MJF is suffering from the same problem they had with Page and Baker; Brilliant chase then losing all direction once they get the actual belt.

And much like Baker, he's a heel who is incredibly over (always a contradiction) so people want to see him but then get annoyed when he doesn't do something cool.

I see this title run ending with an awkward face turn that will already be locking the gate after the horse has bolted.

Somebody probably has the facts to prove me wrong, but it feels like MJF is suffering from something AEW does where there's the big chase for the title, then both winner and loser move onto something totally different just because. The WWE automatic rematch clause was a trope, but at least it meant that there was a solid angle for the champ's next (or first) defence. Then again, MJF certainly wasn't helped by the Regal weirdness. Dastardly MJF swerves everyone and wins the belt off a betrayed Mox, but then Mox goes after Hangman? MJF walks around with exactly the same presentation, chatting shit while he waits for a new challenger? This might've worked if MJF had the Pinnacle around, because at least then you've got the Horsemen vignettes of riding round in private jets and custom suits, at least seeming to be living the champion life. As it is, nothing has changed, no one that was wronged seems to care, and so there's zero heat around the supposedly biggest belt in the company.

3 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

I thought Darby v. Buddy might lead to some interaction between the ongoing Eddie/HoB nonsense. Instead it was just there. I'm sure Buddy was happy to get some TV for a change, but it could have been literally anyone else.

Might have been planned when announced, but Eddie has cancelled being at OTT Saturday due to a personal situation so probably not at TV last night 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Louch said:

Might have been planned when announced, but Eddie has cancelled being at OTT Saturday due to a personal situation so probably not at TV last night 

I'm assuming the personal situation is Jay Briscoe's funeral on Sunday.

1 hour ago, theringmaster said:

MJF is suffering from the same problem they had with Page and Baker; Brilliant chase then losing all direction once they get the actual belt.

It's a perennial issue in pro wrestling.  Some characters work chasing belts, some work holding belts.  It's why Flair was champion in NWA for so long - he was the perfect foil for babyfaces to chase.  Whereas a long Dusty Rhodes championship run gave them less options.

Moxley makes a great champ, he has a broad enough personality that people can bounce off it.  But so far MJF just doesn't have that HHH reign of terror thing where his presence absolutely demands he be beaten.  And Danielson is, I agree with whoever said it above, just quite boring.  

In your first champ run, you need really good fit challengers - MJF needs better challengers at the start of his basically.

2 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Was there a brilliant chase, though? The storyline with Moxley was pretty weak. 

MJF tends to be at his best when there's a bit of nuance to his character. I'd heard people like Wade Keller criticise that approach, but I strongly disagree with that. The nuance set MJF apart; and made him so fucking compelling. The version of the character we see right now just doesn't ring true to how anyone would behave in real life, and if he were entertaining enough that wouldn't be a problem. But he's not. At best, he's just another loudmouth heel - a version of something we've seen many times over the years. At his worst, he's a wrestling Katie Hopkins - coming out with stupidly controversial things to get attention; always at risk of going too far, and unable to do so in a way that feels anything other than uncomfortable to watch. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

I never thought I'd say this, but Bryan Danielson should never have left WWE. He was a standout in WWE by being unique, in a sea of Sports Entertainers, he was a wrestler. In AEW, hes just another guy who can have good matches with little personality. I honestly thought when they signed him, he was going to be a gamechanger, but alas, here we are saying he shouldn't be champ. 

Shame. 

• Paid Members

Weird show, with plenty of technical hiccups and out-of-place WWE style booking. I imagine that's due to other outside factors. Certainly not a bad show any means, but it felt more like show designed to keep things ticking over instead of progressing anything in a major way (with the exception of BD's shoulder injury).

And I completely understand why, considering the tragic nature and stubbornness of the past two weeks.

Briscoe vs Lethal was great, as was the post-match and pre-match. One that I'll not be forgetting anytime soon. Really special.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Can someone please remind me why we’ve gone straight to Iron Man rules for Danielson v MJF?

Because Khan translated from the original Mongol to English means Stark. 

My knowledge of Asian languages is beyond reproach btw. 

Its mad seeing how much of a non star Bryan is in AEW. Maybe he's happy enough just plodding along, but he can be so much more either as the plucky face or smug eco warrior heel. You could have vignettes of him throwing paint on things/people and blocking traffic and all that topical lark these days too. But nah, just another wrestler in a promotion filled with dullard wrestlers. Such a waste of his final active years and shows what a schlub Khan is for letting him get away with it while presumably paying out a big money deal.