Saint Nicko’s Christmas/Humbug 2022 thread

Fatty Facesitter

First time in a few years I’m not working Christmas Eve with it falling on a Saturday (I only do Mon-Fri) so I’m spending the morning with my mum, sister and oldest niece (my BIL is staying at home minding my youngest niece) having buffet breakfast at a local pub before we pick up our traditional Christmas food order from M&S

The big day itself is being spent at my sister’s for the first time and she’s cooking the dinner (well the sides anyway, mum’s still cooking the turkey, beef and gravy at home and carving them) and I believe my cousin, her husband, my nephews, her sister and my other niece are coming for lunch as well or at least after it so it should be a fun, mad house of a day

For anyone who doesn't know I've been living in Vietnam since 2013. I've been back for a total of 1 Christmas (2016) before we got married. 

We had planned to go in 2020 as I was planning on changing jobs and having a bit of time off (both of which I did). As you probably guessed start of that year things changed quite drastically worldwide and I became locked inside Vietnam. For a while there was no way to legally leave and then until march this year it was a 1 way ticket out for non-Viets. Luckily In 2020 we had mild lockdowns and relative harmony. Infact it was great for cheap domestic holidays as resorts were crying out for guests. We got a business class flight and 4 star hotel in Hue for about 300 quid. 

In 2021 things got a lot worse with cases rising and we were put under militaristic lockdowns. If I hadn't changed jobs and moved location as well as buying a flat it would've been fine but the stress of all that, a pregnant wife and not knowing if the food would last or we would get dragged off physically for testing or cheap Chinese vaccines caused some mental health damage. 

Since then things are better, my new job is great andbwerensuper supportive during the lockdowns and finally we have tickets booked for the three of us to come back for my first Christmas at home in 4 years which includes introducing my son to his grandparents. This return home was wishful, then hopeful for a long time as we had so much paperwork to sort out but now it's 2 weeks away and I can't wait to dive straight in to all that Christmas bollocks again. Well first stop is always a chippy tea on the night we arrive but then yay Christmas 

I fucking hate Christmas and the forced fun that comes with it. I teach and have deadlines all around Christmas and generally feel burnt out by students who keep sending drafts etc. So by the time I actually get to end of term, I've had enough and just want to do nothing. That, and previous Christmases have been dominated by Mrs Wideload's family and I fucking hate the Tory cunts. They're the kind of people who harass you for not drinking, are full of little private in-jokes and brag about their bonuses as they work in financial district. Ergh.

That said, I'm excited for my children's sake and have little festive activities planned including a visit to the local farm winter wonderland event. 

We're moving house on the 17th and will hopefully have my brother and his children round Xmas eve for a little children's party. Other than that, it's eating and trying not to moan about getting shit I didn't ask for or want. Humbug.

• Paid Members

We're all remote now, so our Xmas party is getting drunk playing Jackbox games on Discord with a Deliveroo voucher form the company. It's not the same, but it is nice to be able to finish the party then walk six feet to my bed.

My last proper Xmas work pub crawl was when I worked at Morrisons, and we all went out for the night as Santa and his reindeer and ended up doing karaoke at 2am. Still love the pictures of this night (I'm Santa, and that is not a hair dye but white spray paint that took me fucking ages to remove)

spacer.pngspacer.png

My nephew and his husband have just adopted and are hosting this year so the little guy can be in his own house for the day. Quite looking forward to it as my son will also be there and I usually get him after dinner, but he'll join us for the whole day this time. My mum has had a rough few years health wise and is also really looking forward to it, which is nice. 

I'm not usually big on the whole new year, new me bollocks but I'm moving to a seconded post for two years when I go back in January. It's looking like a great chance for professional development with a much, much better work life balance. So all in all quite a positive time for me, although I'm really conscious, much more so than my usual Catholic guilt, that a lot of people are really struggling at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

We're all remote now, so our Xmas party is getting drunk playing Jackbox games on Discord with a Deliveroo voucher form the company. It's not the same, but it is nice to be able to finish the party then walk six feet to my bed.

My last proper Xmas work pub crawl was when I worked at Morrisons, and we all went out for the night as Santa and his reindeer and ended up doing karaoke at 2am. Still love the pictures of this night (I'm Santa, and that is not a hair dye but white spray paint that took me fucking ages to remove)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Is that the Victoria in Cleveleys?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

Is that the Victoria in Cleveleys?

Great spotting! I used to work at the Morrisons just down the road from it so it was often our starting points for nights out before we'd taxi into Blackpool proper

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Paid Members

This is the first Christmas in about 15 years I'm actually looking forward to. 

It will be the first one with the new Mrs(the Polish one I mentioned in the relationships thead, for those that saw it). They have their big day on Christmas Eve, when they prepare 12 different dishes(full ones too, no passing mash off as one of the them), have a live fish swimming in their bath until they slaughter it to make yet another dish, talk to animals and expect them to answer, give presents, etc.  Then we will move on to Chrismas Day where we will have out traditional day with more gifts, big fuckoff dinner and get pissed. 

From there, it's my mums birthday on Boxing Day, so its out on the traditional all day drinking sesh, which is usually the highlight of Christmas!

Away from family, at work everyone is now back working at least 2 days per week in the office, so I've been invited to 5 different departments nights out, the company-wide night out and the works Christmas dinner. I've been in charge of all the staffs bonus' and gifts from the company, so know for a fact everyone will be buzzing after they see whet they have been awarded. Everything just feels so fucking good at the minute!!!

• Paid Members

First year working hospitality at this time of the year and I absolutely love it. Just finished a 20 plus Christmas dinner booking, over the next 3 weeks we have 600 people booked in overall and honestly it's just fun to be in a small busy kitchen where it's just 3 of us keeping each others spirits up while playing Pop Punk Christmas playlists.

Xmas Day a bunch of friends do the family thing at breakfast and then all get together to have a Christmas together which means people who live in the area with no immediate family have someone to hang with. 

Turn 30 New Years Day and after a pretty ropey few years even reaching that milestone wasn't ever something I saw happening. So that's boss.