Saint Nicko’s Christmas/Humbug 2022 thread

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
Our tree is up and I’ve already been told off for putting decorations in the wrong place. I have repeatedly skipped Michael Buble on our Spotify Christmas shuffle set, so I’ve been told off again. I’ve seen the coke advert on TV for the first time this winter. I’ve re-watched the Peep Show episode where Mark hosts and his father chastises him by booming ‘CAULIFLOWER **IS** TRADITONAL’ at the top of his lungs. Family gift enquiries have already begun have no idea what to get each other for Xmas ‘Why don’t you ask them?’. Some fucking help you are, Mother Facesitter. 

The clock has past midnight and it’s now December, so time for a Christmas thread. A chance to regale us all with your tales of woe, to moan about the ridiculous Xmas present prices, fretting about the presents you’ve not yet bought and the family plans you may have to suffer through or, possibly, enjoy. Or, if you’re not a Christmas person, a chance to revel in the humbuggery of it all. 

It’s my turn to visit the Mrs’ side of the family in Portugal this year - looking forward to seeing them, but not so much the post-Brexit buggery at the airports as it’ll be my first time experiencing it (I’ve flown abroad since but usually with a work visa sorted in advance). Weather will still be chilly looking forward to getting my Feliz Natal on. 

More or less there with presents - pretty much all family stuff taken care of despite the lack of help I’ve previously highlighted. I just need to find a place to hide everything, and absolutely not get someone to help me to wrap and totally, definitely do it all myself. Without help. Honest. 

Other things I’m looking forward to - 

• We’re off to see ‘The Muppets Christmas Carol’ at the theatre but with a live orchestra. It’s not just my favourite Christmas film, but my favourite film full stop. It’s fucking brilliant and I won’t entertain any opinions to the contrary. 
  • We’re going on a ‘Santa special’ steam train ride with two of our good friends and their adorable little lad. I don’t know who’s more excited - him or me. If Santa is there as well, I hope it’s not awkward if I sit on his knee. 
  • My birthday is on the 16th and this year I’m going to go big and do…….absolutely **nothing**. Our work Christmas party is the day before, so I’m going to sleep in all day on the 16th, relax and count my blessings at surviving another maddening year. 

What are your grand plans for this year? Also, emotional time of year so wishing you and your families all well in advance (just don’t bother asking them for gift advice). 
Edited by Fatty Facesitter
I hate formatting on mobile.

• Fatty Facesitter changed the title to Saint Nicko’s Christmas/Humbug 2022 thread
  • Paid Members

It's going to be a weird one this year as it's our first one without my Gran. Right now my mum's debating on whether to bother opening the pub, or just take a day off. We're talking about just getting a curry delivered and having a day of chilling. Neither of us are particularly looking forward to it, although they did play Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses in McDonald's yesterday, which always gets me feeling festive. I'm sure the Hanson Christmas albums and Funny Looking Angels by Smith & Burrows will be getting some play soon. 

It used to be such a big event. My gran would make us a huge dinner, then we'd open our presents, drink brews, talk and just have a really chilled day. One of the staff would open the pub in the evening so we wouldn't have to rush back. I'd stick the Doctor Who Special on the iPlayer and it'd just be a great day. Other years my mum would cook dinner at the pub, and my gran would come over. These meals would be a little shorter as we'd have to try and clear the place before we reopened in the evening. 

My birthday is the 22nd as well, and is going to be similarly odd, although my close friend Bom is possibly going to come and visit, and maybe stay the night which would be nice. Plus my mum and I are going to use the Italian restaurant meal voucher she got the former Mrs Jazzy and me for Christmas a few years ago. 

I’m dreading it this year. Usually I do nothing and that’s how I like it. But my girlfriends dad has stage four cancer so he’s asked for a family Christmas in case it’s his last. I should stress he is always nice and friendly with me. He’s an ex army Britain First racist homophobic type and my girlfriend has asked me to not get into arguments any more as it upsets her. Normally when I push back on the racism, her mum says “No politics” despite Gbeebies being on 24/7 and five minutes of right wing bullshit before I say anything. 

That’s not what I’m dreading though, it’s her sister’s boyfriend being there. I don’t know him and the only time I’ve met him he was banging on about how you can’t get a GP appointment if you’re white. He thinks Covid is a scam and blames immigrants for everything and is one of those who doesn’t allow facts to get in the way of confident stupidity and bigotry. And he’s a rangers fan. I honestly don’t think I can keep quiet. 

• Paid Members

I don't get to do the big family Christmas thing any more for similar reasons as Keith - my mum's the former Party Director for UKIP and isn't shy about expressing her opinions, while I'm the source of trouble for not just sitting there and listening to it for hours on end. My wife's family are all back in Florida (where she moved from) and it's too costly to fly over there for a few days so it'll just be the two of us devouring ungodly amounts of cheese and watching Jingle All The Way until bedtime.

