The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Indeed they do, but for me, I’m not voting for a party who are miles away from me politically to get rid of another who are a couple of miles further away. I also accept that I’m in a minority with my politics but it comes back to compromise innit. Now for a repeated post!

Voting is like public transport. You know exactly where you want to go but it’s highly unlikely there’s a bus stop or tram stop right outside the door of where you’re going. So you see which option gets you closest and use that service. However, if all available services aren’t going anywhere near wheee you’re going, you aren’t going to use them. 

Difference is that a bus is on a fixed course. You can influence a party from within once in power.

I'd take 20% of what I actually want with the opportunity to get more. Over 100% of what I absolutely don't want with a good chance things will get even worse. 

55 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Difference is that a bus is on a fixed course

Well, yes. That’s kind of the whole point of the metaphor, compromise!

56 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

You can influence a party from within once in power.

Not sure I follow what you mean here, could you elaborate, please? 

58 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I'd take 20% of what I actually want with the opportunity to get more. Over 100% of what I absolutely don't want with a good chance things will get even worse. 

Who wouldn’t! But that is applicable to practically every party out there, they’re all offering at least 20% of what people want. That’s why you choose the best bus stop. If your level of compromise is 20% of what you want, that’s not a compromise, it’s rolling over. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Not sure I follow what you mean here, could you elaborate, please? 

Party direction and policy focus can be influenced, voted for and suggested whilst in power. Leaders change, cabinets change and so does focus/priority. Look at how the Tories have changed in the past 6yrs.

18 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Party direction and policy focus can be influenced, voted for and suggested whilst in power. Leaders change, cabinets change and so does focus/priority. Look at how the Tories have changed in the past 6yrs.

Labour haven’t been in power though and they’ve done exactly that. You don’t need to be in government to change. 

18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yes but you said you can influence a party from within once in power, then agreed that you can do it when not in power. It’s a bit confusing, to me at least. 

Jeremy Cornyn has left a lasting legacy on Labour's manifesto, even though he never became PM.  Elements of his agenda will be part of the next government's agenda.

Similarly Bernie Sanders' campaigns for nomination pulled the Democratic Party to the left.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Loki said:

Jeremy Cornyn has left a lasting legacy on Labour's manifesto, even though he never became PM.  Elements of his agenda will be part of the next government's agenda.

Not if Keir has anything to do with it. AMIRITE LADS!!!

10 minutes ago, Loki said:

Similarly Bernie Sanders' campaigns for nomination pulled the Democratic Party to the left.

The initial point was about not voting for a party who were miles away from someone politically. Mike said you can influence a party from within once they’re in power, then agreed that you don’t have to be in power to influence a party from within. 

Besides, let’s say I vote Labour and they get power. How can I as a voter influence them from within now they’re in government in a way I couldn’t when they’re in opposition. 

Obviously we will need to wait to see the manifesto to see how many of Corbyns policies are still in it. And the Dems haven’t been pulled to the left in my opinion, Sanders isn’t even in the party. I think it’s more people wanted Bernie more than they wanted the Dems. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Ol’ Kieth has unfortunately forgotten the platform on which he was elected Labour leader. Just in case the way he’s been sucking up to the right wing press in the last year didn’t solidify his credentials as the next John Major. 

18 hours ago, Loki said:

I don't have any issue with people choosing not to vote, but if they choose not to participate in the democratic process then they don't get to moan about the outcome, to me at any rate. 

Yeah, I won't be moaning about the outcome. I don't really think it'll make much difference to be honest.