER! You can't say Let's be 'avin' yer after turning down a fight, surely? What a goof. I hope Cool Hand whups his ass. 

Daddy Magic back on the desk for Danny Garcia's match, love it. Would have preferred him to be there for the whole show but I'll take it. Short and sweet match. Nice to see Garcia win convincingly despite Shane Taylor's shenanigans and Moriarty winding him up. 

Damn it's good to have Pac back. Against all logic he looks to be in better shape than ever,  he's as spectacular in ring as ever and is sounding incredible on the mic. Also The Black Arrow is one of those moves that never loses its lustre now many times I see it. 

Danielson turning Osprey's "I don't plan on dying bruv" around on him by saying he and Shibata were both willing to do so for pro wrestling was a great rebuttal. 

Claudio and Archer was a fun change of pace. Good old fashioned hoss battle and a chance for Claudio to do mad feats of strength. Was more excited to see The Righteous do something other than kill jobbers on ROH. Wonder why they weren't in the tag team tournament.

"The Cruiserweight cowboy" is such a funny nickname for Bryan Keith. It's so cute. Like The Adorable Outlaw. He has a belting new theme song which, regrettably, sounds like it should herald the arrival of a much cooler wrestler. Kyle O'Reilly's offense all looked great and he was chuffed to be back, but not especially interested in whether or not he joins Undisputed Kingdom. 

Was funny hearing Deonna Purazzo call Thunder Rosa "Thunder" like that's a person's first name. 

HOB vs Infantry was way more interesting than I expected it to be. The beating The Infantry took at the beginning was so rough, Schiavone calling it "a good old fashioned ass kicking", was bordering on uncomfortable to watch because I thought they were going to do a prolonged squash match. Was almost relieved when The Infantry had their little hope spots, so I guess they did a good job building sympathy. They’re certainly giving it a go with The Infantry. 

Thought Copeland's Spike, and Spike itself, were pretty lame. The match will be great though. 

A decidedly OK episode of Collision highlighted by an excellent opener. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

If I was Tony right now I'd be rubbing my hands together in glee at the prospect of 2024's revisit of Shibata vs Okada. On the undercard of Typhoon vs Fandango.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

The joy of Shibata and Danielson trading stiff shots cross-legged was only increased by Nigel McGuinness’ deadpan delivery, describing Danielson as, “..sitting down on the job…lazy.” That’s going to end up being feud of the year the day Danielson pulls him up on all the burying. It’s a weekly delight hearing Nigel come up with new one ways to take the piss.

My first time seeing Zack Knight. Oof. Like an even shitter Karrion Kross! I hope Saraya is getting a high percentage. He owes her everything.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Supremo said:

My first time seeing Zack Knight. Oof. Like an even shitter Karrion Kross! I hope Saraya is getting a high percentage. He owes her everything.

The fact Bully Ray loves him and has been pulling for a US promotion to sign him should tell you everything

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah Zack Knight is proper cringe. I can imagine his act working at the working men's clubs in front of children and pissed up old ladies but his panto snarling is fucking embarrassing. 

I love Nigel constantly taking the piss out of Danielson but hope it never leads to a match. The retired  wrestler turned commentator coming back for one last fight is the ultimate babyface story. It doesn't really work when it's a heel constantly ripping the piss out of a babyface coming out of retirement. If the roles were reversed and it was Danielson picking on Nigel the Commentator I'd be all for it but the way things are currently it just doesn't work as a story for me.

Edited by LaGoosh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've only caught the YouTube clip of BCC+Shibata v The Righteous+Archer which was a fun match from what I saw. The only real blemish was the ring announcer saying "Your winners by submission" after a clean pin in the middle of the ring. It didn't even look like a fucked up finish, so that's some bad work. 

Thank goodness he’s OK, but the Ricky Starks situation was an absolute mess. I can’t believe this happened again, after the Moxley/Fenix situation relatively recently. I can’t believe they didn’t instruct referees to count to three regardless, much as they do in WWE. Even if there’s not an emergency and a wrestler has messed up, stopping a count for no reason arguably does more damage to the company than an incorrect finish. And more importantly, forcing the match to continue could have done more damage to Starks, had this been more serious.