The Queen Is Dead, Long Live The King

Loki

• Paid Members

I'm not sure what's worse, people you know and thought were logical, rational people turning out to be Brexiteers or finding out they are royalists. 

I've been told to 'show some respect' quite a few times over on Facebook the last few days by making a few light-hearted jokes or even daring to ask a question as to why people would queue for 14 hours to see a flag over a coffin instead of watching the hearse drive past, which I thought was a genuine question.

People say Twitter is a cesspit, I think Facebook gives it a run for its money, the worst part being you actually know the people on there. Might be time to dip out again.

Twitter is better than Facebook. Less people pretending to be happy and chances are, you won’t know as many people on there finding out your business. I took a break from Facebook starting three weeks ago as I suspect it has played a part in harming my mental health. Besides missing out on local news, I don’t miss it at all so far. Not sorry I left before the Queen died either. I’d have unfollowed even more Royalists uploading annoying memes I’m sure.

Americans grieving over a British Monarch dying seems strange to me when you consider they pride themselves on being a Republic since fighting a war of independence against Britain. 

I wish the old girl could have held out until after the next general election, it’s going to be gammon overdrive. Imagine, as shit as Liz Truss is and a former anti monarchist to boot, the Tories hammering Labour with their faux nationalism whilst they find a way to paint Starmer as unpatriotic. 

Edited by Mr_Danger

9 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I wish the old girl could have held out until after the next general election, it’s going to be gammon overdrive. Imagine, as shit as Liz Truss is and a former anti monarchist to boot, the Tories hammering Labour with their faux nationalism whilst they find a way to paint Starmer as unpatriotic. 

I think he has been reading the forum as apparently the national anthem is to be played at conference for the first time in ages! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, David said:

British Royalists and Americans in general arguing over anything is laughable. Neither can claim anything close to a moral or social high ground. Both are the worst of the fucking worst.

Same assessment for the argument over which is worse out of Facebook and Twitter. They're both fucking garbage.

• Paid Members

I find Twitter to be fascinating reading. I know it's bad for me to spend time reading all the unhinged individuals on there but I must be a glutton for punishment. In the case of Twitter in particular, it's important to remember that Twitter does not represent the real world or real life. It's a bizarre place where the most radical extremist voices on all sides shout the loudest and seem like the majority. Then you go outside and talk to a real person and remember how batshit it is on there.  Still, I can't look away. 

I pretty much came of age on Facebook so I have a soft spot for it. And there are a bunch of meme groups that are always an enjoyable diversion. 

• Paid Members

I find Facebook useful for keeping in touch with people and keeping track of events and gigs. The feed is the shit part of it that distracts or pisses people off, so I did a bit of digging, and found a Chrome extension called "News Feed Eradicator", which just replaces the entire feed with a quote - there are a few others like it. Turned it on, and it's been great ever since: FB has pretty much gone back to what I (and I'm fairly a lot of people) used it for in the first place.

• 1 year later...

Sounds like prostate cancer, that they caught from a biopsy.

He should be ok if they caught it early.  The worst part is Nicholas Witchell on our screens again, that ghastly man.