The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Good God. How petty. I’ve actually ordered one. It’s the first footy shirt I’ve bought since around 2010 and it’s a fake Chinese replica at a fraction of the price but I actually think it’s a very good shirt.

Noticed Owen Jones has withdrawn his Labour Party membership. The reasons he gave (basically carrying on with the same Tory policies) were valid in fairness.

5 minutes ago, LCJ said:

Noticed Owen Jones has withdrawn his Labour Party membership. The reasons he gave (basically carrying on with the same Tory policies) were valid in fairness.

And a lot of the people who were telling him (and everyone with similar views) to fuck off out of the party if he didn’t like where they were gong are not happy that he has now fucked off. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, LCJ said:

He's not a train, he doesn't need to announce his departure. For me Clive, Owen Jones always does what will get most attention for Owen Jones. He's a grifter with a Guardian veneer. I might be wrong but that's how I feel about him. 

I’ve not always been Owen Jones’ biggest fan either but he did raise some very good points in this X post (he needs better closed captions though).

I’m expecting Labour to win convincingly at the next election but I’m just not excited about it. Sure, it’ll be great to see more Tory wipeout on election night (hopefully) but for what exactly? To hand power over to a party who’ve decided to do the same things? Pro Brexit, anti-nationalisation, pro austerity and pro privatisation? It’s bloody depressing.

48 minutes ago, LCJ said:

Good God. How petty. I’ve actually ordered one. It’s the first footy shirt I’ve bought since around 2010 and it’s a fake Chinese replica at a fraction of the price but I actually think it’s a very good shirt.

The way he's thrown in "and they need to reduce the price of the shirts" at the end is really annoying as yes, clearly Kier, only the very rich like yourselves can justify a £120 shirt, but it has nothing to do with your original pathetic point.

Does he really expect Nike to turn around and go "Yeah, cool. We've manufactured millions of these fuckers, and they're on sale next week, but let us just change the design quickly so all the mouth frothers are happy"

Ironically about 10 or so years ago Umbro also put multicoloured St Georges crosses on the shirt, but no one gave a shit, as its a pathetic issue.

35 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

He's not a train, he doesn't need to announce his departure.

I think in this instance it's justified.

I'm not a particularly big fan of his, or his style of journalism, but he's definitely a high profile Labour member, and people will want to hear why he's left.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, LCJ said:

I’ve not always been Owen Jones’ biggest fan either but he did raise some very good points in this X post (he needs better closed captions though).

I’m expecting Labour to win convincingly at the next election but I’m just not excited about it. Sure, it’ll be great to see more Tory wipeout on election night (hopefully) but for what exactly? To hand power over to a party who’ve decided to do the same things? Pro Brexit, anti-nationalisation, pro austerity and pro privatisation? It’s bloody depressing.

Given that Jones is just the Farage of the left this is his 'Brexit isn't working moment. He's an agitator & a professional protestor, that's where his income & appeal comes from. Just like Farage was lost when he actually got the Brexit he'd spent years campaigning for Jones needs to find a new angle.

His stock was already damaged after he'd spent years claiming what the people wanted was a 'proper left wing Labour leader' & when he got it 'the people' rejected it. Now he's doing this before he's resigned to whatever his equivalent of pointing at boats at Dover is. 

It'll probably secure him a media cycle. Some more appearances on The Wright Stuff & Loose Women. Job done.

• Paid Members

Starmer's is very much trying to court every vote he can. I've been saying for a while that I feel a Starmer's Labour government would be "less bad" as opposed to "better" if that makes any sense? I totally understand why he's doing what he's doing, but to be doing interviews with the S*n and all the "at least we're not the Tories" campaigning really isn't filling me with hope. 

• Paid Members

It's been a bad week for Labour centrists. What with Starmer doing another The Sun interview and Lammy claiming Thatcher was great. Getting what they deserve.

6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The way he's thrown in "and they need to reduce the price of the shirts" at the end is really annoying as yes, clearly Kier, only the very rich like yourselves can justify a £120 shirt, but it has nothing to do with your original pathetic point.

Does he really expect Nike to turn around and go "Yeah, cool. We've manufactured millions of these fuckers, and they're on sale next week, but let us just change the design quickly so all the mouth frothers are happy"

Ironically about 10 or so years ago Umbro also put multicoloured St Georges crosses on the shirt, but no one gave a shit, as its a pathetic issue.

I think in this instance it's justified.

I'm not a particularly big fan of his, or his style of journalism, but he's definitely a high profile Labour member, and people will want to hear why he's left.

Yeah had he come out and said the prices are ridiculous especially as the replica ones (is it stadium) look a bit shit so to buy your kid a proper one is 120 notes. He didn't, he sort of added that at the end of his rant. 

Nike probably loving the free publicity.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

Starmer's is very much trying to court every vote he can. I've been saying for a while that I feel a Starmer's Labour government would be "less bad" as opposed to "better" if that makes any sense? I totally understand why he's doing what he's doing, but to be doing interviews with the S*n and all the "at least we're not the Tories" campaigning really isn't filling me with hope. 

I'm struggling to even see the 'less bad' these days.