Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 2 hours ago, westlondonmist said: Is it really possible for him to look weaker? Absolutely he can. If they lose the by-election then it will be because he was scared of letting Andy Burnham stand. He will look a lot weaker at that point. Quote
westlondonmist Posted January 26 Posted January 26 27 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: Absolutely he can. If they lose the by-election then it will be because he was scared of letting Andy Burnham stand. He will look a lot weaker at that point. That's how it may look, I'm not sure it's the case that Burnham was some guaranteed winner. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 Burnham's the best of a bad bunch for me, but I'm hoping he'll do better than Starmer eventually. This result might actually be good for him. He's proving that more left-wing policies are benefiting his constituents (though if any Mancs on here feel the opposite, please let us know). Mayoralties are, in some ways, quite powerful positions, because, once in power, mayors can be broadly independent from the Westminster faction, and they can build up political power bases if they're savvy enough. Burnham should take the opportunity to build up his activist support and frameworks in the region, so that it will become politically difficult to fuck with him in future. Plus, if he runs for the leadership in future, he's got a "Westminster cabal screwed me" card in his back pocket. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 I don't know how much I care for him as a future Labour leader, he didn't sound too inspiring in his previous attempts, but as a Manchester local I think he's been good for the area and I'd be sorry to lose him as mayor. Whether it's for attempts at future power or genuine belief he feels like someone who wants the area to imrpove and do ambitious things. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 5 minutes ago, Jesse said: I don't know how much I care for him as a future Labour leader, he didn't sound too inspiring in his previous attempts, but as a Manchester local I think he's been good for the area and I'd be sorry to lose him as mayor. Whether it's for attempts at future power or genuine belief he feels like someone who wants the area to imrpove and do ambitious things. The whole country should be fucking federalised anyway. Quote
Paid Members JNLister Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 33 minutes ago, westlondonmist said: That's how it may look, I'm not sure it's the case that Burnham was some guaranteed winner. I don't know about guaranteed winner, but if a Labour mayor of Manchester can't win a parliamentary by-election in Manchester, he's not going to lead the party to a general election win. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 1 hour ago, westlondonmist said: That's how it may look, I'm not sure it's the case that Burnham was some guaranteed winner. I agree with you. I had said in my previous post that Burnham wasn't a shoo in. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted February 8 Posted February 8 Surely now with McSweeney gone its only a matter of time before Starmer goes as well. I dont think the country will accept McSweeney's resignation as being enough of a 'reaction' to the Mandelson scandal. Question must be now, how soon will it be? I doubt he'll last until the May elections Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted February 8 Paid Members Posted February 8 I don't like Starmer at all but if he quits that'll mean we haven't had a PM do a full term since 2015! What a pathetic shambles this country is. Truly embarrassing. Quote
Paid Members stumobir Posted February 8 Paid Members Posted February 8 The last PM to enter and leave office though general election was Ted Heath! Quote
Chili Posted February 8 Posted February 8 I'm a bit unclear as to who McSweeney was besides obviously being an arsehole, was he sort of Starmer's Dominic Cummins? Why has he specifically resigned in relation to this then? Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted February 8 Paid Members Posted February 8 11 minutes ago, Chili said: I'm a bit unclear as to who McSweeney was besides obviously being an arsehole, was he sort of Starmer's Dominic Cummins? Why has he specifically resigned in relation to this then? He's Starmer's chief advisor. Sort of a Poundshop Alastair Campbell. Also the cunt who helped co-ordinate the campaign against the left and Corbyn. He was the one who advised Starmer to appoint Mandelson as ambassador. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted February 8 Members Posted February 8 12 minutes ago, Chili said: I'm a bit unclear as to who McSweeney was besides obviously being an arsehole, was he sort of Starmer's Dominic Cummins? Why has he specifically resigned in relation to this then? Plenty of places you can read about him. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy0l9z7qv0lo Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted February 27 Members Posted February 27 Maybe there is some hope after all. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2026/feb/27/green-party-wins-gorton-and-denton-byelection-in-blow-to-keir-starmer Quote
deathrey Posted February 27 Posted February 27 I am feeling hopeful for the first time in a while. I actually woke up in the night worrying about the by-election and was relieved to see the results, particularly that it was not as close as originally predicted Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.