WWE Royal Rumble 2022

Perry

6 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I know she does the "bad bitch" mean mug, but she seemed shitty from her entrance

She was one of the few whose entrance I actually liked, since she had her game face on. Wrestlers are supposed to be walking out prepared to fight, not grinning from ear to ear like Kelly Kelly as if they've just arrived at their own surprise birthday party.

The men's Rumble must surely go down as one of the worst of all time.   I don't think it was "bad" like 2015, but it was just boring.   The women's match wasn't much better, but it was.   I would much have preferred Lashley's Mania challenger have been the Rumble winner and have Brock win the Elimination Chamber to challenge Reigns.   Who is Lashley gonna face at Mania anyway?   Reigns vs. Rollins was pretty good though as was Lesnar vs. Lashley.   Lynch vs. Doudrop was a bit boring, but the Edge/Phoenix vs. Maryse/Miz match was rubbish.

• Awards Moderator
28 minutes ago, Tamura said:

She was one of the few whose entrance I actually liked, since she had her game face on. Wrestlers are supposed to be walking out prepared to fight, not grinning from ear to ear like Kelly Kelly as if they've just arrived at their own surprise birthday party.

I think I heard them say on commentary that Kelly Kelly has been in all five Women's Rumbles. I'm not sure what I think about that but it's fun that they still try to treat it like a surprise even though she hasn't missed one yet.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Pinc said:

Michael Cole’s Rumble commentary is becoming a signature part of his brand for all the wrong reasons. The constant feigned surprise/elation at every single entrant is exhausting and impedes the story of the match by trying to present everything at the same fever pitch. Diminishing the genuine big deals/actual surprises.

my "favourite" Michael Cole thing is when his rattling off stats to try and put someone over just makes them sound like absolute shit. When Dolph Ziggler came out, he said something like, "he has the second most Rumble appearances in history, he's been in fifteen Rumbles and eliminated a total of twelve superstars", and I just thought, "fucking hell, that's rubbish".

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, The Dart said:

Who is Lashley gonna face at Mania anyway?

We’re not supposed to care. The WWE title and it’s champion are just footnotes on this page of the real story, which is Reigns vs Lesnar.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Vamp said:

To be fair that's still more effort than anyone should be putting in to try and get Ziggler over as impressive in 2022. 

It's probably more effort than Ziggler makes nowadays. How's his stand up career doing? 

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

We’re not supposed to care. The WWE are just footnotes on this page of the real story, which is Reigns vs Lesnar.

Fixed it. 

What I find funny/interesting/depressing is how long Reigns/Lesnar have been circling each other over the last 10 years, and yet I still don’t see it as a great rivalry (or even a long term rivalry, as such) in the same way as Rock/Austin or Cena/Edge or Cena/Punk even.

They’re just two guys (who I think are great, don’t get me wrong), but just two guys who occasionally have a bit of beef and then Roman gets booed.

• Paid Members

Reigns and Lesnar first main evented Wrestlemania seven years ago. Them headlining this year would be the equivalent of the WWF sacking off plans to do Austin vs. Michaels in 1998 and running a Hogan/Slaughter rematch instead.

I get that the dynamic is somewhat different - Lesnar as face, Reigns as heel, Heyman in the mix - but the actual structure of the match will likely be little different to every other time they've wrestled. If Reigns finally wins, it's the culmination of a project of anointing him as the company's top star that they should have completed in 2015. If Lesnar wins, the whole thing just drags on interminably even more. 

There are issues with WWE that run far, far deeper than how they have pushed or not pushed individual wrestlers, but the last few years could have been very different if they had just gone through with actually building Roman Reigns as the top star by having him beat Lesnar in 2015 rather than chickening out and going for a "WRESTLEMANIA MOMENT" with Rollins cashing in the briefcase. At that point, Lesnar still had that rare kind of credibility that means that - even though you know it's a work - you still believe that anyone holding their own against him in a match must be the real deal. Having Reigns hold his own convincingly in a really hard hitting, excellent brawl with Lesnar was their best effort to actually change audience perceptions of him and get him over with the doubters, and they sacrificed it for a highlight reel moment. Three years later, again, they didn't go through with it. Four more years, and he we go again. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

If Reigns finally wins, it's the culmination of a project of anointing him as the company's top star that they should have completed in 2015. If Lesnar wins, the whole thing just drags on interminably even more.

So...Mania finish talk...

Spoiler

The plan has always been Brock beating Roman at Mania. It's why Roman won at Crown Jewel and was scheduled to win at Day 1. As mentioned in the Smackers thread, the plan was Heyman was going to turn on Brock at Day 1. The Rumble booking was to get "back on track", if you will.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Awards Moderator

Brock winning from #30 means (I think - without @tiger_rick's stats I'm lost) that number has now tied with #27 for the most winners. Although since it seems #27 hasn't won the Rumble since 2001, and people only started winning from #30 in 2007, it's now finally the case that your best chance of winning the Rumble is by getting the #30 spot.

Where are you and your stats Rick, THIS is why the match was so disappointing this year.