• Paid Members

Fucking hell, the takes about Danielson on here are making my head throb.

Could he be booked stronger? Use a better theme song? Not spend a load of time in 2022 wasting around with Chris Jericho? Yes. 

But he's still one of the best pro wrestlers in the world (even THE best wrestler in the world in many respected opinions) in a rivalry with the world champion where he gets to wrestle top quality opponents every fucking week and now we've jumped a gear where he's pissed off, fired up and delivering great promos. What's not to like?

Yeah he's not the WWE Daniel Bryan doing the YES chant while Michael Cole makes goat jokes, and he not's a "HAHAHAHAHA I AM A MANICIAL HEEL" vegan eco warrior, because now he gets to be more than all that (although he would happily go back to doing that in WWE, no questions asked).

I get the feeling that a lot of people wrote Danielson off in the 00's and early 2010's as just some tiny vanilla indie wrestler with no personality, despite all the video footage captured in that time proving him to be the exact opposite (we'll refer to these people as "Liars"). Then he got the big push in WWE and those exact same people were well behind him because "Ah y'see it's the WWE system that makes him great, he was still crap elsewhere!".

Now he's fucked off elsewhere and he's doing his own thing (which can be a bit irritating at times, but hey, it's Bryan fucking Danielson) and he's cutting great promos about kicking ass and he has a crowd connection without resorting to WWE tropes, and Excalibur isn't screaming "FLYING GOAT!!!!!" like a massive bellend, and so now it's back to being shite and vanilla and all that guff.

Ah, the internet. It can kiss my arse.

Edited by Accident Prone

He also lost years of his prime being told he would never wrestle again. We as fans thought he was done. So this run is really just a bonus. 

If his final years are just to potter about the AEW upper midcard having bangers like the one with Takeshita a few weeks back I'm happy and I hope he is healthy and happy too.

• Paid Members

I think it speaks to how much we take for granted these days that Danielson can have those fucking belters with Takeshita and Bandido and then a week later people are talking about how he should have stayed in WWE, where he did approximately fuck all for years on end.

6 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

If his final years are just to potter about the AEW upper midcard having bangers like the one with Takeshita a few weeks back I'm happy and I hope he is healthy and happy too.

Exactly. If anyone has earned a nice payday before retirement, where he is allowed to do as he wishes, it’s him, and good luck to him. 

I like big shiny, dumb fucking wrestling so Danielson definitely looked and felt a bigger star in WWE to me even when he was on the back-burner. The surprise of how glorious he could actually be with all the big entertainment machine bells and whistles on him was part of the ride for me. 

I'm happy for him and this is how he should be playing out the rest of his career, but it's not a strange take at all.

12 hours ago, mim731 said:

Just be grateful no-one is predicting he'll murder his family this year. 

Na he’s gotten too lazy for that, probably just bore them to death with his matches 

MJF is floundering a bit, but its largely because they spent a year getting their ducks in a row for MJF to take the title off Punk in a generational torch passing thing that played off both their characters and mutual history. And then Punk fucked everything up.

So now there's no continuity between MJF as champ and all the great character development he did last year. In stead he beat a guy he had very little history/chemistry with after a short build and he's trying (but so far failing) to make the most of it.