AEW Full Gear 2022

LaGoosh

18 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

For a company that in it's first few years was magnificent at course correcting when fans rejected something it's pretty infuriating how stubborn they are being with this ROH stuff when clearly everyone hates it. 

I can understand it, I suppose, given that Tony Khan has spent his own money on ROH.

I do wonder how far the ROH-hate extends, though. It’s not like there are anti-ROH chants at shows, or anything like that. My guess is that you’re probably right, but given that fans still react to ROH matches, I can understand why Khan might think ROH-hate is isolated to a vocal group on social media.

Just now, RedRooster said:

I can understand it, I suppose, given that Tony Khan has spent his own money on ROH.

I do wonder how far the ROH-hate extends, though. It’s not like there are anti-ROH chants at shows, or anything like that. My guess is that you’re probably right, but given that fans still react to ROH matches, I can understand why Khan might think ROH-hate is isolated to a vocal group on social media.

It's because AEW is still good, and while ROH stuff mildly dilutes (again I'd love just the World and Tag Titles about) without the ROH stuff, AEW wasn't good, it was fucking outstanding. 

• Paid Members

MJF/Regal is a fantastic match. Regal is now able to transition back into his natural habit of being a true dastardly villain for the first time in a decade, as opposed to the loveable old rogue act. He’s also siding with the most despicable bastard on the roster - they’re absolutely made for each other. Also makes a bigger splash in the wider wrestling consciousness. 

Plenty of challengers for MJF to rattle through during what I think will be a long  title reign if they play it right. 

• Paid Members

My only concern with the Regal/MJF partnership is if MJF needs Regal? The guy can already talk, so doesn't need a mouthpiece. He already has tons of legitimate heat(probably more than anyone else is AEW has ever had), so doesn't need a "heater". 

I do hope its more of a mentorship where Regal is legitimately working with MJF to take him to the next level both characterise and on the mat. I don't know why they would have to align them on-screen to achieve this, though. 

It will be interesting to see where they go with it, though...

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, gaz2050 said:

Surprised no-one had mentioned the elite's entrance. The sing choice seemed like a big fuck you.

How so? I didn't pick up on that.

Proper licensed music always makes wrestlers feel more big time and it's a great song so I enjoyed it.

13 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

How so? I didn't pick up on that.

Proper licensed music always makes wrestlers feel more big time and it's a great song so I enjoyed it.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but apart from it being a class song, lyrically, it seems very apt such as "there'll be peace when you are done" and "don't you cry no more"

Just doesn't seem coincidental.. 

Edited by gaz2050

• Awards Moderator

That was a decent show.

- Enjoyed the opener, had all the elements I wanted from a match like that. Great that there was no ‘escape to win’ option.

- Trios match was good stuff too, I’ll happily watch another six of those.

- Nyla vs Jade did its job. Nyla’s lost a few times now but beating her still feels like an achievement so it’s a good addition to Jade’s collection of wins.

- Similarly, the TNT match did what it needed to. Hobbs and Wardlow both could/should have won but Joe used his experience and veteran status to jump in there and get the win. Worked for me.

- Sting is the best. He just delivers every time he has a match. Genuinely could be my wrestler of the year. 

- I wasn’t sure on Swerve when he first arrived but he’s definitely a highlight at the moment. His demeanour and the way he moves both make him stand out.

- We’ll see how the MJF/Regal thing turns out. It’s a good thing for MJF, in that as well as the Firm lads coming for him he’s got ready made matches against Danielson, Claudio and Yuta if they want to go that route, which would keep him going for the winter. Not sure what it does for Moxley though. Presumably he’s getting a break now for a bit, but when he comes back, he can’t really get revenge on Regal and can’t really beat MJF in a rematch. Hmm.

7 minutes ago, gaz2050 said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but apart from it being a class song, lyrically, it seems very apt such as "there'll be peace when you are done" and "don't you cry no more"

Just doesn't seem coincidental.. 

It's top trolling. Works either way where if you want to pick out bits and say it's a dig at Punk. There you go.

The Elite tried to trademark Wayward Sons. If you think of them as being the Wayward Son(s) in the song and it being sung by the fans. Which would make the chorus a message of support and unfinished business.

Carry on, my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Looking forward to BTE tomorrow.

Most I've enjoyed an AEW show in ages. 

Hayter won.

Wrestlemania Vii Crying GIF by WWE

Didn't mind the Regal turn and was honestly more annoyed with two ref bumps.

I get wanting to protect Mox but that was overkill. 

Everything was decent to very good.

As for the interim bollocks they count Mox as a three time champion and one of those reigns was interim so I'm guessing it counts as an official reign.

14 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

As for the interim bollocks they count Mox as a three time champion and one of those reigns was interim so I'm guessing it counts as an official reign.

Nah, he’s legitimately held the title three times - he first won it during the pandemic, then he defeated CM Punk in that short match on Dynamite. He’d go on to lose the rematch on PPV, before winning the title again after Punk was stripped of the title, defeating Bryan Danielson.