Scott Hall passes away

Callum1993

• Paid Members

@wandshogun09The Savio stuff was thrown together because they’d long discussed doing something with “someone from Razors past,” Razor had always liked working with Savio, and Kid was injured. They announced Razor & Kid vs Double J & Roadie for the first In Your House before Kid fucked his neck.

Spot on about teaming Kid because they were turning him heel. Scott campaigned loudly to work Hunter or Kid instead of Goldust that winter and they moved the focus back to Kid at the Rumble to placate Hall somewhat. They obviously still would have concluded Razor/Goldust at Mania 12 but he gave his notice and failed his piss test, so that put paid to that.

10 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

B9610C16-8C18-4EFF-8C8A-47577D66B413.gif

Guy always looked the bollocks and in my mind what I always wanted a wrestler to be/look like (different than 99% of those walking down the street)

God i miss  those days, when everyone had a different look, moveset and interview style. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

God i miss  those days, when everyone had a different look, moveset and interview style. 

I miss those days too, when nobody called it a “moveset.”

I do sometimes wonder what would have happened had Hall after WCW let him go in 2000 returned under the Razor gimmick?

I do remember WOW or POW, or whatever mag speculating  on this. 

He still looked the part physically. Had he been able to stay straight (big If... But he would have been surrounded by 'apparently' clean living HHH and Michael's and not in the WCW cauldron of poison) where would he have fit? 

Razor vs the roster 2000-2002 would have been quite interesting! 

• Paid Members

I can’t see him coming back as Razor in 2000 myself. The WWF was deep into the Attitude era by then and I just don’t think they’d have had Hall come back and don the lime green razor trunks again at that point. I’m guessing he’d have probably came back as Scott Hall and been part of heel DX, going after The Rock and whoever. Could be wrong though. Who knows with Vince?

I don’t think it would’ve worked out too good for him anyway. He had too many issues around that time and even though he’d have been around Triple H, Shawn didn’t get clean until about 2001ish, did he? And X-Pac was probably just as bad at the time. Probably wouldn’t have been any better for him in that way than WCW was. Wherever he was, he’d have had his problems with that.

On the subject of a WWF return before it actually happened though, I do remember seeing this at Royal Rumble 2001 and my naive 15 year old mind instantly jumping to the conclusion that it meant the ‘Bad Guy’ was on his way home, chico…

09F04BCB-FAB8-437B-9ABF-D65E0E844347.gif

I always found it a little telling he never got picked up in late 2000 or 2001. He had the brief appearance in ECW and then became a bit of a regular in New Japan in 2001.

The WWF had taken Bulldog and Regal back in 99/2000 when there were doubts over them.

It wouldn't have made sense, but Scott Hall appearing to signal the start of the Invasion always seemed like a fun idea to me.

• Paid Members

Hall appearing in ECW always looks so wrong to me. I was a big ECW fan and I do love that moment when he makes his entrance and the crowd reaction he gets. But Scott Hall just felt too big time to be coming through that piddly fake brick entrance way. It was the same when Sid was there briefly in 1999. There’s big fish in small ponds, then there’s plonking a great white shark in your local swimming pool. But then Terry Funk in ECW didn’t look out of place at all to me and and he was the fucking man and I love Funk even more than Hall or Sid. It’s weird. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

He still looked the part physically. Had he been able to stay straight (big If... But he would have been surrounded by 'apparently' clean living HHH and Michael's and not in the WCW cauldron of poison) where would he have fit?

The time period you’re on about, Shawn was still strung out on pain pills. They brought him to TVs right before Mania 17 with the idea of doing something with him and he was a mess. It was the episode where Jericho disguised himself as Doink to fool Regal, and Chris tells the story of Shawn running into him backstage with the makeup on, clearly out of his head slurring “Chris, you’re doing the Doink gimmick now?” and however many times Jericho tries to explain it’s just for one angle, HBK just keeps repeating “I just don’t see why they’re making you be Doink.” Hanging around Shawn in 2000-2001 wouldn’t have helped Hall at all.

11 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

The WWF had taken Bulldog and Regal back in 99/2000 when there were doubts over them.

There’s “doubts” and then there was Scott Hall in 99-2002. Even excluding the effects of his personal substance abuse problems on him, there was professional unreliability - frequently in WCW you never knew if he was going to turn up or not or in what condition, you never knew when the next injury would happen or if it was real, and if he did turn up, you never knew what he was going to do. Both he and Kev fell into a habit of doing whatever they wanted even including things they were explicitly told not to because they knew they’d get away with it. Not to mention the litany of legal issues he had to keep dodging. It felt like no issue of Power Slam came for years without hearing about Dana having to sue him for late child support payments or police turning up to Nitro because he’d groped a 56 year old woman in the car park or keyed someone’s car for a laugh. When all three of the nWo talked about proving they’d changed when they entered the WWF in 2002 there was more truth to it than you might have guessed, and unfortunately it didn’t take that long to figure out Scott was still Scott. I loved his work but let’s not forget the times that he wasn’t a liability were fleeting.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

The WWF had taken Bulldog and Regal back in 99/2000 when there were doubts over them

More of a reply to @air_raidon this point, but wasn't the rehire of bulldog a political move more than anything else, given the ongoing issues with the Hart estate?

Also they pulled regal toot sweet and cut him loose almost as quick but pulled some strings to make sure he stayed in the US to get a chance to sort himself out didn't they, because ultimately despite his issues he was very well respected by some key people at the time. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

More of a reply to @air_raidon this point, but wasn't the rehire of bulldog a political move more than anything else, given the ongoing issues with the Hart estate?

Basically, it was an opportunity to babyface themselves and show the world “Hey look, the family are happy to work with us” especially with Diana sat right there in those interviews, trying to indicate it’s only the vindictive widow with the problem, not the actual Hart family. Knock on effect, splitting the family again (who were dysfunctional enough in happier times) causing Bret to liken the sight of Davey on WWF TV like watching a dog rolling around its own poo.