Double or Nothing 2022

Infinity Land

I wonder if MJF had planned to leave and said 'I'll only stay if you put the title on me'. Hence why they had Punk win so him and MJF can square off again and leave Page to sort himself out. Would mean a revisit to Punk v MJF which has a lot more appeal than MJF v Page, IMO.  

Watched it all. Weirdly it didn't 'drag' as much as Revolution felt. Liked pretty much everything, but I have horrible depression atm so I was happy for any distraction. Wardlow/MJF was perfect, exactly what everyone wanted. The Jericho and friends brawl and the Death Triangle match were proper lush. 

19 minutes ago, Chili said:

Watched it all. Weirdly it didn't 'drag' as much as Revolution felt. Liked pretty much everything, but I have horrible depression atm so I was happy for any distraction. Wardlow/MJF was perfect, exactly what everyone wanted. The Jericho and friends brawl and the Death Triangle match were proper lush. 

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been dealing with that. It’s undeniably shit, and I really hope you recover soon. 

17 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been dealing with that. It’s undeniably shit, and I really hope you recover soon. 

Taa, I think everyone was taking it all a bit too seriously and just enjoyed the show. I must add really liking Martha Hart. Some weird ghouls online feel Owen Hart having anything to do with AEW and not WWE is worse than them ignorantly leading to his death and portraying the widow as a shrew. Glad she got to talk. Fuck them. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chili said:

Taa, I think everyone was taking it all a bit too seriously and just enjoyed the show. I must add really liking Martha Hart. Some weird ghouls online feel Owen Hart having anything to do with AEW and not WWE is worse than them ignorantly leading to his death and portraying the widow as a shrew. Glad she got to talk. Fuck them. 

Some ghouls think that by associating with AEW it’s sone kind of cynical cash grab to sell Owen merchandise.

• Awards Moderator

My three favourite matches were Death Triangle vs House of Black, which was a really fun sprint though I’m a bit worried they’ll continue it, Anarchy in the Arena which lived up to its name and they’re definitely continuing it, and the main event, which felt big time and had both guys working their socks off keeping the crowd alive after such a long show.

Good stuff overall, but there’d have been no complaints if they’d dropped a couple of the matches and brought it down to “just” four hours.

16 hours ago, Version1.0 said:

Strong has been in nXt since October 2016, nearly 6 years.

Imagine being in nXt for 6 years.

Wasn’t one of The Ascension in developmental for over a decade?

“Actually managed to get through it in one go” probably isn’t one for the reviews, but it wasn’t as much of a slog as I thought it would be.

The only thing missing from Anarchy in the Arena was for  Natural Born Killaz to kick in after Jericho turned off Wild Thing.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

This was a really good PPV, no surprise there that it delivered on the night despite the build. Listen, it was still far, far too long. That I had to sit up until nearly 1am on a Monday night just to see it all the next day says as much. I know Tony was talking about the length of UFC PPV's but it's really not the same thing at all, as there's so much down time in them. More than half of a UFC ppv involves absolute filler that you can fuck off during and not miss anything. 

Anyway, enough about the time as that's forever going to be an issue with AEW I guess. 

Absolutely delighted MJF turned up in the end. Far and away the best built and most anticipated match on the card, it would have been a huge blow if this didn't happen. It was perfect. Note perfect on the night, just like the build. 

Hardy's and Bucks. Give the Bucks the key to the city for carrying this on their back. They got the last ounce left that the Hardy's probably have. That Matt and Jeff won is worrying as I don't expect them to take a break anytime soon now. A big stretcher job angle could be needed to write them off for a bit, Jeff needs a good fucking lie down. 

Cargill Vs Anna Jay shouldn't have been on the card. Dynamite or Rampage next week was the spot for this. Couldn't care less about Ember Moon or whoever that other fella was that turned up. Jade needs bodies to beat though. 

Another match that I'd have put on Dynamite was O'Reilly Vs Allin. It was actually very good, but sitting here right now, I haven't the faintest memory of who won, or the finish. 

Both tournament finals were pedestrian affairs, at best. The winners were a complete forgone conclusion, and if you aren't on board with them then you were always going to be disappointed. At least Jay Lethal didn't show up. 

That fucking Anarchy in the Arena match. My word. This is always wrestling at it's most fun in my book. Crazy, mental brawls that feel like a fight and that you don't know what's coming next. Terry Funk would have been proud of this carry on. Everyone has mentioned Kingston, who is bloody ace, but there has to be some love for Daddy Magic after this one. He put in a shift here. One of the matches of the year so far for me, I was grinning ear to ear during it. 

Shocked Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus kept the belts. I thought they were nailed on for Hobbs and Starks. The belts should really be on FTR, but Jurassic Express Vs FTR would be a bad idea. They need to go with the Cage turn soon, or stop hinting at it. It's stopping Jurassic Express from actually being involved in a feud as the real dynamic is Christian/Jungle Boy. The belts need to be on a pair that can realistically main event with them if need be. 

Speaking of main events. It was good, but not great. The atmosphere was fantastic, but I don't think they paired off anywhere near as well as Hangman did with Danielson or Omega, or Punk did with MJF. In a re-match they may have, but like Apollo Creed said "ain't gonna' be no rematch". The way to a rematch was for Hangman to get the win here, lose the decider and then get sidetracked by a returning Kenny Omega. Hangman can come back to the belt later on with having unfinished business. Now that he doesn't have that win I'm not sure what's next for him. Punk is probably the right man for the belt at the moment, while he's as hot as he is, I just think they did hangman a disservice with how his reign played out in ways which have been discussed to death, so I'd have liked him to have something to hang his hat on here before they moved the belt off of him. 

Oh, Tony Khan at the post show presser? If that man must enjoy a good party the odd hour or 24. Living it up like it's 1985 brother. 

• Paid Members

haven't watched the show yet, but genuinely finding it mind-boggling that there are people who believe, "make the fans believe that a heavily promoted, advertised match might not take place" is a good way to make money.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

haven't watched the show yet, but genuinely finding it mind-boggling that there are people who believe, "make the fans believe that a heavily promoted, advertised match might not take place" is a good way to make money.

“Will they show up?” Has been used often and successfully. Plus most fans who watch tv will be unaware of anything going on. 

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, Louch said:

Plus most fans who watch tv will be unaware of anything going on. 

If I hadn't been reading this thread on Sunday daytime I wouldn't have noticed anything different to how I expected MJF-Wardlow to go. Even the "he showed up" chant probably wouldn't have registered since MJF was clearly scared of facing Wardog.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Louch said:

“Will they show up?” Has been used often and successfully. Plus most fans who watch tv will be unaware of anything going on. 

and the latter part is the point, really. "Will they show up" when it's something like "Stone Cold Steve Austin has been banned from the arena" on television is completely different to a "story" breaking on social media and through wrestling journalists suggesting that a match might not happen. If it was a work, it was a really stupid one.