The Queen Is Dead, Long Live The King

Loki

• Moderators

From the article it sounds like Andrew holds the position by default in the process, rather than it being an appointment Charles is naming. A duty he still held under Liz. So he's not 'back' to anything he wasn't already doing.. Also it says 'may', because it's not confirmed, just expected as the default.

Misleading headline doing its job there for all the people who don't bother reading any further. Complete nothing story. Do better, @WyattSheepMask!

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It’s convenience. The chance of something fucking up down to your own error isn’t there like it is at a checkout. 

An aside, and perhaps something better suited for the TIL thread, but there's a poster up at my work advertising the importance of Psychology degrees, that references the study that determined the order of transactions in an ATM; when first designed, they gave you your money first, and then your card. But the study found that, because receiving money was the purpose of the transaction, people would take the cash and walk away, leaving their card behind, and as a result of their findings the banking industry reordered things to card first and then money.

I tend to prioritise self check-outs for a small shop, and tills for a big shop. Basically if it's a basket, self-checkout, if it's a trolley, tills. But our local big Sainsburys has removed all but a couple of tills now and introduced trolley-sized self-checkouts, so we don't really have that choice any more. In banking terms, I think the push towards online banking is more part of that process than ATMs - it's removing branches and employees and, as you say, transferring labour to the consumer rather than the business. I have complicated feelings on automation, though; I think it's inevitable, and will disorder the labour market and disproportionately affect poor and working class people, but also won't get rid of as many jobs as people are expecting. 

10 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

In banking terms, I think the push towards online banking is more part of that process than ATMs - it's removing branches and employees and, as you say, transferring labour to the consumer rather than the business

It is. About ten years ago I started working for a high street bank and their R+D was all about apps and automation. It’s the natural extension of ATMs and putting the customer in charge as they put it. 

EDIT - The BBC will be live streaming the coffin lying in wait. Fucking hell. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Moderators

You phrase it like it's some underhanded plot to offload the work, but so many customers (including one example voiced in this thread) would much rather serve themselves than have someone serve them. Businesses get that feedback from customers and act on it.

Obviously profits factor in the decision making and I don't think customers who need extra support should be left behind. But it's genuinely a lot more convenient for a big proportion of the public.

Edit: @Keith Houchen

Edited by Chest Rockwell

The obsession with covering every single moment makes it feel like they're waiting for a twist. Like she's going to rise from the dead or Liz Truss is going to do a run in on the King and announce a republic. I don't blame the BBC, they don't really have a choice, but it also has the strange effect of reducing the impact of it all.

Its like a really long wrestling show where you've long stopped caring about any of it anymore and you're just watching the clock and thinking about how numb your arse is. 

There's only so many spots involving pens you can watch before they lose all impact. 

21 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You phrase it like it's some underhanded plot to offload the work, but so many customers (including one example voiced in this thread) would much rather serve themselves than have someone serve them. Businesses get that feedback from customers and act on it.

It wasn’t intended. The saving money is a big factor but the main driver is customer satisfaction. I much prefer setting up my own direct debits and having control over the day to day running of my accounts and leaving the back office stuff for the back office. It’s so much more convenient and is a great example of a business adapting to a changing world. It sucks for some older people and that’s a shame, but it’s a forward thinking plan. 

I initially mentioned them because people berate self serving checkouts as taking jobs. Well ATMs and even cleaning up your table when you finish in a fast food place do as well but they never seem to meet the same derision. It’s about east of use over anything. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It is. About ten years ago I started working for a high street bank and their R+D was all about apps and automation. It’s the natural extension of ATMs and putting the customer in charge as they put it. 

Off Topic but my account is an "online super saver" or something like that and I shouldn't use the branch for deposits or withdrawals and need to use the ATM. However it cased an issue in the branch near where I worked with coin deposits, which were an obvious exception alongside withdrawals over the atm limit, but because that's the script from head office whenever they got the card they just kept telling me to stuff my bags of 5p coins into the atm. 

I wish I'd not used common sense and asked them to get another teller to explain to them why that's wrong and just fed them one by one into the card slot. 

10 hours ago, stevieg1980 said:

The Liverpool Newcastle game that was due on the Sunday was actually cancelled because of her death.

Ah, crap, I'd forgotten about that. Thanks. 

When I made the previous comment, I was presuming the funeral would be this Saturday and potentially wipe out another whole day of club football. Because it's not until Monday it's also technically falling within an international break and causing less disruption. Still too much, mind, and the damage from losing last weekend is already done.

• Paid Members

I don't think I can take another 'hot take' today about how Rangers should be applauded for last night's display, blissfully ignorant of/ignoring the fact that something like this is so up their fucking street and is a political statement in itself. No different to Celtic's banner.

Edited by garynysmon