The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

• Paid Members

Apparently he's a big wrestling fan, which should immediately disqualify anybody from standing for any kind of political position.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Apparently he's a big wrestling fan, which should immediately disqualify anybody from standing for any kind of political position.

If only someone told Bournemouth that rule 

• Paid Members

Looks like Houchen is going to win Tees Valley. Seems to have lost a lot of his large majority though which is promising. Still a nightmare though.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

The worst outcome for this for me is that Labour will probably take it as evidence that their strategy and political positions (or lack thereof) are working and will stay the current weak and pathetic course rather than the highly more likely reason for their success - people hate the Tories.

Edited by LaGoosh

30 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

The Tories war on the Disabled is gonna make me Vote Labour, They're the lesser of two very shit evils.

Labours priority is to get disabled people into work as well. Many in the disability community are petrified of both. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think there's a more profound political disappointment in my life than the complete failure of any party or anyone in the political class to take the crisis of the pandemic and use it to inform genuinely transformative politics a la the Beveridge Report being written during WW2 and forming the basis for the NHS and the welfare state. I honestly think that was our last best hope.

That, and Ramsay MacDonald in general, formed the basis of my father's general belief that Labour's true nature throughout its history is one of abject betrayal of the working class, frequently and almost without fail chickening out and choosing to manage the worst excesses of the system as it existed, rather than trying to enact significant, meaningful change. Thus far, I don't see much reason to disagree.

Just now, SuperBacon said:

And as I always maintain, there is a world of difference between "fit to work" and "ready to work"

Two completely separate things.

And of course it never takes chronic conditions into account. It’s all well and good saying part time work would be better, but a lot of disabled people don’t know how they will be on a daily basis. So it’s one thing saying I could probably work four hours a day for three days a week, but I have no idea when those days will be, or even if those hours will be consecutive. And what employer would make those adjustments for someone? Even zero hour contracts are based on when you’re needed, not when you are available. 

I read something that summed the whole thing up with “Reasonable adjustments for disabled people tend to be what is considered reasonable by the employer and not the employee”.

I begrudgingly voted Labour but the local candidate actually seems sound and is a bit of a student of Zarah Sultana, her first time standing and had the local youths behind her. How long before she's kicked out the party?

• Paid Members

Given what Labour did to Jamie Driscoll in the North-East mayoralty election, probably not long.