The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

51 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It turns out there IS a hierarchy of racism after all. 

I read it as white people can’t experience racism?  

I mean, that’s a charitable reading and even  that is deeply racist.  

53 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

How so?

How so what?  Do you think her letter wasn’t racist?  Or do you think it was antisemitic but not racist? Or are you asking why I think it’s a charitable interpretation?

If it’s the latter, all her examples of “proper” racism were of black Africans being oppressed.  So it’s fairly explicitly, to me, framing racism as a Black issue.

Suggesting that Jewish people haven’t experienced proper racism is nuts, presumably she thinks that as they were herded into cattle trucks to Dachau all those Holocaust victims were thinking “at least we don’t have to sit at the back”.

Edited by Loki

1 minute ago, Loki said:

How so what?  Do you think her letter wasn’t racist?  Or do you think it was antisemitic but not racist? Or…?

She said white people can’t experience racism like black people do. I’m asking why you think that’s racist. 

Just now, Loki said:

Because it is denying the experience of racism of Jews, gypsies and others throughout history BECAUSE OF THE COLOUR OF THEIR SKIN.  

It isn’t denying it at all, it’s saying it’s different, because it is. Have you read the article she was responding to? It was about how so many more white people say they’ve been racially abused than black people because they conflate racism and prejudice. 

She was wrong not to mention the enslavement of Romani people when referencing slavery but in this country at least, white people aren’t victims of racism, they’re victims of discrimination. 

I like you KeithHouchen, so we’ll have to agree to disagree because I think it’s fairly self evident that her letter is racist and have explained why.  She’s  saying antisemitism isn’t racism.  Maybe she didn’t mean to say it, but that’s what she IS saying.  She’s landed two feet first into a complex issue with an attempt to spit hairs in a way that is deeply offensive, and in the eyes of many, itself racist.

Edit: removed shoot name, sorry Keith!

Edited by Loki

She’s saying white people don’t experience racism in the same way as black people. And she’s right. Jews, Irish, and GRTs don’t get disproportionately stopped and searched for instance. 

You can tell someone is black (or not white to be more accurate) by sight. The same can’t be said about Jews or GRTs. You can with us lot though, granted, because of our green suits and pigs under our arms. Which is a lovely turn around from the 70s West Midlands where pigs carried Irishmen under their arms. 

Pretty much everyone kicking off over her badly worded letter in reply to a badly written article are white people who never read the original article. As is forever thus, the implication you might be a bit racist, usually subconsciously, is treated worse than the actual racism. 

I can’t speak for these other people kicking off, but for myself - if she had said what you explained there I’d have had no issue with it.  But I don’t think she came close to saying that unfortunately, and I’m judging her purely on the words she actually decided to send into a major national paper.  

1 minute ago, Loki said:

I can’t speak for these other people kicking off, but for myself - if she had said what you explained there I’d have had no issue with it.  But I don’t think she came close to saying that unfortunately, and I’m judging her purely on the words she actually decided to send into a major national paper.  

And her apology for her own words of course. It was terribly written and not clear as to what she was replying to. But I do agree with her point. 

My white mate was racially abused in China. He was in a rural area and a bunch of kids ran up to him and held their eyes open as wide as possible in a reverse “Slitty Eye”. Beautiful stuff. 

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

My white mate was racially abused in China. He was in a rural area and a bunch of kids ran up to him and held their eyes open as wide as possible in a reverse “Slitty Eye”. Beautiful stuff. 

Gapey eyes?

I bet The Observer were cockahoop at being able to print that letter today. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

My white mate was racially abused in China. He was in a rural area and a bunch of kids ran up to him and held their eyes open as wide as possible in a reverse “Slitty Eye"