18 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They should've catered to him better though. He was always seen as a major star way before Punk. Phil didn't make MJF.

They should've tried to continue the whole Sympathy for the Devil/holding Tony to ransom/worked shoot thing, so that all the build from last year still felt like it meant something. Rather than memory holing a year's worth of character development, presumably because they didn't want to evoke any memory of Punk while that whole situation was still legally dicey.

As far as his current character goes, MJF might as well have been off TV for the last year and returned the week after All Out to challenge Moxley. Now that I think about it, it reminds me of how the WWF fucked Austin's character once the InVasion ended in 2001. Having him inexplicably come out as a babyface to help Flair against Vince and Angle and just... never mention his heel run ever again (in canon). I always maintain that fucked Austin's post-2001 character worse than the actual heel turn at Mania X7, ill-advised though that proved to be. I really hope MJF's enforced reset doesn't hamper him the same way. He really should be among the top guys of his generation.

• Paid Members

That DAZN news for AEW in Europe. That'll mean no Fite or ITV right? Or is it just mainland Europe? I'm not sure the exact cost of a DAZN subscription, but I would guess it's a decent chunk more than the cost of AEW+ on Fite. 

1 minute ago, WeeAl said:

That DAZN news for AEW in Europe. That'll mean no Fite or ITV right? Or is it just mainland Europe? I'm not sure the exact cost of a DAZN subscription, but I would guess it's a decent chunk more than the cost of AEW+ on Fite. 

There is a list of countries at the bottom of the info, UK isn’t there so nothing changes 

29 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

DAZN deal is only for specific markets. UK isn't involved. Off the top of my head the likes of Germany was missing as they've got a deal with WWE that's exclusive shutting out other wrestling promotions. 

It was a fairly minor thing in the grand scheme of things. Getting guaranteed money over whatever they were cobbling together on FITE in those markets. 

Anyone able to give me an abridged version of what's been going on in AEW to catch up to speed? Is it a worthwhile product to be watching?

Part of me has been put off AEW with the forced vibe of its the alternative to WWE and TK pushing it like look what we are doing. 

Willing to give things a chance. 

30 minutes ago, ScottishSiren said:

Anyone able to give me an abridged version of what's been going on in AEW to catch up to speed? Is it a worthwhile product to be watching?

Part of me has been put off AEW with the forced vibe of its the alternative to WWE and TK pushing it like look what we are doing. 

I would honestly recommend you watch this show from earlier this month 11/1/23 than read a description.

Whilst not perfect you will see alot of what AEW can do at their best. And it is a great introduction to alot their big players. Some of the matches are exceptional for a weekly TV show. If you like it then just catchup on the last few weeks Dynamites. AEW has found its feet again recently after a spotty 2022.9C104219-9750-4944-BCA8-201AD02AB189.jpeg

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, ScottishSiren said:

Other people will give different answers but I personally look at AEW's current "season" as being from the CM Punk stuff onwards, so I'll start there and bullet point it to make it less of a wall of text. I'll only cover the current champions too as there's a lot to cover.

1. CM Punk became AEW champion back in September, beating Jon Moxley (formerley Dean Ambrose). Unfortunately not only was Punk injured in the match but chose the post-PPV media scrum to shoot bury Colt Cabana, Hangman Page, Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks. This then lead to a confrontation backstage between them and others leading to Punk, Bucks and Kenny being suspended. Kenny and The Bucks returned in November but there is doubt Punk will ever come back.

2. Due to the suspension, both the Trios Championships which The Elite held and the AEW World Championship which Punk held were both vacated. New champions were crowned in The Death Triangle (Pac, Penta El Zero and Rey Fenix) and Jon Moxley, respectively. Upon their return to the company The Elite had a Best of 7 Series with The Death Triangle which The Elite eventually won, regaining their belts. Jon Moxley dropped the belt to Maxwell Jacob Friedman (MJF) at Full Gear in November.
MJF is the biggest heel they have, a gobshite edgelord who is a cracking promo and pretty great in-ring too but has lost a bit of steam since winning the big one.

3. MJF is currently feuding with Bryan Danielson in a gimmick where Danielson wants an Iron Man Match but will only get his shot if he can remain undefeated until the match. Because he's seemingly stupid or in some cases because MJF has paid them, Danielson is using this opportunity to fight some big opponents like Konosuke Takeshita and Brian Cage rather than jobbers.

