Scott Hall passes away

Callum1993

• Paid Members

A real shame. Over the years of being a fan I was never hugely into Scott Hall as a favourite but always enjoyed when he showed up.

Loved doing the Razor’s Edge when we used to wrestle as kids, and his WMX8 Stunner bump is an all-timer. I may have missed him in his prime as Razor but the legacy he left behind even for a fan starting to watch in 2000 was exceptional. One of those you think will live forever and to lose him to something so unexpected is a real shame.

When the NWO music plays, what do you start doing? I bet it's not air guitar or throwing the Wolfpac symbol.

I've been on a binge of his matches obviously, and it's so sad to say goodbye to another one from an era where everyone had their own style. Everything Razor did was pure Razor. He was so laidback but so intense, it belied the fact it was an incredible athlete and worker. Like someone earlier said, Shawn was known for his engine, but every match they had, Razor matched him every step of the way and never looked gassed. His acceleration was absolutely incredible, but so brilliantly controlled. On top of all that, everything he did told a story. His insights even in his more-addled days were spot-on; there's the well-known stories about his advice to Big Kev, but even guys like Malakai Black have stories about him taking a moment to pas on some wisdom (usually a variation of "slow down, kid"!). His HOF speech is perfect, simultaneously heartbreaking and heartwarming now, knowing how low he could to how far he then came. We all have to go some time, but congratulations to him for being able to spend the last decade of his life clean, sober and visibly happy.

I know this is a side point but still, from his debut in 1984 to those standard-setting ladder matches with Michaels, it was ten years. Just ten years.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members
On 3/15/2022 at 6:59 PM, wandshogun09 said:

It’s why I never bought Shane Douglas’ claims that Hall sandbagged him when they wrestled in 95. Hall obviously wasn’t without flaws and I could see him being a nob backstage if he didn’t like you but I never got on board with the idea that he’d sabotage his own matches just to make someone look bad. 

It’s not just Shane that claims it. Office guys/Shawn all recall Hall complaining that Douglas was out of shape and unable to keep up in the ring, he’s visibly pissed off and not trying at In Your House in Winnipeg, and Bruce describes that on the European tour shortly after, the more winded Douglas would get, the faster Hall would try and move from spot to spot.

To play Devils Advocate, I think Kid saying “Not happening” was more damaging to Shanes prospects than anything Razor said, or did.

• Paid Members

I dunno. Sure, being shown up and not helped as much as you could have been by the people you're programmed opposite is going to hurt. At the end of the day though, if Razor or whoever else went and gave it everything they had to get Douglas over. . . It's still Shane Douglas, playing Dean Douglas. He was DOA. 

Edit: Beaten to it by Dev. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Waltman talks about Douglas in one of KC shoots and points out that Douglas didn't have a chance anyway due to that piss awful gimmick. They were doing him a favour giving him the thumbs down, meant he could get back to ECW.

• Paid Members

Wasnt Yokozuna the one who initially buried Douglas for not being in shape (LOL) and not being at it on a house show? I think the words were something like "you better take whatever pills you need to or fuck off home because we arent carrying you." If Yoko thought you were a cunt, you were done, because everyone respected Plonker Rodney.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Didn't Douglas also drop out of a match with Yoko on tour because he was "too tired"?

No. They were both heels. The European tour in question, Douglas worked Razor every night and Yoko main evented with Diesel.