CBBC or CITV

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, PunkStep said:

The theme tune to Spatz was definitely used for a level in Micky Mouse Castle of Illusion, I'm convinced

This has blown my mind!

CITV was definitely best. I was always a cartoons kid, and had no interest in watching real people on my TV screen unless it had Neil Buchanan or whacky gameshows involved. Who wants to work a hard 9-3 at school and then spend your free time watching other kids and adults? Boring middle class lah-dee-dah types, that's who. Even the CBBC versions of CITV staples were dull. Art Attack or SMART? It's Neil and The Head every fucking time.

17 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I've just seen our very own @Accident Prone make the bold statement that CITV was vastly superior to CBBC, as it was fun and CBBC was boring.

And I still stand by it!

I think of Round the Bend's Thundercats spoof every time I see the cricketer Jasprit Bumrah's name.

And for Round the Twist, I 'member the presenter speaking over the ending theme to apologise to all those who'd written in to complain about him always speaking over the ending theme.

• Paid Members

CITV usually won the daytime summer holiday war with Ducktails, Gummy Bears, Gargoyles and all their bought in Disney stuff (They also had the Disney Club on the weekend, which was shit)

BBC would usually end up playing the old Children's Films Foundation movies to pad out the mornings so you'd get a young Keith Chegwin prancing round as Robin Hood Junior or Sammy's Super T-Shirt...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

As much as I loved Art Attack on CITV, CBBC did have Bitsa and Smart. 

HartBeat was the forerunner to that one with the legend that was Tony Hart. 

Smart was alright. Kristen O'Brien's debut on the long road to ending up as a continuity announcer on Challenge. She did that documentary about lads' mags on BBC3 as well, when she did a shoot for Loaded.

Mark Speight was a heck of an artist, shame how he ended up passing away. Didn't they do a tribute episode after his passing? 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Nah, it's close, but it's definitely not the same

It's so close that somewhere across the pond, Marvyn Gaye's estate are getting a lawsuit lined up because they love this sort of thing. 

Early to mid 90s children's telly was definitely my version of the Monday Night Wars. I had no loyalty to either brand so would be changing channels throughout the afternoon depending on what was on.

The only hard and fast rules I had were:

Absolutely never watch Blue Peter. I would only ever watch CBBC during that slot on a Tuesday and Thursday. 

No Newsround unless it was one of the episodes where they would be looking at a soon to be released video game console or something. I remember seeing the N64 controller on there and thinking "What?! There are 3 bits for your hands? How will this work??????????"

I must say I havent thought about Round the Bend in a good 20+ years and the mention of it has my mind spiralling,

5 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Harris managed to do both channels, didn't he? There was Cartoon Time on a Saturday evening on BBC 2, then he managed to get Rolf's Cartoon Club on CITV

My memories of CBBC are most Andy Crane, Edd The Duck & Wilson the Butler in the broom cupboard, and shows like Around The World With Willy Fogg, Mysterious Cities Of Gold, Ulysses 31, Teenage Mutant Ninja Hero Turtles, Round The Twist, Byker Grove (launched so many careers) Grange Hill (they started showing it from the very first episode on Saturday and Sunday mornings sometime in the 90s), ChuckleVision, Blue Peter (Janet Ellis, Simon Groom & Peter Duncan with Goldie the dog were my generation, but I understand the Konnie Huq/Katy Hill love. Don't forget Diane-Louise Jordan as well) there was also the Really Wild Show. Terry Nutkins and Chris Packham were awesome and Michaela Strachan probably launched millions of puberties in those khaki shorts. Was Get Your Own Back with Dave Benson Phillips on CBBC or was that a weekend thing? 

I can't remember any of the presenters on CITV apart from Jeanne Downes and a huge dog puppet. CITV had Thomas, Woof (with several different protagonists and dogs, but good consistency), Art Attack, Mike & Anĝelo (which seemed to get worse as the cast kept changing, but had some great effects for a kids show), Art Attack, Spatz, Kappatoo, Dogtanian, Zzap, Knight are with Hugo Myatt. I loved Round The Bend, and I'm sure they're all up on YouTube now. It reminds me of some of the stuff they put in Viz. Fun House was always the start of the weekend. I tended to look at the TV Times and Radio Times and figure out what I was going to watch nased on that, but it all went out of the window when I started delivering the evening paper. My round was long, and I was usually home just in time for the last stretch of CBBC while I had my tea, then on my Megadrive for the night. 

Then we got Sky and I was all about Mounya & Yolanda, Sarah Cawood, or Lucy Alexander/Able on Nickelodeon. Renford Rejects, Catdog, Rocko's Modern Life, sometimes I'd stick Sky One on for DJ Kat, but that was normally because Power Rangers wasn't on ITV anymore. 

The Summer Holiday lineups were pretty good as well, and there's probably a whole other thread for Saturday/Sunday morning TV with Going Live, Saturday Superstore, Parallel 9, Ghost Train, The 8.15 from Manchester, Get Fresh, Motormouth, Number 73 etc. 

I got Sky and Nickelodeon was great, but I still watched a fair amount of British kids shows as they were still really entertaining. Nickelodeon also Aired constantly so if you missed something to watch CITV it would probably be on 5 times later on in the week. 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Butch2000 said:

Channel 4 fucked them all quite hard of a weekend morning. Peter Engels productions, Boy a meets World, having a wank over the one with massive tits in Malibu CA.

Very true. California Dreams was great, amazing theme song.