Saint Nicko’s Christmas/Humbug 2022 thread

Fatty Facesitter

Alas, Christmas is cancelled. Both my girlfriends parents have that super cold thing and are really ill. Her mum phoned up to tell her, wondering how on earth they caught it.

“Well I’d say it was likely from supermarkets or from the granddaughters school but your masks would’ve helped there”

”Oh we don’t wear masks, you don’t have to anymore”

”Dad has stage 4 cancer and is severely immuno compromised, why WOULDNT you wear a mask”

”Because scientists say they don’t work”

”Which scientists”

”It was on the telly”

”It was on GBNews wasn’t it”

”……can’t remember, but they don’t work”

”So why do dads surgeons wear them when he’s operated on”

”That’s different masks”

”So if those ones work, why not wear them”

”So it’s my fault we are ill then”

”Yes, more than likely”

We went down today to drop off presents. Her parents, sister, and niece were there. They were all really ill wondering why. We were sat there wearing masks. 

Kind of glad loads of potential grief has been avoided, but now I’ve got to cook Christmas dinner!! Air fryer Christmas dinner coming up!!

On 12/20/2022 at 5:26 PM, air_raid said:

I got taught about this in the manner of “how do you not know elf on the shelf” about five years ago by a girl aged about 24 at the time. I was dumbfounded and assumed it was a generation gap thing.

I've never thought of it or mis-remembered it as something that was about when I was a kid. As much of a pain in the arse as it can be especially when I'm monents away from sleeping and realise that I've forgotten to do something, it brings a tremendous amount of joy to my son.

He was absolutely buzzing for his elf to "return" this year and every morning when he's woken up it's the first thing he wants to go and see. 

That childhood innocence and enjoyment is something I'm sure we all miss. It's seems as though its an increasingly small window children are children for nowadays. Let them (try to) enjoy it whilst they can.

We’d arranged months ago that my mum was coming round for Christmas lunch today. Last night she tells me that she’s not coming, because my older sibling is going to her flat to cook her lunch instead. The same older sibling who was her emotional abuser when they lived together several years ago, who burned through thousands of pounds of my mum’s life savings, and which ended with my mum’s stuff being thrown out of windows and the police being called. I haven’t spoken to said sibling in almost 10 years and hope to keep that going for at least the rest of my life.

My mum says “she’s changed”, but there’s never been an apology or even an acknowledgement of anything that happened, which I’m fairly sure means that nothing has changed. I was unfortunate to overhear part of a phone call recently where sibling started giving her grief about not answering the phone on the first ring before even saying hello.

Sorry for the rant. I feel sad and betrayed, but must keep up a smile for the kids! Nearly sprouts and cabbage o’clock…

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, air_raid said:

Merry Christmas keffers. Especially @Bellenda Carlisle- no more sleeps. Hope Santa sang “Leave A Light On For Me” last night.

Thanks uce. The only present I got was a Jade Cargill action figure I bought for myself so I don't think Santa passed my gaff.