4. Jon Moxley moved into a feud with Hangman Adam Page, the company's top babyface, where Mox legit knocked him out and he was on the shelf for weeks. Hangman returned a couple of weeks ago and kayfabe knocked Mox out in the revenge match and the feud is continuing so far via backstage interviews between Hangman and Mox's wife, the former Renee Young.

5. They have two women's champions. Jade Cargill, a heel who is on a 49-0 streak and while green has a fantastic look and aura. The other is Jamie Hayter who broke free of the shadows of being a henchman for Dr Britt Baker and became a huge babyface and one of the better women on the roster. She became interim champion when the belt was vacated by Thunder Rosa but they made her actual champion when the timeline for Rosa coming back was in the air.

6. The Acclaimed are the Tag Champs, a super super super over tag team consisting of Max Caster and Anthony Bowens, who along with "Daddy Ass" Billy Gunn are arguably the most over act in the company. It's not a direct comparison but think of if Thuganomics John Cena was funny and in the New Age Outlaws and it's kinda that. Caster does raps before the match and the three of them scissor each other. It's great.

7. Secondary belts in the TNT Title and the All-Atlantic Title are held by Darby Allin and Orange Cassidy respectively. Darby is a fantastic daredevil wrestler who hurls himself around like prime Jeff Hardy and teams with Sting. He's feuding with Samoa Joe currently and their chemistry is fab.
Orange Cassidy is a comedy wrestler who knocks about with Danhausen and The Best Friends, also to an extent comedy wrestlers. Cassidy is another really over wrestler who can go when he wants to but for the most part wrestles a gimmick of being lazy and not bothered.

Here are some videos of some of the bigger moments to catch you up to speed with more context:

Mox v. Hangman and Darby v. Joe are probably going to grab a lot of the attention tonight. More interested to see how Jade v. Red Velvet plays out. The break up of the Baddies has been about as poor as it started with Red Velvet & Kiera Hogan randomly in the crowd with no explanation. Jade needs a change, but Red Velvet doesn't feel like she's got any momentum behind her.

• Paid Members

The only reason I can think of for Red Velvet being Jade's milestone 50th match is that she was Jade's first opponent, so it's a 'full-circle' type scenario. As other than that, it's a really odd choice. Hopefully they give her more to sink her teeth into for match 51 and beyond.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

The only thing to add to FLips post above is that William Regal screwed Jon Moxley in the title match and MJF got the win. 

Shortly after MJF smacked Regal in the back of the head with a knuckle duster and 'knocked him out'. Danielson has been after MJF since and Regal left AEW to go back to WWE. 

Another show where there was just too much wrestling. I need more story than I'm getting from AEW, and less in the way of matches I just don't care about. I like Takeshita, but as soon as I saw he was facing Brian Cage, I hit the fast-forward button and I still felt bored. Same goes for the never-ending feud between Jade Cargill and The Baddies. I'm not entirely sure why it's happening, but I'm entirely sure that I wouldn't care, even if I remembered. The build-up has been weak. 

Also, Max Caster using "I bet you have sex with each other" as an insult to two men in 2023? That's a bit disappointing to hear. If the joke was based around the fact they are brothers - and I don't know that it is, or that they are - this was never made clear, so it just came across as a really dated thing to say. 

It's also very frustrating to see the TNT title passed around again. I was fine with them putting the belt on Darby, as I assumed the intention was to give him a long run with the belt. When it was first launched, AEW did a tremendous job of making this title seem important. It now feels utterly irrelevant, and it's a real shame. Samoa Joe didn't need to win the belt to resume his feud with Wardlow. He could have lost, due to interference from Wardlow if they really wanted, and that feud could still have happened. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the title ends up on Wardlow again given how often they're passing it around, but it seems like the plan is (based on the promo earlier in the show) to put a singles title on Jack Perry this year. For me, it would have been far more interesting to build up Darby as champion and Jungle Boy as a singles star, before eventually having the two pillars face off for the title. 

I hope AEW picks up again in the run-up to the next PPV, but for me, it's a very cold product right now. 

Enjoyed hangman finding his bastard streak against Moxley, doesn’t feel put on as he’s in character tried to do before. 

rest of the show was a bit “it happened“ bar the end, fuck me why did Wardlow have the rat tail for years when he looks like that with a decent trim. Stupid sexier Wardlow