The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

I think freeports are a good idea myself from what I've read and heard about it through my job (I live and work not far from the Solent freeport) but I don't know whether it will just be another thing proposed and dropped.

If it does happen, I'd like to see each port tied to something similar to a local ESP (Employment Skills Plan) like a 106 agreement does for development (in a nutshell, a developer has to utilise local provision from the surrounding community and invest in the community as well) as that would benefit the local area, and selfishly tie in to my actual job.

The argument I've heard against is around money laundering and tax evasion, but I don't know enough about them to determine whether that can be done (I'm sure it can)

• Paid Members

It does seem to be something that is being set up by the Tories and then used as a bat to beat them with. Mainly in the Twitter space. As you've said @SuperBacon there do seem to be a number of benefits. However, if there's a way to screw over the average person. They'll find a way. I wonder if these Freeport's will still be governed by accepted labour laws?

• Paid Members

A bit like a tax haven?

It seems that the idea of Freeport's has been tried before. Local Enterprise Partnership was the name. An idea pushed in 2011 and in the 80s.

The assessment of the Enterprise Zones in the 80's ALSO found that 80% of the jobs "created" were actually taken from other places.

Will the new designation of "Freeport's" change the findings of a future assessment. Or is this another attempt at something that doesn't necessarily work? Certainly not for those at the bottom of the rung.

Will Freeport's  create migration of workforce?

It's something I'm trying to learn more about. 

Edited by BigJag

Not sure which thread to put this in but hoping someone with more knowledge may be able to help.

I'd like to make a donation to help provide aid to Gaza, but know that aid is being blocked. This may sound like a silly question but is donating to provide aid futile at the moment or is it still beneficial?

Thanks

I think organisation like Doctors without borders are probably a good place to start, as far as I know, they are still sending doctors to help in Gaza. I have been donating to specific appeals - formula and nappies for babies and sanitary products for women with the hope that they are getting there somehow. I know limited aid was getting in via Egypt and I guess I'm still donating because I want to feel like I'm at least doing something and hoping that it is getting to them.

Starmer gave a big speech today. Nothing groundbreaking but delivered competently and statesmanlike. He came across well. However, I was delighted someone asked about Mandelson. And of course he lied about it. 

I thought it was a good speech, and I think although it will be difficult, trying to persuade people to not give up on politics generally is the right approach.   

It felt like he was anticipating a May GE so of course Sunak pours cold water on that within hours, suggesting the election will be in the autumn.  The Tories' only plan is to hope some awful catastrophe befalls the Labour Party that they can take advantage of, so the latest date possible is now looking likely.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Loki said:

The Tories' only plan is to hope some awful catastrophe befalls the Labour Party

Finally I agree with them on something!

• Paid Members
On 12/27/2023 at 2:25 PM, BigJag said:

A bit like a tax haven?

It seems that the idea of Freeport's has been tried before. Local Enterprise Partnership was the name. An idea pushed in 2011 and in the 80s.

The assessment of the Enterprise Zones in the 80's ALSO found that 80% of the jobs "created" were actually taken from other places.

Will the new designation of "Freeport's" change the findings of a future assessment. Or is this another attempt at something that doesn't necessarily work? Certainly not for those at the bottom of the rung.

Will Freeport's  create migration of workforce?

It's something I'm trying to learn more about. 

Gove was questioned about some dodgy dealings in the Teeside Freeport. The Tees Valley Mayor has used is political advantage to buy up land within the Freeport. For a bargain of ÂŁ1. He'll be getting a massive return on that. Ben Houchen, the Mayor, is highly respected by Gove.

Edited by BigJag

https://www.itv.com/watch/news/ed-davey-refuses-to-say-sorry-over-post-office-scandal/xc89ymz

Fuck me what a car crash interview.  Why he couldn’t just say the words “I am sorry” is beyond me.

He’s no more culpable in all this than any other minister but it would cost him nothing to be a bit more contrite.