The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

6 minutes ago, Loki said:

https://www.itv.com/watch/news/ed-davey-refuses-to-say-sorry-over-post-office-scandal/xc89ymz

Fuck me what a car crash interview.  Why he couldn’t just say the words “I am sorry” is beyond me.

He’s no more culpable in all this than any other minister but it would cost him nothing to be a bit more contrite.

I’m sure you’ve seen it already, but, and here’s something I never thought I’d say, I wish the  Peston show went on a bit longer. Trigger warning - contains Jess Phillips. 

19 minutes ago, Loki said:

https://www.itv.com/watch/news/ed-davey-refuses-to-say-sorry-over-post-office-scandal/xc89ymz

Fuck me what a car crash interview.  Why he couldn’t just say the words “I am sorry” is beyond me.

He’s no more culpable in all this than any other minister but it would cost him nothing to be a bit more contrite.

Yeah, he could easily say "I'm sorry, I should have had more confidence in the sub postmasters. " An apology isn't accepting full blame. He comes across as a bit of a twat.

edit: Yeah, why doesn't he hand back his knighthood. Again not sure why someone gets a knighthood for being a politician. 

Edited by westlondonmist

3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m sure you’ve seen it already, but, and here’s something I never thought I’d say, I wish the  Peston show went on a bit longer. Trigger warning - contains Jess Phillips. 

I know this is a very uncool thing to say but I bloody love Hislop.

Someone asked one of my mates in work if he was ashamed of wearing his (Royal Mail) uniform this week. He probably is tbf but not because a couple of different companies and the British government shafted some poor bastards 20 odd years ago. People really need to be getting their news from more than just ITV dramas. 

51 minutes ago, Loki said:

Does he always talk like that?  Sort of half whispering/talking under his breath as if he doesn't want people around to hear?  Really doesn't come across well given the the situation.  Half expected just him to cut the guy off with "Shhhhh! They can hear you!"

13 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Someone asked one of my mates in work if he was ashamed of wearing his (Royal Mail) uniform this week. He probably is tbf but not because a couple of different companies and the British government shafted some poor bastards 20 odd years ago. People really need to be getting their news from more than just ITV dramas. 

Royal Mail and Post Office aren't the same thing are they? A horrible question for anyone in a Post Office anyway, they didn't do anything wrong. 

It is mental the effect a TV drama can have. However I think it shows a distrust for news outlets these days.

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

Labour got terfed out of a safe Hackney council seat last night.

Spectacular showing from the LibDems, too, putting up Natural Law party numbers there.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Spectacular showing from the LibDems, too, putting up Natural Law party numbers there.

They almost swapped numbers with the tories. The previous LibDem candidate was a former councillor who was still quite popular with locals. He stood for the tories this time to oppose the low traffic neighbourhood policy and won. 

Apparently Labour blocked a popular trade unionist from standing as their candidate, which makes them shitting the bed even funnier. 

• 2 weeks later...

The actual article says that lots of the policies will stay but numbering it with X amount of billion being spent is being used by Sunak to say well that isn't actually possible or this will generate more public debt. The reality is selling meaningful policies rather than saying I will spend 28b on green policies is better. If they commit to spending £28b, and don't spend it, I wouldn't trust a government (any, not particularly Labour) to not just blow the rest of shite to avoid criticism.  

1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

they commit to spending £28b, and don't spend it, I wouldn't trust a government (any, not particularly Labour) to not just blow the rest of shite to avoid criticism.  

Nah, if they came in under budget they’d be shouting it from the rooftops, especially when tories are painting you as fiscally irresponsible forever. Then you can bang on about how the savings are now being diverted to other necessities. It’s not like the old adage of seeing all the roadworks in February and March so the transport department of the council spend their budget so it won’t get cut if they come in under budget for the financial year. 

• Paid Members

Reservations about Labour and Starmer aside, assuming that what they're doing is playing their cards extremely close to their chest to avoid putting a foot wrong, I would be interested to know what they will do. 

I get that they've said they can't undo everything the Tories did as a simple point of praxis, but I would like to know what they're prioritising. They've got to say, at some point, that they will change something.

With the best will in the world, whilst I don't align with Labour currently at all, I do understand the difficulty facing the party in getting elected in this right-wing-orientated country. Throughout the near-century of Labour being a party of government, the Tories have had more than twice as many prime ministers, and have been in power nearly twice as long as Labour ever have - roughly over 61 years to Labour's roughly 32. We've seen a public and a media that will forgive ten times worse in the Tories what they won't in Labour. When the Tories get a new leader, they're treated like a brand-new party. When Labour gets a new leader, even one that is from a completely different wing, and even a different political field, from another, they still have to deal with being lumbered with the sins of the previous leaders (like when Corbyn and Milliband still had to deal with people blaming Labour for taking the working class for granted). They also have to deal with an electorate that is always more willing to take the Tories at their word, no matter how many times they prove themselves to be untrustworthy, but always question Labour's word on anything and everything. And, at all times, in the background, there's a media waiting to turn on them at any point, funded by Tories and right-wingers looking to prop up the status quo that made them and kept them so rich.

Against that backdrop, I can see why a Labour leader would choose to be really, really cagey. They can't afford to make a single mis-step. But there does come a point when it might be damaging to be too cagey.