CBBC or CITV

SuperBacon

I think I’m pre CBBC / CITV. Beebs output when i were a lad seemed very middle class. Things like The Box Of Delights or whatever it was called and other shows with well spoken little twats who I knew I could batter because they were posh and I was normal. 

My dad (who in retrospect is probably sociopathic) used to rage at us for watching Grange Hill. He’d yell about how we would spend all day at a school we hated then watch a show about school. One of my most vivid childhood memories is when on Blue Peter they were having Irish dancing on it. Me and my brothers couldn’t give a shite and wanted to play football but our mum was insistent that we watch it (probably to connect with the land we left behind or something). Anyway, show started and we fucked off to the garden to play footie. About ten minutes later my mum comes out with the kitchen broom screaming at us to get in and watch telly while whacking us over the back and head at full force. The dancing commencing as the three of us huddled on our knees in front of the screen, struggling in vain to hold in the tears, with each sniffle met with a “SHUT UP” and a wave of the broom. 

Segment finished, she looked down at her young sons, disgusted, and gave us a few more digs with the broom ordering us out of her house. I went on to grow up to be a perfectly well adjusted man with zero mental health, self esteem, or anxiety issues to speak of. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Raccoons was probably my favourite CBBC show, though was that Saturday mornings only? Can’t remember now. 

Raccoons was definitely on Saturday mornings, immediately before Live and Kicking. I hated Raccoons so found the 22 minutes waiting for it to finish and Live and Kicking to start incredibly painful. It had a fucking ace end credits song though to be fair.

I've just had a memory triggered that both my sisters appeared on Blue Peter when they were 5 or 6, something to do with ballet I think and one of them was asked what they wanted to be when they grew up and she answered "a star".

Then was pressed as to whether she meant a singer, dancer etc and she replied "no, like a star in the sky" the absolute idiot.

Despite never having taped evidence (don't think we had one then) and only going off anecdotes from my Mum and Dad that it happened,  it didn't stop me bringing it up several times a year to piss her off.

22 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Raccoons was definitely on Saturday mornings, immediately before Live and Kicking. I hated Raccoons so found the 22 minutes waiting for it to finish and Live and Kicking to start incredibly painful. It had a fucking ace end credits song though to be fair.

https://youtu.be/usFFKNRB2z8

YT won’t allow embedding, probably cos it’s too much of a banger. I’m wondering if I actually liked the cartoon or if it was just that the song was so great and I’m misremembering. Bert Raccoon was definitely a knob. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, hallicks said:

https://youtu.be/usFFKNRB2z8

YT won’t allow embedding, probably cos it’s too much of a banger. I’m wondering if I actually liked the cartoon or if it was just that the song was so great and I’m misremembering. Bert Raccoon was definitely a knob. 

There’s a cracking cover by British duo Spray. A cracking song indeed. 

On a side note, BBC Saturdays were far better then ITV in the 80’s and early 90’s before Cat, Ant and Dec transformed it

All this time I’ve thought I was CBBC all the way, but this has been an eye opener. All the good shit was on CITV wasn’t it? Although I did watch Blue Peter, there’s just no way that Grange Hill and The Demon Headmaster could compete with Fun House or Finders Keepers. Plus CITV had Thomas the Tank Engine, so they had the advantage from an early age.

What I watched depended on what was airing on that day’s block, if it was any combo of Art Attack, Fun House, Finders Keepers, Knightmare or Sooty then it was CITV, but on a Byker or Grange Hill day it was CBBC

Saddens me that kids TV today is relegated to digital/Freeview (and in CBBC’s case soon to be forever consigned to history) and full of utter tripe, the last good things either block did were modern remakes of classic shows, DangerMouse for CBBC and Thunderbirds Are Go for CITV

• Paid Members

We were a CITV household, and loved it (I was in the Knightmare fan club too!), but I always regretted missing out on stuff like Mysterious Cities of Gold, Ulysses 31, etc. Thankfully some good mates recorded them and lent me the tapes, but they couldn't always get every episode, so my viewing was a bit patchy.

