Double or Nothing 2022

Infinity Land

Given everything that happened in the build-up to this PPV, I think the last thing I expected was a really, really good PPV where almost every match over-delivered.

To be completely fair, I skipped a number of matches like the tag match but even so - I enjoyed things I definitely didn't expect to enjoy like Cargill v Anna Jay, and the Death Triangle v Spoopy Black match.

The Owen Hart tournaments both end with a whimper, and they shouldn't bother with it again. Joe looked as good as he has in a few years, so to see him lose to Adam Cole was legitimately draining.  Cole and Mrs Cole will be must-skip tv for the next few months.

My highlights - 

Young Bucks v Hardys - honestly very entertaining but I hope and pray that's the last match the Hardys ever wrestle.  Jeff forgot to do his boots up properly, that's how messed up he is now.  Shades of him v Sting in TNA where you're honestly expecting them to stop the match.  It's beyond irresponsible to pay him to wrestle now in my opinion as he looks a shoe-in for an early grave.  Great carry job.

Arena Brawl - absolute fucking madness.  I don't really like blood nowadays but this is the sort of match where it works.  I think Eddie killed a guy in that lift.

Serena Deeb v Rosa - they nearly stole the show, mat wrestling and trading submissions.  Rosa is the hardest working wrestler they have, constantly improving.

------

I was disappointed they didn't go with an actual heel turn by one of the faces in the main event.  Decent effort but I'm not sure if Punk is going to work face or heel going forward, and equally not sure it's anywhere close to the most interesting part of AEW at the moment.

My 2 cents - a course correction to focus on the most over people in the company, that being Wardlow and Kingston.  One of those two needs a run at the Championship, preferably Eddie once he's done murdering Jericho at the next PPV.  Wardlow needs to smash through some midcarders to get a shot via the win-loss record.

MJF - shoot or work?  He turned up and did the job but it felt like a goodbye, so maybe he has been playing diva all weekend.

• Paid Members

That arena brawl was all kinds of great. The finish looked fucking sick. 

If AEW dont put a belt on Eddie at some point its a real missed opportunity. 

Watching hook, its a shame he wasnt further in as he would have been perfect for the BCC. 

AEW continue to on killer PPVs. Im even more determined to get tickets to what ever show they run here. 

• Paid Members

Roddy Strong must be absolutely gutted to be stuck in NXT now that pretty much everyone he's every aligned with is in AEW, including his wife.

Never been a fan of Athena / Ember Moon and the debut felt very awkward with the posing and what not. It'd be interesting to see how many of the final Black and Gold NXT roster are now in AEW.

Does Jade need a manager at this point? She is miles from what she was in the Shaq thing before she got Sterling.

Not caught the whole show yet, but I'm really looking forward to the Arena match after reading the comments in here. I think Kingston chasing the belt could be as fulfilling as the Hangman storyline when he finally gets the victory and raises the belt aloft. 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

No issue with Athena turning up, but she'd have been better turning up with less pomp. Bivens could be a great asset, he's charismatic and can be a good mouthpiece. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the show, though I haven't got much to add based on what others have said. I am very interesting to see what they do next with Page. He had a moment of weakness that cost him, but he needs to move away from the title for a bit. Presumably MJF next would be the plan?  Maybe House of Black?

I don’t feel that Jade needs a smooth well spoken manager, Sterling as someone she can bully due to her size and for his mishaps worked well for showcasing her. As said above she doesn’t need to be spoken for, she needs people to bounce off that make her look even more impressive 

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Roddy Strong must be absolutely gutted to be stuck in NXT now that pretty much everyone he's every aligned with is in AEW, including his wife.

Never been a fan of Athena / Ember Moon and the debut felt very awkward with the posing and what not. It'd be interesting to see how many of the final Black and Gold NXT roster are now in AEW.

Strong has been in nXt since October 2016, nearly 6 years.

Imagine being in nXt for 6 years.

Edited by Version1.0

I tapped out live as Sky and Page were coming out and then watched the rest today. All in all, a very good show. They did Wardlow right and if MJF is done, he went out right. But I don't think he's done.

Arena Anarchy was fucking insane. Eddie Kingston is the man.

I'm happy to see the belt on Punk.

I thought it was a slog with very little to care about, match quality may have been fine but this time unlike other PPV's with a less than great build it didn't do enough to make up for it.

At least it started great, hopefully Wardlow has something like War Pigs playing as he comes out on Wednesday and not the fake Disturbed song.