AEW Full Gear 2022

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RalphyV2 said:

As a total guess, although this is probably already obvious, i would imagine this lyric in the Kansas song is probably aimed at punk

""Carry on, my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done"" 

I've seen a few people suggesting that it's a dig at Punk, but I don't think there's anything more to it than the Bucks seeing themselves as the "wayward sons" of AEW.

In terms of wanting AEW to be fun again, the pre-show had way more of that than the main PPV did. Just letting Eddie Kingston wrestle whoever he wants, and filling time on a live mic, had more energy and more fun to it than most of the actual event. The only thing that came close on the main card was Danhausen's massive jacket.

Edited by BomberPat

Good PPV.  I enjoyed the sports entertainment shenanigans main event, even though it makes no sense.  Moxley looks knackered though, he definitely needs this time off.

Not only was Storm v Hayter the best AEW women's match so far, it was one of the best AEW matches I've seen, period.  A really, really well told story, all with physicality, that had the crowd eating it up, every near fall, and a huge pop for the win.  That was wrestling at its best imo.  Hayter is the best wrestler in AEW right now - she has that Benoit thing where everything she does makes sense and feels real within the context of pro wrestling.  I prefer her physical style to the "look how much I can bleed" physical style of the BCC.

Hopefully they drop the Interim bit tomorrow night and make her official champ.  And I can see her defending against Saraya fairly soon, and then ultimately against Britt Baker.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RalphyV2 said:

Great post. I recall watching AEW week in week out for a fair while even when my love/passion for pro wrestling faded considerably. It felt during this time like the wrestlers where having fun and that in turn made it a great product to watch. 

These days i find WWE more fun than AEW and i didn't think i would be saying that 6 months ago 

As a total guess, although this is probably already obvious, i would imagine this lyric in the Kansas song is probably aimed at punk

""Carry on, my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done"" 

Once again

On 11/21/2022 at 10:22 AM, Infinity Land said:

People have done a deep dive on this and it turns out its a song they've wanted to come out to for years. As seen in a BTE episode back in April 2021.

• Paid Members

I liked the show but I did find it weird how many matches were built around some variation on "They were friends but fell out" or "They are friends but might fall out". I was actually relieved when Britt went full on Jamie Hayter fan-girl, without even the slightest tease that she might turn.

It's probably nit-picking, like, because the work telling those stories was generally really good, but it did make me think about how creative AEW used to be not so long ago.

On the plus side, the only match I thought was bad was Britt vs Saraya and, really, that was to be expected since Saraya has been out of the ring for so long. I enjoyed everything else. It's made me look forward to seeing how things turn out with Fenix, Swerve vs Lee and, especially, MJF, Regal and the BCC. Done properly, I think Mox might actually benefit from that split more than anybody. He's at his best when he's pissed off and fighting against the odds. If Bryan and Claudio stick with Regal, which would make storyline sense, then we could see some absolute bangers. Especially if we get a Mox and Kingston reunion out of it.

• Paid Members

I don't think Saraya was any worse in that match than she was when she was last wrestling - read into that whatever you like. Could have done without Zak going full Bruce Hart at ringside, while no-showing stuff he was actually booked for so he could get his face on the telly, though.

I feel like a broken record, but Tony Khan's booking is at its worst when he gets stuck in a holding pattern when things don't go to plan - there's a few feuds that feel like they've been going on forever, because there have been spanners thrown in the works; whether that's BCC vs. JAS, Christian vs. Jungle Boy, or whatever, yet every PPV tends to feel at least somewhat like an effort to bring things back into focus and right the ship. His other weakness is too much repetition - it was "manager/stable trying to recruit babyface" for months, now it's "dissension between friends/partners" - and I'm hoping this show at least represented some forward momentum in that case. 

Thought the opener was brilliant. Only thing i would have changed is to have Luchasauras pass out rather than pretty quickly tap out at the end.

I would be looking to get Jungle Boy take the TNT title at the next PPV, a nice long reign with that would hopefully set him up as a World Title contender in early 2024.

• Paid Members

The best thing for Jungle Boy would be to move him on to any other feud, keep Christian off TV until he's fully recovered, so that people forget about all this. Then, when JB has a big babyface moment over his new big rival, Christian can turn up and spoil it. As it stands, that feud dragging on while Christian can't wrestle has watered it down needlessly.

Similarly, whatever happens with the Blackpool Combat Club, I hope they're kept well away from the JAS for a few months at least. If Regal's not with them anymore, they need to scrap the name, and maybe Danielson/Claudio/Yuta can go after the Trios Titles, or they can remember that Claudio and Yuta confronted FTR at the last ROH show. 

MJF as champion - especially if Mox is getting his time off - should be a bit of a reset in terms of who's in the main event picture. The Elite are tied up with the Best of 7 Series, so Omega's not going to be challenging him any time soon, and we don't know how long Hangman's out for yet, so all of that suggests some freshening up - Kingston vs. MJF has the making of an awesome title feud, at least. Wardlow having dropped the TNT belt makes me think he's going to crash MJF's party at some point too.

Hopefully the interim title situation will be cleared up soon and Jamie can get a proper moment as the real champion, a lot of the current dragging stories can be settled, and I'm hoping that after Final Battle some of the ROH stuff is put to bed. Because what I still kind of cling to with AEW is that they can turn things around and get better when things are going to shit. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Thought the opener was brilliant. Only thing i would have changed is to have Luchasauras pass out rather than pretty quickly tap out at the end.

Couldn't disagree more. Jungle Boy looks hard as fuck now he's made Luchasaurus tap out. And Lucha is the kind of wrestler who, one big beatdown and chokeslam later, has all his aura back.

Lucha passing out would've made it look like he's valiantly trying to fight on whereas I think the feud called for Jungle Boy proving he is just better.