18 minutes ago, gmoney said:

He didn't though, did he.

Have you forgotten how it ended?  Him slagging off all their younger stars, then getting stripped of his title whilst also getting 3 of their other top stars suspended for months, and ruining all their long term plans?

He had a couple of good matches but the shoot promo got old fast, and his particular form of locker room cancer was palpable in the attitudes of the other wrestlers.

He embarrassed the brand and tainted what remained of his legacy.  Good riddance to Pip Brooks, I will be happy to never see him again.

Nobody will ever wrestle for you like I did, babes.  Remember the good  times?

Edited by Loki

55 minutes ago, Loki said:

whilst also getting 3 of their other top stars suspended for months

Nah, they did that all by themselves. I only hit you because you goaded me into it babes, so don’t goad me and it’ll be magic again babes. 

Britt is out with an injury apparently. It's now Soho v. Storm.

It's feeling like a meh kind of show to me. Mark Briscoe v. Jay Lethal for the emotion in it being the draw.

The rest is kinda tired. MJF's PPV opponent running through random challengers been done so many times. Jericho's latest feud being dragged out, not helped by Andretti failing on the mic side of things. A Matt Hardy tag match. Darby in an obvious TNT title defense.

8 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Now do they book Dr Shelby for the Ass Boys and The Acclaimed bit?

Jeremy Kyle voice on 'Let's bring out Graham'

Having read the reviews it seems the main event was a really memorable match for many reasons but the ending was even better.

That was a strange show. I'd love for someone to go back and total up the number of minutes given to Excalibur telling people what was "coming up" (either on the night, future Dynamites or Rampage) compared to the amount of time given to talking segments on that show, as it felt pretty even, which isn't a good thing. 

There was far too much wrestling on that show, and very little in the way of storyline progression. It was disappointing to not even have one in-ring promo segment. 

I'm also extremely curious as to how many fans have a clue about what's happening with Ethan Page and Matt Hardy, as I certainly don't. I don't know when it started, what their relationship is, what Private Party's role in the whole thing is...if a story hasn't developed on Dynamite, it shouldn't get air time on Dynamite. 

Almost everything about this show felt flat. And I'll say it now, because I think - if things don't change drastically - this will be said a lot in the coming year: MJF isn't doing a particularly good job as champion. He feels like he's regressed as a character, and he just doesn't "feel" like a champion. 

Once again, they were picking up a lot of individual heckles from the fans - they need to do something about that, it's bloody annoying. 

The tribute video to Jay Briscoe was nicely done. It was also nice to see Mark Briscoe get the opportunity to pay tribute to his brother in this way. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

I've only seen the first two matches so far, will watch the rest later.

- Action Andretti is not going to work as they are currently presenting him. He feels like a guy who would turn up for a few weeks in the early days of the X-Division then you'd never hear of him ever again. He's very unlikeable and on a roster this stacked with so many guys not getting TV time it definitely shouldn't be wasted on him. Him being associated with Ricky Starks is damaging Starks.

- Le Sex Gods are a great team and Garcia is great with them. A Sex Gods feud with The Acclaimed would be magic (imagine the raps on Jericho from Caster, good lord) and they would probably be good Trios Champions too. Jericho/Guevara/Garcia vs Death Triangle would be a very interesting feud that I'd like to see.

- In the first half hour of the show they showed the upcoming matches THREE times. At one point they showed the upcoming matches, Buddy Matthews came out, he then waited in the ring while they showed the upcoming matches again. What the fuck? Stop slowing the show down and pack in as much shit as you can! Give 60 seconds to Danhausen, the Dark Order or Jeff Jarrett and they'll give you 60 seconds of gold. I don't need to know what's coming next constantly.

- Buddy Matthews is the perfect CAW. He's an amazing specimen, can do any move possible and execute it spot on. But there is just absolutely nothing to this guy. There is nothing he does either in ring or character wise that is remotely unique to him or original in any way. Even in a singles match you pretty much forget he's there. Darby on the other hand, desperately scrapping, clawing, selling and fighting his way to victory - he gets it. Can't wait for Joe/Darby 3. I'm guessing that we get a Wardlow return. They should re-run the fantastic Joe/Wardlow/Hobbs match from the last PPV but add Darby to it as a four way for the TNT title. That'd be an incredible match.

Will watch the rest later. Can't say I'm too excited about it, second week in a row where it feels like a bunch of exhibition matches. This show desperately needs some stories and some chaosRevolution is 5 weeks away and except for MJF/Danielson I can't really predict a single other match on the card. This is not a good thing.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Whilst it wasn't an awful episode, it did feel like filler and there appeared to be production issues because you could hear Excalibur start to say something then stop, then start saying something else on multiple occasions.

The main event though. Fair play to Mark going out and doing that just 8 days after losing his brother. You could see how much it meant to Lethal and Mark (even Sanjay looked upset when he walked out on stage. Classy to have the locker room come out after as well. Thought it was handled really well and it is something you hate to see, but appreciate the respect it is handled with.

• Paid Members

Given the relatively hot streak they’ve been on, I’d have usually described this show as a nosedive. Flat, understated, exhibition-style show, with hardly any energy or excitement. Just a bunch of fine and okay stuff happening.

None of it mattered by the time that main event rolled around though. What a beautiful, emotional, classy bit of TV. Mark holding both belts, Lethal sobbing before the bell had even rung, Mark being the one who kept the whole thing together, that really touching moment when he spoke down the camera afterwards. Just fucking great. Say whatever you want about Tony Khan but he handles these awful situations like a hero.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

AEW has been around for four years, and Tony Khan's version of Ring of Honor for one year, and he's had to deal with the deaths of two men on his active roster. I can forgive so much that AEW get wrong for how well they have been able to navigate these situations.

One thing I'll add is that the family therapy segment was a massive disappointment. It was a two-way sitdown interview, the "therapist" even introduced them as if that's exactly what it was...if you're going to brand something as "family therapy", go all in on it. Hire "Dr Shelby" if he's available. Have it take place in a setting that looks like it might actually be a therapist's office. Take inspiration from the Team Hell No segments in terms of how it's handled - it's been around a decade since those aired, I think it's fine to do that now. All of the wrestlers involved in that segment are perfectly capable of something better than what this ended up being. 

Main Event is what that show will be remembered for and rightly. Fair play to both, but Mark being able to pull that off was great. Very well done.

I agree with someone about MJF. Since becoming champion all the nuance has gone from the character, It really felt they were doing something interesting with him and now he's back to annoying edge lord.