RIP Don West

BomberPat

A spirit of pure joy in a cynical business. You never got the feeling he was there to get himself over or cultivate an image, he just wanted the audience to have as much fun as he could help the show generate, and held nothing back in doing so. Pro wrestling is and will forever be poorer without him.

One of my favourite moments is Kurt Angle's debut and Don is solo on commentary.  He says something like 'and his debut arrives' and there is just something about the way he says it that is absolute magic and really adds to the moment.

I'm surprised Tenay and West have never been added to the Impact Hall of Fame.  It should not be underestimated how much they made TNA enjoyable.

RIP

It's amazing how simple wrestling is. Want a good announcer? Hire an actor. Want a good colour commentator? Hire a salesman. 

Don West was probably one of the top workers they had. And he had the right tone for TNA. He wasn't polished but he was enthusiastic. He might have been involved in corny and crap moments (Tenay and West celebrating Kurt Angle signing or whatever it was, can only remember the act now and not the reason) but he was passionate. That was TNA's image (ahem) at the time. There was corny crap but there was a sense of enthusiasm and fans passionate enough to overlook the bollocks. When Taz came along they lost the enthusiastic cheerleader working hard to convince you that what you were seeing was something worth investing in. 

He probably made more money for that company than half of the big names they brought in.

• Paid Members

It's crazy that he's exactly what Vince was trying to create for years; someone from outside the wrestling world who they could mould into a commentator, but it was TNA who struck gold with him. He's 100% what they wanted Mike Adamle to be but I doubt they would have given him a second look because he wasn't cosmetically what Vince wanted on his show (much like Tenay) 

Just think how many commentators WWE has had on TV for years that still can't sell an angle as well as West did after 6 months in an industry he had no background in. 

• Paid Members

Agreed with all the above, plus I would like to add: not many people remember it, because it was such a brief run, but his stint as Amazing Red's agent was really quite good - he made Red interesting for the first time in years. Not the smallest of feats when you also consider how rare face managers are, and how difficult it is to pull it off.

RIP Don West.

• Paid Members

Tenay & West were a fantastic commentary team back in the day. Tenay's knowledge and West's enthusiasm made it all worth watching. I think it was because DW was seeing a lot of the stuff for the first time, and was genuinely blown away by what he'd seen. Taz was better than he'd been in WWE, but as other have said he wasn't a patch on Don. He'll be sadly missed. Thank you, Don. 

Good to see mention of his stuff with Amazing Red. Has he done that more often he could have been one of the great babyface managers. The formula was easy. High flyer who isn't great at talking with a charismatic talker. 

His heel commentary was fun. Don calling Mick Foley vs the Rocky Balboa cutout is one of the best heel commentaries you'll hear

Part of me whats to watch the tribute TNA put up on Slammiversary again but its been a meh Christmas so it might break me 😢