Saint Nicko’s Christmas/Humbug 2022 thread

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Next you'll be saying putting a bit of puff pastry on top of a spoon of stew makes a pie. 

Don't be so ridiculous. 

It's shortcrust pastry. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Next you'll be saying putting a bit of puff pastry on top of a spoon of stew makes a pie. 

And that Die Hard is/isn't a Christmas movie, that chippies that sell kebabs are/aren't chippies (and also Chinese chip shops), and that it's a roll, not a batch/cob/stotty.

Bring on all the threadkillers.

• Paid Members
On 12/13/2022 at 5:23 PM, stewdogg said:

I hate the stupid Irish music in it too. That's not being racist either, I love bagpipes

I honestly didn't think it would be possible to better "The Invisible Man would have been good without the invisible man" but fair play to you, this was a marvellous try.

• Paid Members

What I like about the muppets version, at least how I remember it, is the script and Cain really capture his bitter losses; his distant farther bitter his mother died in his childbirth, his sole support in his sister dying in childbirth, his lost true love. There's a moment where he really puts across how he's sad at all his struggle and loss more than just avarice when talking to a muppets, which is something while also being a fantastic light funny family film. 

I have very mixed feelings about Christmas. I loved it as a kid. Mental looking back because I was clearly spoilt and I have no idea how my parents did what they did for me every year. Especially now I'm a parent.

When we lost my dad in 2009 it definitely changed things and it was a rough time of year for a while because it was always so family based and so just ended up with me and my mum. We made do.

Nowadays its me, my wife, our three kids.. then sometimes brother in law, his wife and their kid.. and sometimes sister in law, her husband and their kid. In fact I think they're all going to be there this year.

It just all gets a bit.. intense? Like the kids go fucking mental and rush through the presents. The noise levels are insane. It's just a lot..

And don't get me wrong I love having the family all together and I really appreciate what we have. I just find the older I get the more difficult I find it to cope with the chaos of it all.

On 12/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I’m dreading it this year. Usually I do nothing and that’s how I like it. But my girlfriends dad has stage four cancer so he’s asked for a family Christmas in case it’s his last. I should stress he is always nice and friendly with me. He’s an ex army Britain First racist homophobic type and my girlfriend has asked me to not get into arguments any more as it upsets her. Normally when I push back on the racism, her mum says “No politics” despite Gbeebies being on 24/7 and five minutes of right wing bullshit before I say anything. 

That’s not what I’m dreading though, it’s her sister’s boyfriend being there. I don’t know him and the only time I’ve met him he was banging on about how you can’t get a GP appointment if you’re white. He thinks Covid is a scam and blames immigrants for everything and is one of those who doesn’t allow facts to get in the way of confident stupidity and bigotry. And he’s a rangers fan. I honestly don’t think I can keep quiet. 

On the back of this. We went to visit her parents, they were at the hospital so it was her sister and sisters 12 year old daughter there (They dont live there but are always there). 

The mum of the family decreed it would be a no alcohol Christmas dinner on account of me and my girlfriends dad being alcoholics, but it was her dads idea for this rule. Anyway, her sister had been to Tesco to get a bottle of JD as a present for her dad, my girlfriend said “But mum said the rule was no alcohol”. My girlfriend is autistic so rules and structures are essential. Her sister said she don’t care and will be having wine and her daughter will have a Buck’s Fizz.  

Cue the sister trying to goad my girlfriend into a meltdown which didn’t happen. When the parents returned, the sister said she wasn’t coming on Christmas Day now because of her sister. She was making out she didn’t know about this rule (despite us all there when it was announced weeks back) and said because it’s her Christmas too she should be allowed to do what she wants. 

Since my girlfriend got her diagnosis of ASD, her sister has been difficult with her, as if she doesn’t believe her and hates the attention she gets. She’s 40 for fucks sake. It’s going to be fun. 

To try and calm down the situation,, I’ve decided to wear my 1950s replica Argentina shirt after hearing the dad tell his granddaughter that as much as we should hate the French, we will be cheering them on in the final because we are still at war with the argies.