12 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Ultimately, he's done damage to his own brand here. It'll be fascinating to see how people react to him on Wednesday, and subsequently how he reacts to that. I can't imagine that he won't be suspended if all of this is true, perhaps after dropping the title to someone at Arthur Ashe. 

Oh come on, what is anyone supposed to do in that situation? Bollocking him in public would be a bad idea, and in itself would have been inappropriate, particularly if The Bucks really had leaked false stories about Punk. It's the kind of thing that needed to be managed in private, unfortunately it boiled over before that could happen. And let's not give Vince more credit than he's due here. Yes, he was good at keeping that kind of thing out of the public eye - but he didn't do press conferences. But we know that kind of thing happened - Jericho fighting Goldberg, Booker T and Batista, the plane ride from hell. In addition, Vince was a known bully who thrived on the humiliation of others. WWE hasn't been immune from this. 

He needs a severe consequences so he doesn't do it again.. I'd have told him to mind himself. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Who is our money on there? I've got Santana and Daniel Garcia as dark horses. 

They should honestly just do this as a work and have Hager tear through it, give him something to do. 

It could be the making of Powerhouse Hobbs or The Butcher. Both feel like massive, double hard bastards who’d eat punches happily.

Punk vs. Ogogo in the first round, please.

HOOK wins the whole thing, obviously. 😉

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Surely we can all see they’re clearly awful pricks too? They ooze snide comments, passive aggression and in-jokes.

It’s the least surprising thing in the world they don’t get along with dour old Punk.

If we’re going run for run, though, I’m keeping Punk. Nothings kept me locked in in wrestling in the last decade quite like MJF/Punk.

Indeed. I don't watch AEW to the extent, I assume, most people do on here that follow the company. But Punk is exactly what the promotion needs if they're serious about being a large, competitive wrestling company that appeals to a relatively wide audience. Otherwise it's just a big budget PWG.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Surely we can all see they’re clearly awful pricks too? They ooze snide comments, passive aggression and in-jokes.

It’s the least surprising thing in the world they don’t get along with dour old Punk.

Nail on the head. Both The Elite and Punk are unlikeable dickheads, it's just Punk does it to your face (and in public). The Elite would rather make shite jokes on their internet show and chuck Sapp and Meltzer a few bones.

Its like Truss Vs Sunak, but in Spandex.

EDIT: In terms of what Khan should and shouldn't have done, it's not a case of a public bollocking or absolutely nothing, there is a third option and that's to put an end to the situation as it was escalating. He could have done that by moving on, ending the scrum or interrupting Punk and answering the questions himself. 

Once Punk was done and off stage or when he got word something was going down (Jericho told him 'shits gone down' in his ear when they were on stage), he should have handed the reigns to an experienced hand like Jericho and left stage himself. Instead, he sat there working himself up and chocking on his water. 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Nail on the head. Both The Elite and Punk are unlikeable dickheads, it's just Punk does it to your face (and in public). The Elite would rather make shite jokes on their internet show and chuck Sapp and Meltzer a few bones.

Its like Truss Vs Sunak, but in Spandex.

EDIT: In terms of what Khan should and shouldn't have done, it's not a case of a public bollocking or absolutely nothing, there is a third option and that's to put an end to the situation as it was escalating. He could have done that by moving on, ending the scrum or interrupting Punk and answering the questions himself. 

Once Punk was done and off stage or when he got word something was going down (Jericho told him 'shits gone down' in his ear when they were on stage), he should have handed the reigns to an experienced hand like Jericho and left stage himself. Instead, he sat there working himself up and chocking on his water. 

Ending the scrum and sorting shit out would have been sensible of course. But, that would of in itself caused a scene and questions as to what was going on. I’ve thought the pressers have been interesting and something that sets them apart previously but maybe they should think of not doing them going forward. At the end of the day, you’d like to think you’ve got Adults and they can behave themselves. But this is wrestling, Of course it’s full of fucking idiots behaving like they are kids.

The last press conference they did an angle? It might might have been the ROH PPV come to think of it. Where Daniel Garcia interrupted the BCC. That was the jump the shark moment for me.

I think it might be better to flip things rather than end them. Especially now they try and do Sunday PPVs. Right now TK does a conference call to hype the PPV, which could still happen. Then a post-show press conference. It'd be easy enough to have a Saturday press conference as part of their fanfest. I certainly think some of the talents would be happier instead of having to hang around post-PPV.

