AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Perfectly watchable episode this week with only The Acclaimed stuff being bad. These lads are fucking dead in the water right now.

Fun main event, the opening exchanges made me very keen to watch a Shibata vs Lance Archer match which isn't a match I had ever considered before. They just seemed to have good chemistry.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

only The Acclaimed stuff being bad. These lads are fucking dead in the water right now.

Even the water is telling them to fuck off at the minute. They need some sort of revamp but I'm not sure what if I'm honest. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Even the water is telling them to fuck off at the minute. They need some sort of revamp but I'm not sure what if I'm honest. 

I think they're done. They had a good run but it's not the type of gimmick you can keep fresh long term. I have no idea what you do with either man as singles acts but if I was them I'd get the drawing boards out now before it's too late.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Collision 30/03/24

Very hot start to the show with Copeland and Cardona. The crowd was on top form throughout, and Cardona did a great job of turning them completely against him by the end. Really enjoyed this. Love that Mark Briscoe is so determined not to let the House of Black have any fun. 

This crowd was hotter for The Acclaimed than others recently and I thought Daddy Ass did fine, but sort-of-serious Max Caster is horrible. "Twinkblade" was a shocking effort. "That's a mic drop" is also terrible, especially when Uncle Tony still held onto the mic because Bowens still had to speak.. You can't say something terrible and then just say "that's a mic drop". You say something cool and then you drop the mic. Come on Max.

Bowens' shouting hype man thing worked at the end of their entrance when the crowds used to be at fever pitch, but when he's also trying to get a bit serious it sounds silly for him to shout the whole time., then at the end when he and Bowens have successfully cooled off the crowd, it sounds like he's pleading with them to make noise again at the end. It's a shame but I have to agree the act feels like it's circling the drain. 

On the plus side, I'm hoping the Acclaimed/Gunns staying backstage thing is because Juice is coming back to interfere. 

I'm thinking that one decent Infantry promo segment in Atlanta was a blip because I have gone back to finding them a thoroughly bland tag team since. It ended up being a good match because FTR can do a  base level of good tag team match with anyone, but I didn't think the Infantry brought anything of note to the proceedings and looked a little bit lost at times. The finishing sequence would have been cool if the Infantry guy (not a good sign that I can't remember which guy) hadn't taken an age to get up and turn around into the Shatter Machine, making Dax flipping Cash over his head to get them in the right position a bit redundant. 

Copeland/Briscoe/Kingston super team up promo was great. What an eclectic gang. Briscoe stole the show but I loved Eddie's spitting mist/spitting up blood and teeth closer. That's how you do it Max. 

Was not interested in the Kyle O'Reilly match they'd been threatening with graphics throughout the show. Did perk up a bit when I saw it was JD Drake as the jobber, but it was pretty much a squash. Will one of the coldest acts on the roster join one of the other coldest acts, or will he FIGHT THEM? On the Rated R Superstar Adam Copeland of my seat here lads. 

A battle of Wills. Ha. Hobbs vs Osprey sounds delightful and is presumably the next step towards the Callis Family turning on Osprey. 

I was very distracted during the Bill/Starkz vs Top Flight match by Riccaboni's mention of Tony losing his dog and saying that he was there in case Tony couldn't do the show, and Tony's very sincere response. I love both of these guys and I bloody love dogs. RIP. 

The match itself was obviously overshadowed by the Ricky Starkz injury. He looked completely out of it at the end and it was very very uncomfortable watching him continue. Should obviously have been stopped. 

Thought Thunder Rosa and Lady Frost worked well together. Did some good lucha things here.. The crowd didn't care but they roped them in a bit by the end and we got the rarely heard Lady Frost chant. Nigel McGuinness also correctly called the Chiller Driller for Frost's big near fall! He was taking notes from Kevin Kelly this whole time. I find Lady Frost to be consistently good fun to watch, it's just a shame she is apparently a mute. 

Another excellent Toni Storm segment. Mariah was great again too. Teasing the turn harder than ever now. 

Osprey video package was very good. 

I was 100% sold on the main event before it started. What a set of guys for a six man; Dutch vs anyone on the other team works for me, same goes for Archer. Delightful main event. Claudio from the hot tag onwards was in full on superhero mode, it was a joy to watch. Shibata was also fantastic here in the exchanges with Archer and the closing stretch. Would have liked a Shibata/Dutch showdown as well but I can't have everything. Archer and Dutch slamming each other onto Danielson was brilliant, as was the glorious Bossman slam. Come on Lance, you already have white gear, make it official. Vincent beating down Danielson might have gone on for a tiny bit too long, but it did allow Nigel to let rip on Danielson on commentary so it was worth it. 

