CBBC or CITV

SuperBacon

I've just seen our very own @Accident Prone make the bold statement that CITV was vastly superior to CBBC, as it was fun and CBBC was boring.

He's wrong clearly, but it did get me thinking as to what was the superior channel?

CITV had Woof, Zzzap!, Children's Hospital, Mike and Angelo, Funhouse and Finders Keepers but CBBC had Byker, Grange Hill, 50/50, The Queens Nose, Demon Headmaster, Get Your Own Back and absolute greatest of all time, Round The Twist.

I remember getting cable and subsequently Nick and Trouble and then the terrestrial channels really did struggle for my attention, but I was always slightly more a Beeb man.

The presenters added to it as well, because if I recall CITV didn't have presenters?

So what ruled after school TV in your household?

CITV for the baby shit, then over to CBBC for some more grown up viewing (whichever one of Melody of Harmony was the older sister on The Queens Nose for some early childhood stirrings and Demon Headmaster for tea time horror) then switch the telly off as soon as Blue Peter came on. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

make the bold statement that CITV was vastly superior to CBBC, as it was fun and CBBC was boring

He's dead right. In my day CBBC was for squares (it isn't anymore, when my kids were growing up CBBC was ace), whereas CITV was much cooler. Blue Peter, Newsround? Fuck off! Give me Mike & Angelo instead thank you very much.

11 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Blue Peter, Newsround? Fuck off! Give me Mike & Angelo instead thank you very much.

I never watched Blue Peter and rarely Newsround.

The irony being that now I try and encourage the kids to watch the latter every day and god, that's the most Dad thing I do, I've just realised.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

CBBC had Blue Peter. Basically extra education after a school day and Newsround. CITV had Hurricanes, Reboot and Bad Influence.

Reboot was absolute shite. 

CBBC for me, but I'd switch over for Sabrina. 

• Moderators

For my age, talking 90s here, CBBC was more consistent overall. CITV had some good stuff but a lot of shite too. Could definitely get dicey at 5pm on CBBC, but as a teenager Katy Hill on Blue Peter changed the dynamic of my viewing of that show*

*talking about wanking ain't I