Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

This one hurts. His TV work rightly stands out but he was such a terrific character actor in films as well. But I love the way in Brooklyn Nine-Nine you could feel the entire show gravitating towards him as it went on, which was part of its enduring warmth and appeal. You just felt like he meant everything to everyone who worked on it.

• Paid Members

He was great in Brooklyn 99, and fantastic opposite Hugh Laurie in House as well. If anything gives me reason to watch Brooklyn 99 again it's this. Terrible loss. 

In a weird coincidence I was watching 99 on E4 this morning before work when I saw the news pop up on Facebook, a split second before a scene came on involving Holt. 

I can’t say I was a massive fan of the show but I did enjoy it anytime I came across is and the Holt character was a big part of that for how deadpan funny his dialogue was

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Daddymagic said:

There was a portrait yesterday morning on  Twitter that someone does every year of celeb deaths. And Andre Brauger was on it. So I googled him, still alive.

imagine my shock this morning when he had died. 

I now can't find the tweet or picture but very very strange! 

They don’t all look the same you know.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

It feels like we are losing all of the legends of classic era 2000AD.

Ian Gibson aged 77.

It's absolutely gutting how many of my favourite comic creators have died in the last few years. I loved Gibson's run on Mister Miracle. R.I.P

Someone protect Brian Bolland

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

On 12/14/2023 at 1:39 PM, Just Some Guy said:

It feels like we are losing all of the legends of classic era 2000AD.

Ian Gibson aged 77.

He posted a goodbye on Facebook a couple of days ago, it was really sad.  He's been ill for a while it seems.  Absolutely one of the artists who defined how MegaCity, and therefore my vision of the future, looked (alongside Carlos Ezquerra).   I probably spent more time in his created worlds than I did in my own as a teenager.

• Paid Members

Kenpachiro Satsuma, who was the suit actor that played Godzilla during the Heisei era (1984-1995), as well as playing Hedorah and Gigan in some of the Showa era movies, has passed away at the age of 76. The Heisei era was less light hearted than the Showa era, but not as grimdark as the Millenium era, it also had a proper continuity. Godzilla Vs Biollante is recommended, and Godzilla Vs Destoroyah is pretty brutal. He also played Pulgasari in the North Korean kaiju movie Pulgasari.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

https://www.tmz.com/2023/12/18/max-payne-star-james-mccaffrey-dead-dies-cancer/

Fuck. One of the most iconic voices in gaming. There aren't many media properties that I love that I wouldn't like to see return, but his portrayal of Max in 3 was so perfect that I couldn't bear seeing the character go through more shit again. Was looking forward to hearing him kind of reprise the role in Alan Wake 2, it's going to be sad now. I'm not overly familiar with his normal acting career but I liked him (and nearly everyone else involved) in Rescue Me. RIP.