RIP Don West

BomberPat

• Paid Members

That's a sin, his unabashed enthusiasm for everything made everything seem more fun when I watched TNA back in the day. Seemed a lovely guy. Oddly, I was actually watching a clip of him this morning from a match where he coined the name of AJ Style's move the Pele (which somehow until today it had never clicked with me that it wasn't called the "paylay"! I hadn't watched footage with Don West for years now on account of stopping watching wrestling then I see that clip and hours later read this. 

RIP Don, he will be fondly remembered by anyone who watched those early TNA days I'm sure. 

• Paid Members

Fuck, that's a gut punch. Don West was just the most likeable guy, his enthusiasm was second to none. Him and Tenay were a fantastic duo who you could tell just enjoyed working together and made TNA exciting during the peak years.

Rest well, Don.

• Paid Members

Say what you want about TNA but Tenay and West are up there with the greatest commentary duos in any company. He was the perfect colour opposition to Tenay's play by play and it's hard to think of any highlight of peak TNA without thinking of his voice. A true shame he's gone.

Damn it no, that freaking sucks. Bloody loved DW, his enthusiasm about absolutely everything made TNA much more enjoyable than it should have been in the early years and he and Mike Tenay were genuinely at one point the best commentary team in wrestling until they needlessly turned Don heel then took him off to bring in Taz

His shilling of merch on Impact’s socials was second to none too, especially with the brown bag specials

Ahh, shit.  

I was a huge fan of the TNA product, from its inception right through to the end of the Spike TV era. And for a large part of that, Don West was the voice of TNA.  As others have said, his unbridled enthusiasm and energy overcame any limitations he might have had as an announcer - he made so many moments and matches genuinely exciting almost through force of personality alone.

He was also a hell of a salesman.  If you ever saw him shilling for ShopTNA, he nearly made me buy some stuff and I have NEVER bought wrestling merch.

I dunno if TNA will ever get a definitive history or a place under the WWE umbrella, but imo he was one of the biggest elements of its success over the years, and also seemingly a genuinely nice bloke.  RIP.

Edit:

Don West selling.  

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Gutted. Don West was panned for the first few weeks but his sheer enthusiasm shone through and, as he learned about the product and business, became genuinely the best colour guy of his time.

In his day job he raked in big merch money for the company and is also one of those guys that no one has a bad word reserved for.

Loved this tribute vid Impact did for Mike Tenay and Don West earlier this year.

Edited by garynysmon

• Awards Moderator

It seems such an obvious thing, to have an announcer who sounds genuinely enthusiastic about everything on the show, but it’s rare to actually get someone who can do it. Don West was that person. He and Tenay were the soundtrack to TNA for the years I watched it, and every highlight I remember from that time will have an over-excited West call accompanying it. RIP.

Taz replacing West as lead colour was the biggest nail in the coffin of 'proper' TNA.

A sacrifice too far just to desperately look and sound as much like your competition as possible. 

Maybe it will be dead in six months now. 

RIP Don! 

• Paid Members

Fucking loved Don. He made wrestling fun at a time when it frequently wasn't. Came at each show with the enthusiasm of a ten-year old in spite of the frequently turdtastic programming he was sat in front of.

Edited by Gus Mears