• Paid Members

In happier news, my Dad passed away last year (OK, not that bit but bear with me). His Mum, my 91 year old gran is still alive and I'm the only family member near and see her as much as I can but understandably, she hasn't done a great deal since then between her age and the impact of it all. For a Christmas present I've booked a long weekend away in Wales for the two of us and Mrs Mears in the New Year and told her about it earlier today to make sure she feels up to the travel before I actually purchase anything. She's really excited bless her, probably the last time she'll get to Wales (she grew up there) and It's really nice being able to give her something to look forward to after such a shit 18 months.

• Paid Members

Going to be weird this year- my dad passed away this weekend (I was only told this morning) so my sister was planning to bring the family down a few days afterward, but she's coming down sooner than later to help sort stuff out. I wasn't as close to him as she was, but I'll help how I can.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m dreading it this year. Usually I do nothing and that’s how I like it. But my girlfriends dad has stage four cancer so he’s asked for a family Christmas in case it’s his last. I should stress he is always nice and friendly with me. He’s an ex army Britain First racist homophobic type and my girlfriend has asked me to not get into arguments any more as it upsets her. Normally when I push back on the racism, her mum says “No politics” despite Gbeebies being on 24/7 and five minutes of right wing bullshit before I say anything. 

That’s not what I’m dreading though, it’s her sister’s boyfriend being there. I don’t know him and the only time I’ve met him he was banging on about how you can’t get a GP appointment if you’re white. He thinks Covid is a scam and blames immigrants for everything and is one of those who doesn’t allow facts to get in the way of confident stupidity and bigotry. And he’s a rangers fan. I honestly don’t think I can keep quiet. 

Throw a sickie? 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, seph said:

Going to be weird this year- my dad passed away this weekend (I was only told this morning) so my sister was planning to bring the family down a few days afterward, but she's coming down sooner than later to help sort stuff out. I wasn't as close to him as she was, but I'll help how I can.

Really sorry to hear that. Hope sorting things out goes as well as that sort of thing can.

14 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Throw a sickie? 

Nah. They live in Bedworth and I’m the driver. 

47 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

These days, you get arrested and thrown in jail just for trying to book a doctors appointment. 

Really? These days?

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, seph said:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What a sad thing in the middle of all of it.

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear that @seph, also @Gus Mears about your old man as well. 

My dad passed away on New Year's Day 2021 after a battle with bowel cancer - it was rubbish as you can imagine. But, despite his initial prognosis, he had several extra years of birthdays and Christmases and I'm so grateful for the extra time we got to spend together. 

I know Seph you said you weren't as close to him, and Gus you've had some time pass since as well, but if either of you or anyone has gone through something similar with a parent, here's some really practical help that I seeked and it did/is still doing me wonders - 

- Cruse: https://www.cruse.org.uk/ - The folks at Cruse are bloody wonderful. Many of the volunteers working there have either seeked help from the charity before and are given back to them, or at least have the proper training to help you through it etc, and they are all thoroughly decent folk and very pleasant to talk to, even with it being a difficult subject. I sought their help fairly recently even though plenty of time has passed since that day and they've been brilliant. A wonderful place to speak to if you don't necessarily want to open up fully to friends and family right away. 

- Remember that if you're looking after relatives and helping them through, just remember to actually take some time for yourself as well. The way Cruse described it to me was that like grief is a bit like water - one way or another it's going to flow even if you initially try to suppress it. 

- Frequent one of their favourite spots, maybe somewhere they used to go for nice walks or a nice park (or both) and use that as a nice setting for reflection, in addition to somewhere such as the place of burial or where the funeral may have occurred. My old man loved the Norfolk Broads so we go there quite a bit and it's absolutely beautiful most of the year and really tranquil....except when the swans are about and they hiss at you. That's bloody terrifying. 

Back to present day Xmas matters, avoid Kinder Bueno advent calendars - they cost a fortune as I've just found out to great cost. 

• Paid Members

We're doing it a bit differently this year, as my mam can't get downstairs as much the main tree and gifts are in her room and my tree has gone in the lounge. I've bought a small potted one for outside we can use every year too. 

She wants pork for dinner so I've got a small pheasant in for me. 

On the run up I've got a a few bottles of whisky, some brandy, a few bottles of port, a few boxes of beer and some cigars in so ultimately I'm happy whatever. 

• Paid Members

Went to go see Home Alone last weekend at the cinema and going to see Die Hard next Friday. 

Still not got the tree up due to work but planning on it this weekend while watching both Home Alone (again) and Home Alone 2. 

Been eating Mince Pies and Florentines for the last couple of weeks to get a head start on my yearly christmas weight gain. At my family’s for christmas dinner this year which we’re happy about as it’s only round the corner so my wife doesn’t have to drive and can relax more.

• Paid Members

I'm contemplating nipping to our local cinema tomorrow to watch Violent Night. It looks pretty special. It's £5 a showing at the Reel Cinema. Hopefully they have decent nachos.