Post show they could scrap it entirely or just have Tony. Every once in a while have a new signing or return make an appearance.

On that presser, the Jericho bit is great. Guys a right wing idiot but fuck me I enjoy him as a wrestler. If TK needs some help, he can do worse than putting Jericho and say a Regal in positions of power.

I imagine it will be mentioned on Wednesday. You have to. Hopefully they can at least turn this shit situation into something good.

You don't have to like each other in competitions, but you have to be professional. Its a test for Khan, but if he's strong in this it will help him long term. I can't see either side leaving the company personally. Just sort out the bollocks and have Eddie Kingston win both the World title and triple titles.

1 minute ago, Factotum said:

I imagine it will be mentioned on Wednesday. You have to. Hopefully they can at least turn this shit situation into something good.

I'm not sure they do. Unless there's suspensions of on-air talent to come from it. Anything that comes from this will be down the line.

The World Title fallout is all on MJF and crew. Is he cashing in at Grand Slam?

The Elite are the new World Trios champions. Just had a couple of Trios win at All Out and Death Triangle v. Best Friends is booked for Dynamite. The focus must be on who's the first set of challengers.

Different segments. Nothing to intertwine them. The only real issue is if babyface CM Punk comes out to a heel reaction. Which has the potential to happen anyway as people are wanting to cheer MJF, while he wants to double down on the cheat heat heel factory. Punk trying to run through Page, Moriarty, Morrissey to get to MJF is going to lead to apathy from the crowd. A reverse of when Danielson smashed through the Dark Order and people just loved him more for it.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Oh come on, what is anyone supposed to do in that situation? Bollocking him in public would be a bad idea, and in itself would have been inappropriate, particularly if The Bucks really had leaked false stories about Punk. It's the kind of thing that needed to be managed in private, unfortunately it boiled over before that could happen. And let's not give Vince more credit than he's due here. Yes, he was good at keeping that kind of thing out of the public eye - but he didn't do press conferences. But we know that kind of thing happened - Jericho fighting Goldberg, Booker T and Batista, the plane ride from hell. In addition, Vince was a known bully who thrived on the humiliation of others. WWE hasn't been immune from this. 

They didn't though. What was reported was that people backstage assumed Cabana's status was down to Punk but that that feeling had changed after Grayson and Angels left. I genuinely think Punk's taken that, and the reports that the Bucks fought for Cabana's job and confused the two.

Really Khan's biggest mistake is letting things even reach this point. He should've sorted things out after Punk's stupid comments about Hangman a few weeks ago, and made it clear that that sort of shite isn't acceptable. Letting it go meant that this kind of thing was inevitable. He's obviously worried Punk will quit, and Punk even implied that he's considered it, but you can't run a company around the ego of one guy.

I'm interested in what happens with Ace Steel. Khan HAS to fire him and, really, should've done it already. You can't knock anyone out with a chair, much less management, and expect to keep your job. If Khan shits out, for fear of upsetting Punk, it'll destroy the morale in the dressing room.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, unfitfinlay said:

I'm interested in what happens with Ace Steel. Khan HAS to fire him and, really, should've done it already. You can't knock anyone out with a chair, much less management, and expect to keep your job. If Khan shits out, for fear of upsetting Punk, it'll destroy the morale in the dressing room.

Agreed. Punk himself won't get sacked or stripped of the belt but on this basis he can't be allowed to vouch for anyone not known to the business for a very long time.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Indeed. I don't watch AEW to the extent, I assume, most people do on here that follow the company. But Punk is exactly what the promotion needs if they're serious about being a large, competitive wrestling company that appeals to a relatively wide audience. Otherwise it's just a big budget PWG.

How big is the Punk effect in general though? I don't really keep up with merch sales or ratings to that degree, but are they a lot better off with him than without him?

• Paid Members
Just now, DavidB6937 said:

How big is the Punk effect in general though? I don't really keep up with merch sales or ratings to that degree, but are they a lot better off with him than without him?

I don't know about merch and ratings (and frankly who cares) so I can't answer that. I would assume Punk has been a huge merch shifter like he was in WWE, wasn't he?

But just from the outside there seems to be far more external talk about AEW since Punk joined than there was before he did. Barely registered a ripple when all the other ex-WWE stars have signed.