The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Throughout the near-century of Labour being a party of government, the Tories have had more than twice as many prime ministers, and have been in power nearly twice as long as Labour ever have

Currently watching Politics Live and Streeting said if Sunak is ousted before the next election as some MPs want, they’ll have had the same amount of PMs since 2010 than Labour have had in their existence. 

And as always, I think pandering to the right just to get power is “Yay red team won” and counts for fuck all when you’re where the tories have been politically. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Currently watching Politics Live and Streeting said if Sunak is ousted before the next election as some MPs want, they’ll have had the same amount of PMs since 2010 than Labour have had in their existence. 

And as always, I think pandering to the right just to get power is “Yay red team won” and counts for fuck all when you’re where the tories have been politically. 

I absolutely agree, which is why I was careful to caveat my post - I don't align with Labour as they currently are, and just because I'm left-wing doesn't mean that I automatically should vote Labour, in the same way that not every right-winger would be expected to vote Tory - some vote Lib Dem, some vote Reform/UKIP/some cunts.

Was just noting the practicalities - I think, when you're faced with that kind of situation, you have two options open to you: you're going to take flak either way, so you either play it safe and strategic, or you Go Big Or Go Home. The current Labour leadership have seen what happened when Corbyn's Labour Went Big (partly because a fair chunk of them were responsible for fucking him over), so they probably thought "OK, we're going to have to play this proper Hue & Cry, or we'll get shafted by the Tories, the electorate, the media, and our own people".

She's a former banker, she won't want to upset her mates.

I get it they didn't put this law into place, but what the fuck do Labour actually stand for? I know why I shouldn't vote Tory, but I don't know why I should vote Labour. They seem to be relying on Tories and SNP being shite. I could actually see the turn out at the next election being incredibly low as currently all parties look a bit shit. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I mean, I hate hearing him speak because he's a total knob, so my reaction to the video is still revulsion... But that's not really the gotcha its trying to be sold as is it? Asking for donations from members is just completely par for the course.

10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Of course it is. I don't think that's what is being questioned here is it?

Exactly. Abbott has been the victim of appalling abuse from Labour employees and staffers, as well as members of the PLP. It’s been nearly a year since she had the whip removed, she apologised the same day yet the investigation is still ongoing? Even though since there have been white blokes having the whip removed for the same charge but restored? It’s factional and it’s horrible. 

If Starmer really cared about the abuse Abbott receives, he’d deal with the people within his party who dish it out to her. To use her situation to fundraise when you won’t even help her with the abuse is galling.