Double or Nothing 2022

Infinity Land

• Paid Members

Only time I've ever seen the internet used to work people successfully as regards casting doubt on something is when WWE "leaked" that Benoit might not be going over at WM20. Certainly worked me - caused me to jump out of my seat and yell when he finally got the tap.

It's partially because I'm a huge mark for him but I do feel bad for Hangman, outside of the brilliant Bryan matches he's been given absolutely fuck all since he won the title. He was obviously playing second or even third fiddle (I know, that's not a thing) to others on the roster and that was often even shown on event posters where he wasn't the main guy. It's genuinely soured me on one of my all time favourites now being champion.

I had no idea about the MJF thing until reading this thread yesterday. And given there was no talk of it (that I can remember) from the commentary team make me think it's more his own doing than AEW's. But it's done now. Is he done in AEW? I doubt it. He's still got, at least, 18 months left on his contract and I don't see them paying him to stay at home that long. A few months off while he recovers from the "injury" he sustained. Turn back up at All Out in Illinois. Challenge Punk and all is back to normal.

The rest of the ppv was boss though I had no idea who any of the debutants were. I also agree a number of the matches could have happened on either Dynamite or Rampage.

Hardys and Bucks was good because of the Bucks. Did I hear correctly there's an eight man tag involving these two teams coming up? The Hardys do need to retire soon though because it's almost tarnishing their legacy to see them keep turning up like this. It's becoming almost like Alex Higgins in his last few years as a professional snooker player.

Jade and Anna Jay was again better than expected. Probably even better than the first time round. They need to really build somebody up capable of taking the title off Jade and that doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon.

House Of Black and Death Triangle was fantastic. Whether or not it's the end of the feud who knows. And where Varsity Blondes fit in with Julia's heel turn will be interesting. Death Hexagon maybe against a five man team of House Of Black. 

Once Cole beat Joe, it was obvious Britt was winning to. Their little lovey dovey bit on the stage with Schiavone looking awkward was probably the best part of the entire Owen Cup. The handshake from Britt and Ruby may possibly indicate a face turn to set up Cole/Baker v Sammy/Tay for a power couple feud. 

And speaking of Sammy, I thought the mixed trios match was great but that might be because Tay Conti is fucking stunning. Don't know if they turned up the mics in the ring all night because the refs seemed very audible all night as did Kazarian throughout this match. Sammy kicking Tay in the face was a nice alternative ending. Scorpio and Dante Martin should be a good match as well. 

O'Reilly and Darby was a fun little match. I was a little surprised they went with Kyle winning but hey ho.

Thunder Rosa and Deeb was another good match. I can see them going with Statlander as the one to dethrone Rosa to set up a champion v champion match with her and Jade.

Anarchy in the Arena was every bit as good as people have said. And while Eddie is getting all the love on here, all ten involved deserve credit. Kingston and Danielson will be a great feud. Eddie throwing some home truths out about Danielson being a sports-entertainer and forgetting his roots as a wrestler. A trios match of BCC against Kinston, Santana & Ortiz could be all sorts of fun as well. 

Tag Title match was an enjoyable affair. I was expecting Christian to hit the electric chair on Jungle Boy when he had him on his shoulders at the end of the match. I'd rather they put the belts on Starks & Hobbs but never mind eh. 

I enjoyed Hangman and Punk for the world title to. It was one of those matches where whatever the result you'd see the good and bad in it. I suppose though with Punk winning, it allows them to build up to the Forbidden Door main event with him as champion in his hometown. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Only time I've ever seen the internet used to work people successfully as regards casting doubt on something is when WWE "leaked" that Benoit might not be going over at WM20. Certainly worked me - caused me to jump out of my seat and yell when he finally got the tap.

WWE and The Rock making a coordinated attempt to work not just the dirtsheets but also the TMZs of this world into thinking that Justin Bieber and Kim Kardashian were going to host WM27 worked beautifully.

I'd be surprised if there weren't minor tremors caused by millions of people collectively sighing so hard when that woman's legs stepped out of the limo on that Raw!

• Paid Members
Just now, CleetusVanDamme said:

WWE and The Rock making a coordinated attempt to work not just the dirtsheets but also the TMZs of this world into thinking that Justin Bieber and Kim Kardashian were going to host WM27 worked beautifully.

I'd be surprised if there weren't minor tremors caused by millions of people collectively sighing so hard when that woman's legs stepped out of the limo on that Raw!

Ah, see, I haven't watched a WM since 26 (I think). Fair enough.

Never doubted it would be a good show and it was once again. I don't think they're going to do anything about the length of the shows so it's probably pointless mentioning it every time. Think Punk needed to win the title as there was nothing left for the Hangman reign and they've got a few fresh main events they can go to now.

Maybe didn't quite have the wow factor of the other shows they've done since last year as the but then the buildup and product in general have been slightly weaker leading up to it as people have been saying on here, in large part due to how aimless the Owen Cup has felt and the amount of time it's been taking up on the shows. It's great to see him showcased but the tournament itself needs tweaking next time because there's no real reason to get investied in it. The mens final between Cole/Joe not being any more than decent didn't help either, with Britt/Ruby probably being the better match.

Wardlow/MJF was spot on and a proper traditional job on your way out performance by MJF if he really is done. Death Triangle/House of Black was probably the match of the night followed by Anarchy in the Arena and Shida/Deeb. The Hardys look shit these days but the Bucks managed to drag them to a pretty good match.

Bloody hell it was embarrassing when Punk botched the Buckshot not once but twice, and then had his arse fall out for about a minute before the ref tucked him back in. Understandably weird energy from the crowd for a few minutes after. Different sections were already turning on both guys to different degrees, which was fine with the story of the match, but it actually felt like they might turn on the match Goldber/Lesnar-at-Mania-XX style for a moment there.

I can't help but feel this has to lead to Punk turning heel and doing a JBL style chicken shit run, hopefully to be dethroned by Kingston. I just don't think they can maintain the suspension of disbelief that this fella who can't hit a flipping lariat is the 'Best in the World' on a roster full of lads who do perfect 450 splashes for fun.

I'm also predicting Wardlow will deflate quickly once he moves into a new feud. He'll be a fine upper-midcard hoss in the long term like but this Goldberg vibe they're going for won't sustain without the MJF story.

14 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Made all the better as that would’ve been Kim’s second Wrestlemania, having appeared at WM24.

What year was it that everyone was convinced that Charlie Sheen was having a match with Daniel Bryan after some Guest-GM/Social Media Ambassador bit on RAW

33 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Hasn't MJF got nearly a year or so on his contract? AEW aren't going to let him go.

18 months and has flown to LA for this weeks TV. Some people just have trouble accepting they got got on this. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Louch said:

18 months and has flown to LA for this weeks TV. Some people just have trouble accepting they got got on this. 

Can his tantrum and no show be true and that he’s going to be back on TV this week also be true? It was said he had a meeting with Tony Khan Sunday night.