WWE Royal Rumble 2022

Perry

• Paid Members

Imagine having someone with the upside of Big E and utterly wasting their first title win and reign, when you have a Rumble and Mania coming up with this little interest. For the last year or so, Big E being THE GUY to take down Reigns was something people were talking about seriously wanting. 

21 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Muckie got eliminated by Lita? I guess it kind of makes sense if they're building to a Mania match for Lita and want to make her look like she's still got it, but otherwise it's just somebody from another company getting eliminated by somebody who hasn't wrestled a match in over 15 years. Mind you, she did get beaten by Mickie in that match, so has finally managed to get her heat back. 

No one is going to remember or care who eliminated Mickie. Just that she got Hardcore Country, walked in as champion from another company and didn't get the Bushwhacker treatment.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

"it's wrestling, it doesn't need to make sense", 

Sort of on this subject, focussing on the finish of Lesnar vs. Lashley, have they always been so loose in regards to referees running down and ignoring the blatant interference that’s just happened?

It felt super jarring the way Roman hit Brock with the belt and then a new referee, with a clear head, having presumably been watching on the monitor, immediately ran out to count to three, not even considering calling for a DQ. I’m sure they used to at least attempt to justify such a spot, with a groggy referee coming to after a bump. The way it played out last night you’d think Roman and Paul had paid the ref off.

Has it always been this way? Or did this show just put me in such a bad mood that I noticed it more?

Was it just me who thought that Kelly Kelly was a completley different person? Not that anyone would care even if it were, but it genuinely looked like someone different.

There was a part in the mens Rumble when it was Ziggler, Sheamus, AJ, Corbin and Gable. The same faces that have been there for an eternity. Then a bit later they were joined by Rey, KO and McIntrye. The same lot who were there 10 years ago. Not sure how anyone can watch this week in and week out and not be bored by the same faces.

Do they even bother 'writing' for the PPVs these days? Dont they have huge teams of 'creative'? Both Rumbles were devoid of anything creative. Someone came in, did a few moves, and were usually just eliminated straight away in the blandest way possible. Seems like absolutley no thought had been put into either match. No bigger example of this than Knoxville. Youve known for weeks that hes going to be in this match, and this is the best they could come up with for him? I genuinely dont understand, its like theyve actually made an effort to make it as bland, uncreative, and unmemorable as possible. They had Cameron followed by Naomi in the Rumble, but booked Cameron to get eliminated before Naomi come out. Granted, no one really cares, but the absolute basics of a Rumble would have had them do a few moves and reunion in the ring to a decent pop. Almost deliberate sucking the fun out of things.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Sort of on this subject, focussing on the finish of Lesnar vs. Lashley, have they always been so loose in regards to referees running down and ignoring the blatant interference that’s just happened?

It felt super jarring the way Roman hit Brock with the belt and then a new referee, with a clear head, having presumably been watching on the monitor, immediately ran out to count to three, not even considering calling for a DQ. I’m sure they used to at least attempt to justify such a spot, with a groggy referee coming to after a bump. The way it played out last night you’d think Roman and Paul had paid the ref off.

Has it always been this way? Or did this show just put me in such a bad mood that I noticed it more?

One of WWE's weird diktats in recent years has been that when a referee is knocked out, it's always a replacement referee that has to call the finish, never the original ref recovering.

That, in itself, wouldn't be terrible, but like so much of this stuff all it would take was a little attention to detail to make it make sense - either do something like having multiple refs rush out to try and tend to the bumped ref so there's a sense of chaos and a logical reason for them to miss the interference, or have a single line of commentary about why a referee wouldn't just call for a DQ.

My first thought was that you'd say a second referee wasn't the original ref assigned to the match so couldn't make the call, but then presumably they wouldn't be able to count the pin either. But you could bullshit that they aren't empowered to make any decisions until they're in the ring or something.

46 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Imagine having someone with the upside of Big E and utterly wasting their first title win and reign, when you have a Rumble and Mania coming up with this little interest. For the last year or so, Big E being THE GUY to take down Reigns was something people were talking about seriously wanting. 

Vince doesn't rate him as a top guy, never has. Creative pushed for Big E-Reigns at last years Mania, and Vince said no. Creative talked Vince into giving him the belt, he had buyer's remorse immediately, and now he's done. Back to Smackdown with Kofi you go.

I haven't watched any WWE in probably approaching 2 years but the Rumble has always been my favourite and a Saturday night meant I could get up without it absolutely fucking me for work so I'd been looking forward to it for a while.

What a let down, honestly. 

The opener was a really promising start, the last I had seen Rollins he was insufferable but he was brilliant here and it felt like something different, imaginative and not the WWE I was used to. Then came the DQ finish which have others have said seemed to have left the crowd so fucked off it set the tone for the rest of the night.

I'm sorry but the womens Rumble was dreadful. Full of surprise returns who were near immediately eliminated, botched spots, weak looking offense and selling. Did it elevate a single person in it? Rousey looked every single bit like she was contractually obliged to be there and even Charlotte's elimination was dreadful.

Women's title match was fine.

