The General Politics Thread v2.0 (AKA the "Labour are Cunts" thread)

David

26 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I hope so. I've not done any doorstepping for this but my old dear has been very active and the feedback from the people has been quite interesting. Usually local council elections are driven by 'dogshit & bin collections' but most people want to talk about national matters rather than local.

My biggest fear is that these results will see the Tories go absolutely all in on culture war bollocks. I read something the other week basically saying that if Starmer can't satisfactorily describe what a woman is they're fucked. Based on the (albeit anecdotal) feedback I've heard I'm inclined to agree. Folks are swayed more by feels than facts. 

Yep, think you’re right 

41 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Let's reserve judgement until after an actual general election. 

Yes, after something is generally when judgment is made.  Imagining something, often beforehand. :)   Still, a lot of people now under a Labour council, progress.

In other news, I am SHOCKED that the rushed-in Voter ID has proved problematic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65492275

I reckon this will ultimately have backfired on the Tories, as their elderly voters are less likely to come back a second time with correct ID.

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Yes, after something is generally when judgment is made.  Imagining something, often beforehand. :)   Still, a lot of people now under a Labour council, progress.

Thanks for the lesson on how judgements are made!!! :)

I was referring to your "Starmer's ruthless concentration on making Labour electable again has paid off." comment as whilst this does bode well for Labour and it is progress, I'm not sure it's completely down to Starmer to be honest. Just my opinion.

• Paid Members

Yeah, some of it has to be related to people being dissatisfied with the Tories as well. As has been mentioned earlier, the Tories will just lean further into the gender identity politics things and keep on talking about the perils of woke communism under Starmer's labour party.

Yeah, it’s clearly more a case of the tories becoming unvotable than labour winning them over. At the time of writing, the ones hoovering up the Tory vote are Lib Dem. Labour seem to be attracting former UKIP votes as well. 

But as a good faith question, what would you credit Starmer with in terms of making Labour electable as opposed to those voters just being fed up with tories being abject pathetic? What policies and actions introduced by Starmer would you say won people over?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, it’s clearly more a case of the tories becoming unvotable than labour winning them over. At the time of writing, the ones hoovering up the Tory vote are Lib Dem. Labour seem to be attracting former UKIP votes as well. 

But as a good faith question, what would you credit Starmer with in terms of making Labour electable as opposed to those voters just being fed up with tories being abject pathetic? What policies and actions introduced by Starmer would you say won people over?

Not being Comrade Corbyn for most of them I reckon

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Not being Comrade Corbyn for most of them I reckon

Exactly this. Again, anecdotal but people on the doorstep are completely apathetic towards Starmer. They fucking hated Corbyn though so it's a huge improvement in that sense. 

Edit: Apart from the 'he can't even explain what a woman is' folk.

Edited by Dead Mike

1 minute ago, Dead Mike said:

Exactly this. Again, anecdotal but people on the doorstep are completely apathetic towards Starmer. They fucking hated Corbyn though so it's a huge improvement in that sense. 

So none of the policies he's pledged/introduced/mooted have made any difference? People aren't buying into him or what he promises? Would you say that's accurate?

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

So none of the policies he's pledged/introduced/mooted have made any difference? People aren't buying into him or what he promises? Would you say that's accurate?

Again, based on the feedback I've heard from around Stoke people don't have a strong opinion on him. They think he's boring but clever and seems more competent and less 'loony'. They agree with him on windfall taxes on energy firms rather than using public money.

The biggest issues raised were 'small boats' & cost of living. Very few people willing to admit who they voted for previously too which I found quite telling.

Edited by Dead Mike

5 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

They think he's boring but clever

Oh how I yearn for the days when this was the norm for politicians, before personality became the most important part!

I think after the local elections have settled, we are going to see Starmer stop getting such an easy ride from the press and his many lies and backtracking get (rightly) highlighted. For Labours sake, I hope they manage to brief their front bench how to deal with the slightest pushback, because the likes of Rachel Reeves are abysmal and flounder at the slightest scrutiny. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

You could argue that getting back to zero from a negative position is an improvement, if he's not going to make people actively make the effort to vote against him.