CITV wasn't just baby stuff, dunno what Mr Danger's on about there. I remember being terrified absolutely bloody shitless by Dramarama on several occasions, like those cadets who go up into the mountains and one gets "swapped" by the ghost of a cadet that died up there the previous year, or that lad whose parents buy a creepy mirror with an evil reflection.

Edited by Carbomb

38 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

We were a CITV household, and loved it (I was in the Knightmare fan club too!), but I always regretted missing out on stuff like Mysterious Cities of Gold, Ulysses 31, etc. Thankfully some good mates recorded them and lent me the tapes, but they couldn't always get every episode, so my viewing was a bit patchy.

CITV wasn't just baby stuff, dunno what Mr Danger's on about there. I remember being terrified absolutely bloody shitless by Dramarama on several occasions, like those cadets who go up into the mountains and one gets "swapped" by the ghost of a cadet that died up there the previous year, or that lad whose parents buy a creepy mirror with an evil reflection.

You’ve misunderstood me. CITV for the baby stuff, Wizadora, Tots Tv etc then over to CBBC for the proper programming.

I never got in to the kids dramas on CITV, just seemed naff. They had by far the best kids game shows though. My Parents Are Aliens deserves a mention too.

Lets not underestimate how annoying adverts are too, an area where ITV has never been able to compete.

Edited by Mr_Danger

I use to be a member of the Rolf Harris fan club when he had a show on CITV. You would get sent pencils and sharpener with his face on and some members got to go on his show, where you would make animation out of plasticine and other stuff. Thank god I was never invited on the show 🤣.

• Paid Members

Harris managed to do both channels, didn't he? There was Cartoon Time on a Saturday evening on BBC 2, then he managed to get Rolf's Cartoon Club on CITV

My memories of CBBC are most Andy Crane, Edd The Duck & Wilson the Butler in the broom cupboard, and shows like Around The World With Willy Fogg, Mysterious Cities Of Gold, Ulysses 31, Teenage Mutant Ninja Hero Turtles, Round The Twist, Byker Grove (launched so many careers) Grange Hill (they started showing it from the very first episode on Saturday and Sunday mornings sometime in the 90s), ChuckleVision, Blue Peter (Janet Ellis, Simon Groom & Peter Duncan with Goldie the dog were my generation, but I understand the Konnie Huq/Katy Hill love. Don't forget Diane-Louise Jordan as well) there was also the Really Wild Show. Terry Nutkins and Chris Packham were awesome and Michaela Strachan probably launched millions of puberties in those khaki shorts. Was Get Your Own Back with Dave Benson Phillips on CBBC or was that a weekend thing? 

I can't remember any of the presenters on CITV apart from Jeanne Downes and a huge dog puppet. CITV had Thomas, Woof (with several different protagonists and dogs, but good consistency), Art Attack, Mike & Anĝelo (which seemed to get worse as the cast kept changing, but had some great effects for a kids show), Art Attack, Spatz, Kappatoo, Dogtanian, Zzap, Knight are with Hugo Myatt. I loved Round The Bend, and I'm sure they're all up on YouTube now. It reminds me of some of the stuff they put in Viz. Fun House was always the start of the weekend. I tended to look at the TV Times and Radio Times and figure out what I was going to watch nased on that, but it all went out of the window when I started delivering the evening paper. My round was long, and I was usually home just in time for the last stretch of CBBC while I had my tea, then on my Megadrive for the night. 

Then we got Sky and I was all about Mounya & Yolanda, Sarah Cawood, or Lucy Alexander/Able on Nickelodeon. Renford Rejects, Catdog, Rocko's Modern Life, sometimes I'd stick Sky One on for DJ Kat, but that was normally because Power Rangers wasn't on ITV anymore. 

The Summer Holiday lineups were pretty good as well, and there's probably a whole other thread for Saturday/Sunday morning TV with Going Live, Saturday Superstore, Parallel 9, Ghost Train, The 8.15 from Manchester, Get Fresh, Motormouth, Number 73 etc. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz