The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Did he say the average, I thought it was an example. Either way it’s a bit clutchy in the grand scheme of things

It’s clutchy to spin it as if he wasn’t wrong. It’s like when tories say crime has gone down but only if you don’t include the number one reported crime. Starmer fucked up here. 

Today was a struggle, for the first time since I've been able to vote, I nearly spoilt my ballot and not had my say. (Not that it means much.)

It's a Labour mafia round here, barely anyone else stands and I will never vote for the blues or the yellows in my life so I'm either shoring up the mafia or voting for an outsider with no chance.

Not even a leaflet from any candidates aside from Labour which were downright pathetic and scraping the barrel on their mandates. It was the bare basics of what you'd expect a local councillor to do and they've never even got close to that at any point I've been living here.

You only see or hear about them when there's a photo opportunity to gloat about everyone else's hard work that they shamelessly try and take credit for.

There's been zero improvement and everything has been sacrificed to pad their pockets and serve the local town.

I'm disgusted with myself that there's not much I can do in he grand scheme of things and no matter who holds the reigns, the foreseeable future is that of a horrible slope into a bigger shit pit we're already in.

Oh and I had some strawberry ice cream after I voted. Hope your area's fair better than what I have been served up.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

The average house price in the UK is £290k though, so he was way off even if Labour are trying to spin it as that’s what he was going for. 

I read at the weekend, average house price 330k, average wage just over 30k, so even if interest rates stayed relatively the same, a mortgage would still be around £1500pm even with the required deposit.

Now most private renters pay out between on average 40-60% of their salary on their rent so I'd really love to know how I could magically save and get that deposit needed whilst keeping a roof over my head.

This country needs an upheaval of the private rental sector, an incredible amount more of social/affordable housing to fix what is really a housing crisis which is only going to get worst. 

Still Keir did say local people will have "first dibs" so he's basically building a policy on the 'shotgun rule'

He's an absolute dickhead.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Still Keir did say local people will have "first dibs" so he's basically building a policy on the 'shotgun rule'

He's an absolute dickhead.

Not having that. I was in a shared ownership flat. We wanted to buy a house where we lived. Because our train station was confirmed as being part of Crossrail, house prices went up about 40% in 6 months due to people moving from inner London to the outskirts to save money. It’s a supply and demand issue. We got a house, and our offer was accepted, more than we had wanted but just in budget. The house survey said it was worth £40k less and the estate agent said someone will pay the asking price so either get the mortgage at the survey valuation and pay the difference or we’ll find someone else.

Eventually we gave up staying where we were and I had to move 20 miles away where the prices were more affordable. This also happened to places like Peckham when gentrification came in and priced out local residents. So saying local people should be given first dibs is important if you want to stay with friends/family nearby. 

• Paid Members

So lads, I've just got back from my first attendance at a vote count. We have verified the vote tonight. We just had to count the number of votes in the ballot boxes to make sure it matched the number that the polling clerks recorded as voting at each polling station. It was weird counting while all the candidates watched you count. It didn't take long as turnout was less than 30%

Perhaps it speaks to the level of antipathy in the voting public that the first thing I counted was the postal votes for 1 ward. The postal votes came in security sealed envelopes. There was one vote in the envelope and it had been spoiled. 

I highly recommend it. Free sweets and free drinks and all you have to do is count, and you get paid. Money for jam lads. 

• Paid Members

I know it sounds a bit Radbourne but we didn't get to know who won, we just made sure the actual ballots matched the amount cast. Bear in mind that in some wards they were voting for more than one councillor. On my ballot paper we got 3 votes to split between 7 candidates. How they count them I don't know.

I saw quite a lot of spoiled ballots, there were a few "None of the above" but my favourite was the one that simply said "Fuck all these cunts" which was fair they were all cunts. 

• Paid Members

Labour winning Stoke On Trent is absolutely massive for the local party. It's a very deprived city with horrendous poverty and an overwhelming sense of hopelessness. The people are very socially Conservative so this is a big swing and a testament to work they put in. 

When I worked for a Borough Council I worked in a polling station a couple of times. 

I also got paid for the day and on top of my normal pay but I wasn't allowed to tell anyone this (don't all run to The Guardian with this info all at once) and we got free tea and coffee (and cake but I didn't trust the look of it or the person that made it 😆)

I was there from 7am to about 11pm and it was bloody boring. 

• Paid Members

My council (South Gloucestershire) went from Conservative to No Overall Control after they lost 10 of their seats, which is a big surprise given most analysis was that it was 50-50 whether they'd lose the 3 seats needed to lose control.

And my ward went from three Conservative to two Conservative and one Labour. Not exactly a revolution, but I think it's the first time I've ever been somewhere where Tories have lost something.

Our ward had a surprise switch from Conservative to People's Independent Party, a small group of financiers and business owners who ran on the sole pledge of protecting the local Green Belt from development. The wife stated "Rather grey than Red", which I expect to be many's attitudes at the moment.

Edited by CavemanLynn

43 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Labour winning Stoke On Trent is absolutely massive for the local party. It's a very deprived city with horrendous poverty and an overwhelming sense of hopelessness. The people are very socially Conservative so this is a big swing and a testament to work they put in. 

I think Gullis knows his gig is up anyway, but this is bound to seal it. I’m sure he’ll ramp up the cuntishness in his remaining time to get that Talk TV / GB News gig he cravenly desires 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think Gullis knows his gig is up anyway, but this is bound to seal it. I’m sure he’ll ramp up the cuntishness in his remaining time to get that Talk TV / GB News gig he cravenly desires 

I hope so. I've not done any doorstepping for this but my old dear has been very active and the feedback from the people has been quite interesting. Usually local council elections are driven by 'dogshit & bin collections' but most people want to talk about national matters rather than local.

My biggest fear is that these results will see the Tories go absolutely all in on culture war bollocks. I read something the other week basically saying that if Starmer can't satisfactorily describe what a woman is they're fucked. Based on the (albeit anecdotal) feedback I've heard I'm inclined to agree. Folks are swayed more by feels than facts. 

• Paid Members

On a wrestling related note, if you've read the Simon Garfield book The Wrestling there is mention of a wrestler called Dale "The Model" Preston who gets told to "Fuck Off back to Lincolnshire". He is now and independent councillor in Boston having won last night. 

Looks like it's been a good night for Labour, reversing the disappointment of 2019 where they actually LOST seats.  I voted Labour but will probably end up with Lib Dem which is fine given my area.  Starmer's ruthless concentration on making Labour electable again has paid off.  Win the general election, THEN win the argument.  Imagine that!

🌹💪

Edited by Loki