Nothing Earth-shattering on the show but I was thoroughly entertained, with a main even that is exactly what I'm looking for on Collision. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

@Lion_of_the_Midlands Not only was that a flub from Dasha, it was also presumably her last televised announcement for AEW. 

It's a real shame they let her go, I thought she did a very good job. Justin Roberts can be a bit much too, so having an announcer without all the schtick to balance it out was a good thing. 

Pretty boring episode, tbh. 

Yuka Vs. Deeb could be a lot of fun and enjoyed the post HOB match brawl. But not much else.

STP another example of AEW expecting people to take complete scrubs as some sort of threat.

Oh and Ogogo finally returns just to be sucked into the Jericho blackhole. Fucking hell.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Oh and Ogogo finally returns just to be sucked into the Jericho blackhole. Fucking hell.

Wondering if they’re planning to drag that bit out long enough that they have Jericho vs Ogogo at Wembley.

Speaking of Wembley, I am very excited for PAC vs Okada to the point I’m buying Dynasty to see it, but if they want to wrap PAC in cotton wool after that until August that is fine because I can’t have him getting injured and missing All In again.

”I’m calling you out, bonny lad!” Yes PAC!

This episode also had a great Dustin promo. He never said “bonny lad” and he has zero chance of winning the title but it was great nonetheless.

3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

This episode also had a great Dustin promo. He never said “bonny lad” and he has zero chance of winning the title but it was great nonetheless.

The thought of Dustin's sleepy eyes looking down the camera as he drawls, "I'm like a hunny badga, I'll rip yeh bastad face off!", doesn't fill me with the same kind of joy.

• Paid Members

The perfect antidote after putting on a critically panned show is a banger. And in that regard, this was a pretty great episode.  

Love me some Daddy Magic so enjoyed him sitting in for Nigel this week.

Thought House of Black v Top Flight Ish was a good opener, ran a bit long but still a good match to open.

Shibata vs Moriarty was almost too short. Just as it started really going it was done. Does Anthony Ogogo have the weirdest British accent? Where’s it from?

Garcia vs Angelico was as fun as you’d expect. There’s something I like about Angelico, he’s never gonna be a top guy, but I enjoy him more than most lower card people. 

Not familiar with AZM, but thought she was great and gave Toni Storm her best match in months. A delightful surprise.

I like Thunder Rosa, but I find her a bit bland usually. Until tonight, great babyface promo and got me excited for the match next week. Job done.

FTR vs Young Bucks in a ladder match?!? Tony Khan you son of a bitch.

BCC Vs Hobbs and Fletcher was a great main event, hard hitting, exciting, pushed the story with Danielson and Ospreay. Yeah, this was great.

Collision does a really good job of taking an average card and over delivering. It’s come a long way since those early months when it was Punks mates and it was all quite samey. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I like Thunder Rosa, but I find her a bit bland usually. Until tonight, great babyface promo and got me excited for the match next week. Job done.

Really? I thought it was terrible, she forgot what she was saying and kept stumbling over her lines.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Really? I thought it was terrible, she forgot what she was saying and kept stumbling over her lines.

Maybe it’s rose tinted glasses based on her other promos

• Paid Members

Collision is often a very easy, relaxing and satisfying watch and this weeks ticked all the boxes I want from my wrestling B shows.

Special mention for the fun main event which had a good story going into it of the Callis Family intent on wearing down Danielson and Castagnoli to protect the golden goose Ospreay. Then the match itself told a strong story where Hobbs/Fletcher are younger, faster and more physically and athletically gifted and focusing on big moves to take out their opponents but their opponents were tougher, more experienced and technically skilled that they were eventually able to overwhelm the Callis Family. Good shit, real graps.

• Paid Members

There's something about Collision where because it doesn't have the pressure of being the flagship show it just feels more relaxed and fun. It's fast becoming my favourite wrestling show.

So no surprise, but last night's episode was EXCELLENT. Two really great trios matches, incredibly bonkers and fun Bunkhouse Brawl, a great squash, decent fast paced tag match, solid women's singles all interlaced with great quick promos throughout and a hot crowd - you've got a damn near perfect episode of TV wrestling. If you like wrestling at all, do yourself a favour and watch this episode with a cup of tea or bowl of cereal, relax and have a great fucking time.