Double or Nothing 2022

Infinity Land

• Paid Members

I thought the PPV over-delivered on an okay build-up. Couple of very fun matches, and some stuff actually happened, so that was good. 

Jade Cargill continues to be amazing - and she looks like an absolute boss leading away her faction at the end.

The mixed tag was more fun than expected, and just got away with the mess of booking - everyone getting fed up with Sammy and Tay just ended up being fun.

I wasn't ready for Hangman's run to end - I really thought he needed to defend against Mox first, and I'd have preferred Punk getting it on a rematch. But I don't hate it either. They likely have a limited time with Punk full-time and being able to capitalise on the buzz of him coming back. While they can add to Hangman's story and come back to him on top at any time - I think Ian mentioned him being like Sting in that way, that it's not only about his first title run. He didn't look out of place with Punk and looked like he could/should have won. I'm looking forward to seeing where both go.

We've had Punk, as a face, being baited into a beating by MJF with genuine concern. We've had him talk about waking up asking 'are you a good man' and replacing it with 'are you the champion?'. The idea that Punk has given up on being a good guy, but hasn't told anyone yet... I'm down with that. Another heel Summer of Punk sounds fun, and if there's a risk this is the last chance for that, might as well do it.

And Hangman... well, I can't wait to see how losing the championship will affect him. This is a wins/losses mattering thing.

• Paid Members

I'd forgotten all about mentioning a couple of the other matches from the show. Quickfire:

Rosa Vs Deeb was excellent. This match on a normal weekly show would have got a hell of a reaction. They did great. 

I thought the intergender tag was an absolute mess. Paige Van Zant is absolutely not ready to be in that position, nor can Conti carry someone. Thank god they are moving on from this whole entire debacle. 

House of Black/Death Triangle was crazy. I did think they went a little past the peak of the match, but it was very enjoyable. Lights out again, can't have a show without that. This all may continue following that finish I guess. Brody King nearly died. 

56 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The fact that this comes off as Matt seeing it as a funny anecdote more than anything is pretty concerning. I worry about Jeff as it is but him being surrounded by people happy to continue to let him do that shit even in that condition? Even worse.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1532559494873350144?t=BIx1UFsr4DyDtER1EAVF1Q&s=19

Spot on Dave.  That is a terrifying proposition, that everyone in that match thought it was ok to let a concussed Jeff Hardy continue and do a Swanton Dive onto the steel steps.

I increasingly suspect Jeff is going to die in the ring; if even his own brother is enabling him then he really is fucked.

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Spot on Dave.  That is a terrifying proposition, that everyone in that match thought it was ok to let a concussed Jeff Hardy continue and do a Swanton Dive onto the steel steps.

I increasingly suspect Jeff is going to die in the ring; if even his own brother is enabling him then he really is fucked.

For ages people said ‘Jeff needs Matt otherwise he goes off the rails’.

I think, in retrospect, they both need WWE otherwise they both fall to pieces.

The freedom of AEW is great, if you’re responsible enough to handle freedom. For Jeff, it’s going to lead to him crippled and overdosing on drugs whilst Matt claps about how he’s no selling the pain.

• Paid Members

Matt has been banging on for ages about Jeff protecting himself on the Swanton by flattening the opponent instead of, you know, just not doing it or limiting it to bug matches. This was when he was in WWE though, I think since Jeff's release, Matt has seen the gravy train pulling in to the station and couldn't give a shit about Jeff's state as long as he can still trott out as the Hardy's tribute act they seem to be these days.

I said it earlier, but Jeff needed to be I'm WWE for his own safety (imagine WWE being the best place for someone's wellbeing, who'd have thought it?). Jeff needs to be limited to what he does, or told no when pitching mad things. It was all thought to be WWE trying to smear Jeff's image when he walked out by painting him as erratic, but since he left, I've seen nothing to state they weren't correct. 

It seems that the match with Darby did quite a lot of damage to Jeff's current health and he is still feeling the effects according to reports.

I don't know about any concussion early on during the match but Jeff was messed up before it started, from watching him walk down the aisle and trying to slap/shake some of the fans hands.

Does anyone know if it's true that when Jeff Hardy signed for AEW, that Matt Hardy was given a brand new two year contract on top? 

• Paid Members

This is a genuine question, but just with the chat around Jeff, does AEW have a wellness policy or drug testing etc? I don't recall seeing too much about it, but I also wasn't looking so it's possibly something that has passed me by.

Also, the match continuing after Jeff was knocked senseless, if true, is just one of many times a match has continued after something like this, mind you, after seeing how the mask was put over MJFs eyes at the end of the match, it's no surprising if these things aren't picked up in the moment.