The big problem with Lesnar/Lashley is that after a 20 year build it ended in such a shite way AND the moment that happened it killed my optimism for the Rumble because I absolutely knew Lesnar was now going to be in and win it.

The rumble itself was not great. Guys like Boogs and Madcap Moss genuinely looked like video game CAW's you are made to face in early stages of career mode's on wrestling games.

Orton coming out to a huge hometown reaction to get unceremoniously eliminated again was just odd. Why not have him break up the middle stretch of rubbish and have him do something meaningful to have actually give him and the crowd some moments and even build something for Mania?

It has not left with me with any desire to watch Wrestlemania let alone to check out RAW and I genuinely wonder who is still watching this shit weekly.

4 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

The rumble itself was not great. Guys like Boogs and Madcap Moss genuinely looked like video game CAW's you are made to face in early stages of career mode's on wrestling games.

How dare you throw Boogs in with Madcap. I won't have anyone slander Boogs like that. He's way more interesting. Although yeah I guess if you're judging on the Rumble I probably can't argue much.

After reading what everyone thought about it I'm quite shocked that I genuinely enjoyed so much of this show......but once again they found a way to fuck it up with nonsensical booking.

The royal rumble has always been my favorite PPV of the year I get so much enjoyment out of it. 

The Rollins vs reigns opener was really fucking fun until the end which was so shitty because they made Rollins look enjoyable for the first time in fucking decades then have the match end like that.

It seems I'm on My own here but I loved the woman's rumble match, enjoyed the surprises but the pace of the match was painful and so clear that half the women are too small to go over the top rope without fucking climbing them and over that way.

The Brock vs Lashley match was fun until the finish which clearly setup Brock vs reigns at wrestlemania........

The men's rumble was easily the most boring and disappointing rumble ever. They had none of the fun returns they fucking littered the women's rumble with. Then Brock coming out at number 30 and winning just fucking waisted someone else getting the push. He was always going for reigns so why do this?

The best bit that summed up how fucking stupid the commentary team are and clearly how thick they think the fans are was after he won saying I wonder who he will choose........well ill put bets on the guy that screwed him out of his title match a hour or so ago and who he's been feuding with for the past 6 months if not longer.

How can you fuck something up this badly that is a guarantee pull for new/old fans 

Just given the last few minutes of the men’s Rumble another watch because my missus wanted to see the finishes to every match, rather than watch the entire event.

I think we all bemoan WWE for their often awful long term booking, but they couldn’t even get short term booking right.

I can’t quite understand why, when entering the Rumble at number 30, Lesnar is all smiles and happy. An hour earlier he was screwed out the WWE title. He should’ve been enraged and BROCK SMASH, bloody up every bastard in the ring and chuck them out in very short order, to send Reigns the message that he’s dead at Mania. But no, smiling Lesnar just does the “worked” finish. They didn’t even want to sprinkle any kind of heat on it.

• Paid Members

I actually watched the Royal Rumble due to it being on a Saturday night and pure intrigue what they would do with Mickie James.

This was my first attempt at watching any WWE since an episode of Smackdown just before a house show in Liverpool at the tail end of last year, which I thought was fucking awful.

My main takes are that WWE are still the kings of that big match feel. I went from not having an idea what the match card was to being reasonably invested in Reigns v Rollins and Lesnar v Lashley due only to the pre-match videos etc.

The flipside is that the show was just way too 'busy' for my liking. As someone who dabbles in a bit of AEW and 2 hours of basic small arena wrestling with Impact, its a shock to the system to see all these (imo shit looking) 3D statues, obviously set up entrances and Michael Cole shilling something or another every 30 seconds. It really isn't necessary and this over-production really is a hindrance to what's going on. (Sorry but Pat McAffee looks like a total dork as well).

As very much a lapsed fan I was confused as to the Rollins/Reigns dynamic as I thought Reigns was a heel, but it was Rollins who was acting most like a heel. It didn't help that they were selling it on nostalgia for the Shield, when even that was an act that came past my fandom really.

The women's Rumble I quite enjoyed I must say. Despite not having a clue who half the entrants were, there were enough legends/well known ones to keep my interest going. Melina looks superb for 42 doesn't she?! Was impressed they let Mickie James use her TNA theme music and come out with the Impact title, fair play.

(Wasn't sure about Michelle McCool's evangelical republican ring gear mind).

Brock Lesnar v Lahsley was great. Give me a big bastards hoss fight anyday over AEW sadly gravitating to the likes of noodle arms Adam Cole and the old NXT crew.

Was way too late to bother with the mixed tag (which seemed like a total waste of time) and the men's Rumble (which sounds shit) though.

Nothing I saw will bring me back to WWE, but it was better than my very low expectations though.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Women's Rumble was fine - at least you had Charlotte, Rhea, Sasha, Bianca, Shayna or Rousey as the possibilities of winning, whereas the men's rumble it was very much AJ...maybe Big E...maybe Drew....oh Lesnar's here. 

Camera cuts were ridiculous - like you had Boogz gorilla pressing Gable, about to throw him out, and they cut to Sheamus and Ziggler fondling each other instead? Makes no sense.